'Ow Much!?

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think you'll find that every £4 spent is 1p in points.
Not such a great deal after all, especially now that the reward deals you can get from Tesco are very limited.
We used to have a Clubcard Plus and get 2p in points for every £1 spent, but Tesco shut that down a few years back.
The old 4x rewards deal enabled us to get a sking holiday with Swiss Travel every other year from our Clubcard points.
Nowadays about the only thing that we can find worth spending them on is Pizza Express vouchers.

Sorry I meant 1 point for every £4 spent

1 point for every £1 spent in store

Even still it does add up when you put everything you spend on it

I should put the mortgage on it lol

PNWokingham

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So, if one disagrees with companies making massive profits they want communism? That’s quite a leap.

Someone needs to put the Daily Mail down for a bit ?

Morons that come on here quoting the daily mail as the source of anything they disagree with

RRidges

Visit site
  • BP gross profit for the quarter ending June 30, 2022 was $22.140B, a 133.05% increase year-over-year.
  • BP gross profit for the twelve months ending June 30, 2022 was $58.968B, a 47.44% increase year-over-year.
  • BP annual gross profit for 2021 was $44.121B, a 56.42% increase from 2020.
  • BP annual gross profit for 2020 was $28.207B, a 43.11% decline from 2019.
  • BP annual gross profit for 2019 was $49.582B, a 0.53% increase from 2018.
It must have been hell, only making $28b profit.
Never mind, with the 78% increase due in Oct, that will mean a twelve month profit of over $100b

https://www.macrotrends.net/stocks/charts/BP/bp/gross-profit
Those figures are misleading!
You are confusing 'gross profit' (also known as gross income) with profit as per Balance sheet or reported to Stock Exchange and Companies House.
As an example, BP actually made a $20B loss in 2020 - as per this doc https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/b.../investors/bp-fourth-quarter-2020-results.pdf or this one https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/bp-records-highest-profit-eight-years-2021-2022-02-08/

Last edited:

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Those figures are misleading!
You are confusing 'gross profit' (also known as gross income) with profit as per Balance sheet or reported to Stock Exchange and Companies House.
As an example, BP actually made a $20B loss in 2020 - as per this doc https://www.bp.com/content/dam/bp/b.../investors/bp-fourth-quarter-2020-results.pdf or this one https://www.reuters.com/business/energy/bp-records-highest-profit-eight-years-2021-2022-02-08/

I know what gross profit means.
I was comparing the last 3 years numbers which show the figures increasing 133.05% year over year BEFORE the 78% increase due on Oct. 1st.
How can any energy company announce record profits and in the same breath, announce such massive price increases

Voyager EMH

Slipper Wearing Plucker of Pheasants
Visit site
I was comparing the last 3 years numbers which show the figures increasing 133.05% year over year BEFORE the 78% increase due on Oct. 1st.
How can any energy company announce record profits and in the same breath, announce such massive price increases

Is it because they are in the business of making as much money as possible or am I missing something?

D-S

Visit site
I guess the issue that we have to grapple with (on a lot of things e.g. LIV golf) when is too much really too much?

RRidges

Visit site
Sorry, but that seems like an excuse to exaggerate 'profits' that weren't actually there!
How do you explain the actual loss in 2020?
FWIW. I hope you didn't actually know what 'gross profit' meant. If you did, that would indicate an element of deception to your post - as every company hopefully sells their goods or services at a profit!
Oh. And I have to declare something of a vested interest. My UK pension company informed me that it took a positive position in BP - a little after the 2020 loss.

Last edited:

sunshine

Visit site

I’m not sure you do know what gross profit is, otherwise you wouldn’t be quoting it.

Also, why do you keep banging on about a 78% increase in October? Bp isn’t a utility company. Do you even know what bp is? Try this: bp.com

The group is vast, covering many businesses across the world. The headline profit numbers sound huge but aren’t enormous in the context of revenue, it’s only 13% net margin.

The profits are largely returned to shareholders via share buy back and dividends, which is good for the UK economy. Anyone can buy shares in bp and most of us are already invested via our pension fund. They also pay a lot of tax and employ a lot of people.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
''This is a catastrophic situation of the like we have never seen before.'' Martin Lewis

If you were paying £1,277 for your gas and electricity last winter, this winter you will pay £3,616.
https://www.newstatesman.com/chart-of-the-day/2022/08/uk-energy-bills-price-cap-rise-again

Energy industry analysts Cornwall Insight estimated the typical domestic customer was likely to pay £3,358 a year from October.
Now that the cap can rise every three months, it expects it to go up again to £3,615 a year from January.
The average bill was £1,400 a year in October 2021.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-58090533

Due to continuous increases in global demand, industry sources have advised a further rise in the October price cap taking the average household energy bill to approximately £3500*, and with Ofgem announcing there will now be a review every 3 months, a further increase is expected to around £3600* in January.
https://www.britishgas.co.uk/energy-price-news.html

Call me a thicko if you want but that is not good news while energy companies make record profits.

Last edited:

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I’m not sure you do know what gross profit is, otherwise you wouldn’t be quoting it.

Also, why do you keep banging on about a 78% increase in October? Bp isn’t a utility company. Do you even know what bp is? Try this: bp.com

The group is vast, covering many businesses across the world. The headline profit numbers sound huge but aren’t enormous in the context of revenue, it’s only 13% net margin.

The profits are largely returned to shareholders via share buy back and dividends, which is good for the UK economy. Anyone can buy shares in bp and most of us are already invested via our pension fund. They also pay a lot of tax and employ a lot of people.

I agree on this, I’m aware of quite a few manufactures in my industry turning between £10-35mil all returning a nett profit of between 25-30%.

Selco group plc returned around 26% nett in 20/21.

Record profits may be there due to volume sales, but I’d honestly expect to see a giant force like BP to deliver at least 20%.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It seems I'm the only one worried about the cost of my energy increasing 3 fold in 12 months.
Hey ho, as long as the shareholders are happy and sod everybody else.

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
How many times do you have to be told that the oil companies making massive profits are not the same companies that are increasing their retail energy prices to the householder?
Those household energy suppliers are not making big profits - indeed lots of them went bust because of the price cap.

I agree that there's a societal problem about energy supply that needs to be sorted, but I don't know what it might be. Windfall taxes ring fenced for energy supply subsidies, perhaps?