one way?

viscount17

Money List Winner
Visit site
is there nothing in golf that is taught just one way? I had a chipping lesson on Saturday that has left me worse off.

My previous pro (and club fitter) both advocated gripping at the top and it had seemed to be starting to work. Saturday I took advantage of a group session (decent pro but cheap at group rate) where it was 'grip down at the bottom - I struggled to get the ball up and as for distance control forget it. Playing a club that short just seems to leave me tied in knots.

G_Mulligan

Tour Rookie
www.thegolfpsychologist.co.uk
is there nothing in golf that is taught just one way? I had a chipping lesson on Saturday that has left me worse off.

My previous pro (and club fitter) both advocated gripping at the top and it had seemed to be starting to work. Saturday I took advantage of a group session (decent pro but cheap at group rate) where it was 'grip down at the bottom - I struggled to get the ball up and as for distance control forget it. Playing a club that short just seems to leave me tied in knots.

If there was only one way to do it, it probably would not need teaching. I would speak to the pro about it or look for another one and ask him before taking any lessons.

Whereditgo

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I grip way down the club on all but full shots with the wedges, feels like I have more control. I would grip where you feel most in control and then apply the rest of the techniques the pro is teaching.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I grip about halfway down but with the state of my short game probably best not to read too much into it. I was workign at the range tonight with split hands for chipping and hitting it well. I hit 5 split and then 5 with a conventional grip and it seemed to help a little