Over Analysis is making me worse

billyg

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Never analyse your self on the course, never ever!
Sure think about which club to play for course management, or how your set up is before swinging the club but that's it.
Do all your analysis at the range or practise ground then on the course try not to think at all, just trust your swing.
That's the theory anyway ;)

I think this probably a good idea. i'm more or less in the same boat as you in terms of developing a swing so can't really offer more than how ive decided to go about it.

Most books, vids. and pros start with the grip and set up because they are things that can be repeated and practiced at will at home with a club to hand. While opinion may vary slightly from tutor to tutor there is at least a broad consensus of how these things are best optimised- 'rules' if you like.

for example- experiment with different grip types until you find the one that suits but in a basic neutral position. Just sorting this bit out is an investment of time but i would lay money the pro's all spent their adolescence doing grip and set up (fnaar fnaar)

Get those bits down pat first(could take months). If you've got these well grounded then by default you can take them out of the equation and look elsewhere for where problems lie.

It seems so easy to take them for granted but even the pros. go for check-ups to make sure they haven't let the basics slip out of kilter.

Once your confident that youve got as much as you can out of the pre-swing mechanics then start building it up bit by bit. Doesn't matter if you spray them all over the shop to start with. Then it's the takeaway, the transition, the downswing snd follow-through not to mention tempo and rhythm. It takes years to do properly , a lifetime to hone and is never perfected.

As much as I think Bob Rotella is a bit of a charlatan his chapter on this in the book of the same name is a constant source of inspiration to me as a relative beginner in the handicap stakes.

FWIW- changing things mid-round has never done me any good whatsoever and it would be a shame if you let the mechanics stop you from taking in what will be a wonderful experience.

At least for me, I might only get to play such a track once in my life ever and would be gutted if I didn't stop and take it in properly while fighting with a shot that will be forgotten in a moment.

Would really like to hear how you get on.

bill