One for the Irish Lads

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Right lads, possible trip to Donegal next year now do we stay in Donegal Town itself and play Donegal,Rosses Point, Narin & Portnoo and Bundorran or stay in Letterkeny and play up there Rosapenna etc.

We do like a good drink and a carry on but it doesn't have to be rock n roll like Dublin, any thoughts would be appreciated lads, cheers

RobertB

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Letterykenny or other would be my choice (but Derry is only 20 mins on good road away also)

But from Letterkenny - 20-30 mins to Port Salon & North West (Lisfannon) & Rosapenna also about 50 mins would get you to Ballyliffin. Nairn isn't too far from Letterkenny either.

An hours drive would have you at Poststewart/Portrush for further options.

With all that, can't say I'd bother with Bundoran.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Letterykenny or other would be my choice (but Derry is only 20 mins on good road away also)

But from Letterkenny - 20-30 mins to Port Salon & North West (Lisfannon) & Rosapenna also about 50 mins would get you to Ballyliffin. Nairn isn't too far from Letterkenny either.

An hours drive would have you at Poststewart/Portrush for further options.

With all that, can't say I'd bother with Bundoran.

Cheers
Robert

Ive stayed in Dunfanghy with the family and been to Letterkenny for the day but never stayed there, we're looking at something different as we've been going to Coleraine and playing Portrush ,Portstewart etc for years now. Have played both at Ballyliffen numerous times as well.

Just looking for few new courses to play, is Donegal Town itself any good, Bundoran not worth the trip?

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Donegal would be a good place to stay plenty of bars etc. Busy with tourists at the minute though :mad: ;)

Crosses point would be a good drive though verging on an hour. Narin would be 40 minutes (ish) so a fair but of driving. Bundoran could only be described as average at best. For a long weekend type thing letterkenny would probably be better but still a fair bit of driving to be honest wherever you choose. You could also stay in downings play the two courses at rosapenna and Portsalon (20 mins drive ish). Then move to done legal town for a night and play Murvagh. Which by the way I reckon is the best course out of the lot of them ;)

JCW

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Donegal would be a good place to stay plenty of bars etc. Busy with tourists at the minute though :mad: ;)

Crosses point would be a good drive though verging on an hour. Narin would be 40 minutes (ish) so a fair but of driving. Bundoran could only be described as average at best. For a long weekend type thing letterkenny would probably be better but still a fair bit of driving to be honest wherever you choose. You could also stay in downings play the two courses at rosapenna and Portsalon (20 mins drive ish). Then move to done legal town for a night and play Murvagh. Which by the way I reckon is the best course out of the lot of them ;)

Stay at Port Noo , there is a hotel there where the bar does not shut and a nightclub down the road , rosapenna is overrated , played it and in no rush to go back , Port Salon is a nice track , the 2nd there is a great hole , par on there is a great score

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Stay at Port Noo , there is a hotel there where the bar does not shut and a nightclub down the road , rosapenna is overrated , played it and in no rush to go back , Port Salon is a nice track , the 2nd there is a great hole , par on there is a great score

Better staying in Ardara rather than Portnoo there is shag all in Portnoo. Rossapenna is good Portsalon is better IMO but Murvagh blows them both away.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
Lads are thinking more of Donegal Town ,someone mentioned Sligo, cheers for the input. The Donegal Pass is cracking value at 149 euro for 3 rounds.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be honest Steve you could probably get the three courses cheaper organising it yourself and calling the clubs seperatelt especially if there is a group.

Donegal Town is a good night and its only 20 minutes from my house so I speak with a bit of authority ;)

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
To be honest Steve you could probably get the three courses cheaper organising it yourself and calling the clubs seperatelt especially if there is a group.

Donegal Town is a good night and its only 20 minutes from my house so I speak with a bit of authority ;)

Cheers Chris ,not sure how manys going yet but the pass against the standard green fees advertised seems decent value.

chris661

Money List Winner
Visit site
Cheers Chris ,not sure how manys going yet but the pass against the standard green fees advertised seems decent value.

It probably is, but you would probably get a better deal dealing with the clubs direct. Nothing to lose to give them a quick call. When you thinking of heading over?

RobertB

Assistant Pro
Visit site

Indeed, for example, NorthWest have an 'open' on tuesday IIRC and for about €25 you get the 18 and lunch. Port Salon is only about €45, the Donegal voucher seems steep ....

If you stayed Donegal what about Lough Erne abut 45 mins from Donegal or max 90mins from Letterkenny?

matt611

Head Pro
Visit site
Indeed, for example, NorthWest have an 'open' on tuesday IIRC and for about €25 you get the 18 and lunch. Port Salon is only about €45, the Donegal voucher seems steep ....

If you stayed Donegal what about Lough Erne abut 45 mins from Donegal or max 90mins from Letterkenny?

I've always found that 'opens' are only for those who hold a GUI handicap, but the pro shop will generally do something on the price for you.

stevek1969

Money List Winner
Visit site
It probably is, but you would probably get a better deal dealing with the clubs direct. Nothing to lose to give them a quick call. When you thinking of heading over?

May or June time is when we normally go away, I've seen clubs have Opens at decent rates as well but is it only for GUI or can SGU members play in them