One make or mixed bag of clubs

Brads

Visit site
Fantastic answers lol.
I asked because I’ve just been for a lesson with the driver which led into a fitting for a driver and a 5 wood.

I went in with the intention of only buying what worked and the pro had already said he would only recommend I buy what was proved to work best for me.
So after getting my Titleist irons this week, the best driver out the lot, by far, was the bloody TSi2 !!
Then he sold me a half price Titleist bag so that folk have something to point and laugh at ?

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I use what I like...
I like Callaway woods and hybrids because the shaft doesn't change when you tinker with the settings
I like Mizuno irons because......well..they're Mizuno...
I've always liked Callaway wedges, they seem to work and have bounce/grind configurations that make the ball do more or less what I want it to.
Putter-wise, I've had an Odyssey #7 shape for so long it would seem strange to not have one...and mine works pretty well at the moment.

These days I think it's very possible to have all your clubs from one manufacturer and still have then all work well.
I could be more than happy with a bag full of Mizuno, Callaway, Titleist etc etc.....they all have something I could use...

sunshine

Visit site
Ping do make clothes as well so you could go full Ping w****r. Callaway do but your putter would say Odyssey so maybe doesn't count.

I don't think Ping make shoes either.

Everyone jokes about Ping clubs only being suitable for old men. As for the clothing... they are cut generously around the midriff, they know their target market :ROFLMAO:

Fabia999

Visit site
I've always had a mismatch of what I like.

Titleist at the top end of the bag, Driver and Hybrid and at the bottom end, Vokey wedges.

Cleveland irons and TM Spider putter. I have a Callaway 3 wood but conditions need to be perfect for me to take that out.

the rest of my stuff is Motocaddy. Trolley, bag, umbrella etc. I think they're the best so I can't see my changing anytime soon.

MarkT

GM Forum Editor
Visit site
Ping woods
TaylorMade irons/wedges
Callaway SureOut 64
Yes! putter

The Chipper has now left the bag

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Not a single Mizuno product listed :ROFLMAO:
It was slightly tongue in cheek, although my love of all things Mizuno is definitely real. Perhaps one day in the future if I stop playing competition golf and concerning myself about a handicap I'll get another all Mizuno bag. Blades of course.

Steviefella

Visit site
Gone are the glory days when you could proudly promote a single brand of equipment and head to toe gear. I remember a mate of mine with the ubiquitous little swoosh on all his golf equipment and clothes.

These days I can only think of Mizuno which does everything. Titleist/Footjoy and Cobra/Puma are the same company, but in both cases you need to sport different brands. Am I missing anything?

I'd like to thank my sponsors for the W...

Slazenger? Don’t they tick all the boxes?

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Personally I think people that have one manufacturer are very closed minded and blind to reality. One of my playing partners likes to keep his bag mizuno only. He won't even try another driver. We did get him to demo the original sim and you could tell on the first tee he had already made his mind up. I just don't get it. Best club makes the cut imo

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Personally I think people that have one manufacturer are very closed minded and blind to reality. One of my playing partners likes to keep his bag mizuno only. He won't even try another driver. We did get him to demo the original sim and you could tell on the first tee he had already made his mind up. I just don't get it. Best club makes the cut imo

Don't agree with closed minded. I have a bag full of Pings (bar and Odyssey putter) and I have tried a lot of different makes and models at demo days, in store or at ranges, and in most cases none have ever given me any significant gains, certainly enough to warrant a huge outlay. Some drivers have been longer, but never felt as forgiving on mis-hits and at my level I'll take forgiveness over another few yards. The only irons I would have considered changing in the last few years were the Cobra one length which I liked and were longer and good on the off-centre hits but then I found it difficult on the higher lofted clubs to get use to the extra length especially around the greens so decided against them

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
Don't agree with closed minded. I have a bag full of Pings (bar and Odyssey putter) and I have tried a lot of different makes and models at demo days, in store or at ranges, and in most cases none have ever given me any significant gains, certainly enough to warrant a huge outlay. Some drivers have been longer, but never felt as forgiving on mis-hits and at my level I'll take forgiveness over another few yards. The only irons I would have considered changing in the last few years were the Cobra one length which I liked and were longer and good on the off-centre hits but then I found it difficult on the higher lofted clubs to get use to the extra length especially around the greens so decided against them
So is it purely coincidence that all the clubs in the bag that where the best ones for you also happen to be the same manufacturer?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
So is it purely coincidence that all the clubs in the bag that where the best ones for you also happen to be the same manufacturer?
In simple terms yes. As I said tried plenty of others but none give me anything significant to persuade me to part with that amount of money. I was originally fitted for Ping (G25 which I swapped for I25 as I didn't like the G25's looks in the short irons) Still have the 3 and 5 W and 3H from the original fitting in the bag and simply swapped I25 for I series (bought an ex-demo hardly hit set from Golfbidder for about £300 less than RRP). Still got the Gorge wedges from the fitting too and boy have I tried wedges given my short game history

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
In simple terms yes. As I said tried plenty of others but none give me anything significant to persuade me to part with that amount of money. I was originally fitted for Ping (G25 which I swapped for I25 as I didn't like the G25's looks in the short irons) Still have the 3 and 5 W and 3H from the original fitting in the bag and simply swapped I25 for I series (bought an ex-demo hardly hit set from Golfbidder for about £300 less than RRP). Still got the Gorge wedges from the fitting too and boy have I tried wedges given my short game history

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
If you separate out the sections of the bag and fit each one separately every manufacturer has an equal chance of being the best.
So it's quite possible that a bag can contain all one manufacturer......and, anyway, at our level does it really matter if brand A is 0.5% better than brand B and saves us a shot every 12 rounds..?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Quite frankly..... I don't care

oh-um-i-don%27t-care..gif

hovis

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you separate out the sections of the bag and fit each one separately every manufacturer has an equal chance of being the best.
So it's quite possible that a bag can contain all one manufacturer......and, anyway, at our level does it really matter if brand A is 0.5% better than brand B and saves us a shot every 12 rounds..?
No absolutely not. I've got no issues with people saying "I will only play ping". Just don't tell me they all happened to be the best for them too. Sure its a possibility that the same manufacturer happens to come out on top each time. Just not likely. Taylormade seems to be slowly taking over my bag (I'm not a fan either)