Open Comp Prizes

NearHull

Visit site
Played in a Seniors Open this week, 4BB . 38 pairs entered and paid £60 per pair. Total receipts £2280. Bacon bap and coffee included. Total prize money in voucher to spend in their Pro Shop £420. Good course.

Our own Seniors Open is £36 per pair with prize money around £800, again to spend in our Pro shop. Our receipts generally around £2160.(60ish pairs) . Good course .(forgot to add free halfway house but we do ask for a donation to the Captains Charity)

what are the Bacon Baps and Coffee worth?

The ’away ‘ Open doesn’t seem great value! or should I not moan?

Oh, and I drove 100 miles there and 100 back.

chellie

Tour Winner
Visit site
How much would the course normally cost as a visitor? That's all we go on when entering opens. How much the club make is of no importance to us.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
How much would the course normally cost as a visitor? That's all we go on when entering opens. How much the club make is of no importance to us.

That's all I would base it on. If I am making a good deal by entering the comp compared to the cost of a normal green fee then I'm happy. The prizes are not a factor and should the planets align and we got among them then it's simply a bonus for the day

NearHull

Visit site
The away course is £50 Mon-Fri £60 weekends ( peaks at £55/£60 for three weeks in Aug). My course is £45 Mon- Fri and £55 weekends. Both are good courses that host some good amateur level competitions.

i think what I’m getting at is that it just felt that the away Open was a money generator - a simple way to fill the course. I don’t feel that way about our Seniors Open, to me (whilst it needs to make a profit) it is way of promoting the club and enticing visitors in general.

D

Deleted member 25172

Like chellie and homer have already touched on, I also only look at what the cost is vs the cost of a regular green fee. I’m playing Royal Cinque Ports in their open week in August with a potential 2 rounds (cut after first round) for £80 instead of their regular £175 or so.
That is value enough for me. If I then would go on and play well and be in the prizes, just a bonus.

NearHull

Visit site
You knew what the cost was and still paid and played so therefore you must have thought it was good value?
I agree with you, it was a good course and worth the money, I suppose I’m really criticising the low prize money/vouchers - not that we won any. It must have been a bit ‘lip pursing‘ for the winners to walk away with £60 each. Yes , I do get that it’s their green fee returned and entry into next year , but I do think it doesn’t compare well to other Opens.

D

Deleted Member 1156

I agree that the 1st prize is very low, I would expect it to be considerably more than twice the entry fee. But as has been said, I don't enter opens based on what the prizes are, I look at it as a cheap way to play a decent course.

jmf1488

Club Champion
Visit site
Yeah take away the price of the green fees. The club is going to lose money blocking out an open comp and not taking a porition of the fee to cover the lost green fees. The dearer the green fee the bigger the clubs cut