One make or mixed bag of clubs

Brads

Visit site
What’s folks thoughts ?
Do some get a full bag of one make because they like them or are a bit ocd ? Lol
Or do most mix and match to suit what they hit best ?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
What’s folks thoughts ?
Do some get a full bag of one make because they like them or are a bit ocd ? Lol

Previously ocd but now it’s what works, I generally group sections of my bag although you could argue there is still an element of ocd.

Driver & fairway - cobra speedzone.
Hybrids - callaway Apex 17 ( only purchased as the heads are identical to previous adams a16’s
Irons - cally apex cf16’s
Wedges - fg tour Wilson
Putter - scotty.

In the past I’ve had full TM branded bags.

D

Deleted member 15344

What’s folks thoughts ?

Always go with what suits you best

If that’s a bag of all the same make then do it but imo don’t go don’t discount other names as a lot of times the best makes of drivers are aren’t always the best make of irons for example

I have TM Woods - driver , 3 wood and hybrid
Mizuno irons
Titleist wedges
TM putter

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
It goes against common sense to have a full bag of the same make. What are the chances that say, Ping make the best driver for you, the best irons for you, the best putter & wedges? I love Ping drivers but I'm not a fan of their irons. I use Cleveland wedges but I wouldn't really go for one of their drivers. I really like my Evnroll putter but they don't even make other clubs! It's just about finding what works.

Having said that I like to match things to a smaller extent. As in, both my woods are the same club, both my hybrids are the same club, three of my wedges are all Cleveland. I don't think I could handle a bag like Bernhard Langer's, where his 7 iron doesn't even match his 8 iron. :LOL:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have a mixed bag only the irons 7-PW match.
I have a matching 6 iron but it has sat in the bedroom after a couple of uses but I have stuck with the same make and model of 6 iron I have used for about 8 years.

evemccc

Visit site
I have my favourite brands, and least favourite but there’s nothing really in that, only perception, and it doesn’t stop me from not buying a good deal 2nd hand or what the fitter suggests is a good fit

need_my_wedge

Has Now Found His Wedgie
Visit site
I used to be a little OCD and would mostly match the brand for woods and irons (and maybe bag & brolly), with perhaps the wedges and putter being the only exception. These days I'm fairly oblivious, it depends on what I like/ feel works best. Currently I have:

Cobra driver/ 3 wood and hybrid
Mizuno irons
Titleist gap / sand wedges
ICY Golf lob wedge
Odyssey Putter (sometimes swapped with Scotty)

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
My first 4 sets were all matched, not for any reason other than it tended to be what you did back then

Since about 2005 I've had a mixed set of what works best, but I'll be going into 2022 with an entire set of Pings of various description, maybe a TM 4 wood instead of a Ping 3 wood, and an Odyssey putter, but that's it. Not OCD, just that they're what's come out best. I actually prefer a mix and match, but you gotta go with what works.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
My first 4 sets were all matched, not for any reason other than it tended to be what you did back then

Since about 2005 I've had a mixed set of what works best, but I'll be going into 2022 with an entire set of Pings of various description, maybe a TM 4 wood instead of a Ping 3 wood, and an Odyssey putter, but that's it. Not OCD, just that they're what's come out best. I actually prefer a mix and match, but you gotta go with what works.
Yeah, when I was a lad playing with my mum and dad I had no concept of mixing and matching clubs - I just thought you buy a whole set of clubs and away you go. It was only when I got back into playing, and signed up to this forum, that I realised people generally don't do it that way.

evemccc

Visit site
What about matching shafts, albeit a heavier one for 3/5W > Driver?
Or matching swing weights? How important is this?

Also, is swing weight a technical measurement of clubhead, or of the whole club? How do OEMs state the swing-weight on the marketing, when they offer different shafts as stock (let alone customised aftermarket shafts) if it’s of the whole club?

srixon 1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Quite OCD so all has to be the same make. OCD extends to then having bag from same make and matching umbrella.
Have you been spying on me? ?
I used to have a mixture of clubs in a Titleist bag. Somehow I now have a full set of Titleist gear as they just seemed to work best when I bought new gear.
Before my bag became all Titleist it consisted of:
Ping driver
Callaway 3 wood
Orka rescue
KZG irons
Mizuno lob wedge
Odessey 2 ball putter.

Last edited:

timd77

Assistant Pro
Visit site
When I first got serious about golf a couple of years ago I thought the logical thing was to have the same of everything, so I swapped my driver, irons and bag and went 100% Taylormade (apart from odyssey putter). Then, as my game changed and I became addicted to tinkering, I’m now mix and match. This is after a lot of tinkering, including selling a wood/driver, replacing it, hating it, buying the same as I had before etc etc!

Srixon irons
Tm driver
Ping 3 wood (ordered)
Ping hybrid
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey putter
Can’t remember what cartbag, powakaddy I think
Tm carry bag
Titleist balls

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 1147

I'd pick whatever suits me best, no matter the brand.
I have Titleist Woods, Ping driving iron, Mizuno irons, Vokey wedges, TM putter, in a Ping trolley bag, Ping stand bag, or Titleist pencil bag

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
My bag is a mish-mash, acquired over the course of several years.

Mizuno driver
Cobra 5 wood
Cobra 19° hybrid
Orka 5i-pw
Ping 4i
Ping left handed 7i
Vokey 54°
Swilkin 60°
Odyssey putter