over the top swing help

fat-tiger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
im having lessons at the minute ,to change from my normal over the top swing path, out to in , to try and attack the ball from the inside and go in to out, but i just carnt help coming over the top even when i think i aint, next lesson is lesson 4, but really struggling and not really progressing, what he is telling is correct and see it on trackman etc and camera ,any tips would be gratefully received

theres wasnt to much wrong with old swing just lost abit of distance of tee etc im now thinking should i have changed,

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
It is difficult to change from an out to in swing.
How bad is it?
Just say you are hitting into a green from around 150 and you aim straight. If you take a divot, is it left side of the green, left bunker, left of the bunker or Smiffy country?

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
FT, I've not much further to add other than I feel your pain. It's effing difficult to change.

What he said.

Bob (see above) helped me last year to try and stop me throwing over the top and coming out-to-in.

I *think* I'm finally getting there, not filmed my swing in a while, but all the signs are positive - divots pointing in the right direction, ball starting right or straight (i.e., where I'm aiming) and drawing (for my "stock" shot), no more banana slices that start way left and slice back to, or past, the target...But it's taken nearly a year (on an off) of hard work.

fat-tiger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
It is difficult to change from an out to in swing.
How bad is it?
Just say you are hitting into a green from around 150 and you aim straight. If you take a divot, is it left side of the green, left bunker, left of the bunker or Smiffy country?

hi bob

with short irons it doesnt really fade to much ,its with driver etc the lower lofted clubs, 150yrd i would prob hit 6 iron halfway between left bunker and pin and just let it fade back, driver would prob start down left and finish in middle ,when i get a bad 1 ,i-e when i try to go after it just spins out right to left, but for me to keep progressing at the game im trying for a bit more length on my long game

Val

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Im no expert (far from it) but try keeping a glove under your left armpit untill after impact, this should help stop the arms going out from the body and maybe help a bit. Another thing to try is imagine trying to tuck your right elbow into your right pocket in the downswing. Get these 2 together and you may not be far away.

1 of the big problems is over thinking it also, your head gets so full of mush that you forget what your trying to do in the first place.

fat-tiger

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
very true valentino, one drill i was trying to do yesterday was put the alinement sticks upright in ground so i had to attack from in side or i would of hit the stick ,it was one of better drills ive done

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
laying the club off at the top can cause you to bring the club back on an out to in path. watch the video and see if it will help. i hit the straightest drives of my life yesterday after putting this right!

[video=youtube;x4i7hGcJ234]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4i7hGcJ234&feature=fvwrel[/video]