Open Championship venues

shanker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
I've read that Trump thinks that his golf complex near Aberdeen could be an Open course. I doubt it, but I also wonder about the traditional venues. From what I've heard only Carnoustie and Muirfield really test the top modern golfers. The only Open venue I've played was Lytham and I was less than impressed. Even St. Andrews is reckoned by some to be easy.
What about these alternatives as Open venues. Kingsbarns, Royal Dornoch, Saunton, Hillside (Lancs.)
Let's hear your views even if you think mine are bollicks.

andycap

Head Pro
Visit site
I think the course is only a small part of it all nowadays. The logistics of fitting in all the corporate hopitality tents ( or villages as they are becoming ) sheer numbers of visitors , transport links,t.v demands etc etc play a large part . Some potentially great courses for the golf get ignored because they cannot cope with all the circus that goes with it

brendy

Global Moderator
Visit site
Keep an eye out for the north Antrim coast, Mr Trump had a chat with some of th councillors from the area including a certain mr Ian Paisley. Excellent coastal driving roads (for the enthusiast) and enough space for 30 golf courses never mind one supervenue.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think the logistics reason is a bit lame. If you can squeeze the Open into Royal St George's or Troon you should be able to get it into anywhere. I think the real reason the R&A don't expand their list of courses is that they have a group of courses they like (what's not to like) and if they add any more to the list the existing venues won't have the Open as regularly.

Personally, I don't think Kingsbarns should get it. Kb is an excellent course but it still feels like a modern links - no other links huggs the coastline quite as much. The Open should be a celebration of all the most traditional values in the game and Kb doesn't quite fit that brief.

Of the other prospective courses I'd say Saunton...

clubchamp07

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Bring it on Brendy
what a lovely setting the north coast would be for such a golf complex. The sooner the better.

Its near time that Northern Ireland held the Open Championship again, we have enough golfers on the tour now and maybe young Rory will be a big factor in us getting it once again. Wouldnt that be great, I can see it now Rory winning the open championship on home soil with Clarke 2nd, opps I'm dreaming again........

T

thecraw

Kingsbarns could easily hold an Open championship.

I would have to agree with the Irish lads on this one as well, having played Portrush on a few occasions and also County Down as well as some of the Irish courses like Ballybunion, Waterville, Portnoo, Ballyliffen I cant understand how the R+A can ignore Ireland for so long. The wonderful Irish crowds at the Ryder Cup also merrit another shot at a major.

I still love Machrihanish, too short and a poor 17th + 18th holes plus location rule it out of any Open but I'm surprised that more top amateur events dont head down to what I would describe as the most natural links course I have ever had the pleasure of playing.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd agree that RCD and Portrush are worth considering.

How would people feel about Kingsbarns going on the rota... It was designed by an American. Personally, I'd much rather see the Open go to a classic old links - somewhere like RCD or Portrush

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
It'd be great to see the Open back over here but Portrush is just too short by today's standards at 6,845 yards. RCD is better at 7,181 yards but could struggle to provide the accommodation etc that's needed for an event of this magnitude. However, I did hear a suggestion once that a couple of cruise liners could be anchored offshore for the duration of the championship, thus providing a few thousand extra beds at a stroke!

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
Logistics isn't a lame reason for hosting/not hosting an Open. If memory serves me correctly improvement in logistics was one of the main (if not the only) reason Hoylake was brought back into the fold.

Kingsbarns would be a good choice but logistics would be an issue for such large numbers of people. Plus I'm not sure the 18th hole would be the best finishing hole for an open.

chipin1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Kingsbarns is just up the road from St. Andrews so logistics wouldn't be an issue.

All I'm saying regarding logistics is that it's an excuse offered by the R&A that hides the real reason. I've been to RCD and I'm sure there's enough room there for the Open

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
I checked out the Kingsbarns web site, looks a great course, but who's ever going to play there at £160 and £50 for a PGA pro...seems a bit harsh...(I thought real PGA pros got courtesy???)
Surely all the great courses that make the Open rota have passed the tried and tested scrutiny of generations of golfers.
I'd like to play there, sure but...a day's wages!!! it's a weeks wages for anyone on the minimum wage.....and I try to say that golf isn't just for rich folk and the ****** corporate market :mad:

Sorry, but it makes me cross. Just watch this space....I'm sure to be proved wrong. :(

Dave

stevelockie

Head Pro
Visit site
I checked out the Kingsbarns web site, looks a great course, but who's ever going to play there at £160 and £50 for a PGA pro...seems a bit harsh...(I thought real PGA pros got courtesy???)
Surely all the great courses that make the Open rota have passed the tried and tested scrutiny of generations of golfers.
I'd like to play there, sure but...a day's wages!!! it's a weeks wages for anyone on the minimum wage.....and I try to say that golf isn't just for rich folk and the ****** corporate market :mad:

Sorry, but it makes me cross. Just watch this space....I'm sure to be proved wrong. :(

Dave

It is very expensive, as you said, obviously aimed at getting the tourist/corporate pound.
Scottish residents get on for somewhere in the region of £65. Which is nice!

RGuk

Tour Winner
Visit site
[/QUOTE]Scottish residents get on for somewhere in the region of £65. Which is nice!

[/QUOTE]

Hooray....finally some sense prevails....good for the indigenous golfers.

There should be more of this type of thing....there are so many courses I'd like to play, and would be prepared to shell out good money and also play at a convenient time for the course. Maybe we should start a campaign for ordinary club players where the top courses/clubs advertise a special rate for "1 tee time at £whatever for private players from a recognised club"

Dave

John_Findlay

Tour Winner
Visit site
Sorry to burst the Norn Irn lad's bubbles but RCD will never get the Open. They had to let spectators walk on the fairways for the Walker Cup because the course is so tight and much of it is a conservation area. Same with Nairn and Royal Dornoch.

They're worthy courses, all, but the logistics won't let 30,000 spectators on the course every day and there is no space for hospitality/parking etc. Kingsbarns handles the Dunhill Links ok but the crowds are much smaller.