one club for all chips or various clubs?

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just recently had a short game lesson which was a bit of a revelation for me as I had always tried to use all clubs for chipping depending on the shot required.

The coach preferred the one club, different set ups depending on what shot required and I think i'm going to go with it; it makes sense to become really efficient with one club then just use the other wedges for half shot pitches and full shots. Due to time constraints I really don't have the time to learn different shots with all of my clubs(to get any degree of consistency anyway).

I seen bob on here is in favour of this approach but is it the minority? do you use the one club approach or several?

I'll be learning with the 58* for this; initially was going to go with 52* but coach talked me out of it saying it's limited when you need height and more spin

Norrin Radd

Tour Winner
Visit site
Im firmly in the one club camp,I use my wedge for everything chipping wise ,unless its a shot that requires going over a hazard ,bunker or whatever and im nearsided.then its a lob wedge. but in the main its the bog standard wedge as i know how far it will roll out.

russo

Club Champion
Visit site
yes, one club with varying length of swings to begin with.

if im just off the green, my go to club is my 7 iron for a chip and run and i love it.

if i need to carry some grass, ill use a 52 wedge like yourself.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Wish you well, that's a lorra lorra loft for a cat 4 player to master chip shots but I'm sure the pro wouldn't have suggested it if he didn't see the capability in you

I use 48 PW for chips, perhaps my 9I if a want some more run but that's about it

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
This is an interesting one.....all the instruction I read says to get the ball rolling as quickly as possible on the green, so if you can use an 8i/7i, then do so. However, pretty much 99% of the low golfers I play with chip with a 56 or higher degree wedge.

Incidentally, I use a 7i as I am pants with a wedge.

S

Snelly

One club for me for everything greenside. A 60 degree lob wedge.

I agree with your coach and so does John Daly who had a terrific short game. Get to know your chipping club, experiment with different shots and practice so you are confident with it. It is your friend.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I prefer to play different shots with different clubs.

3 different kinds of shots.

1. Low runners
2. Steep into the back of the ball to get some check spin with the conditions are right
3. Slip the club in under the ball using the bounce. Usually my 56 to throw it some way to the hole and land soft.

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I'm also a one club chipper - 56 degree. I do carry a 60 degree and use it sparingly if I have to play a short flop shot

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
I teach both methods but prefer to use a range of clubs from 7-sw depending on the lie, the length of the shot and how much room I have on the green.
Generally, the nearer I am to the flag the more loft I use.
But no matter which route you take, it's all about practice

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
If you limit yourself to using say a PW or 52 for all your chipping you are reducing the amount of spin (control) you can exert on the ball. You are also for the most part reducing the height of the trajectory you can play.

Using a higher lofted club allows you bring the flight down easier than trying to add height. It is easier to deloft a club quite a bit than to add the same amount of loft.

This is not to say, bin your PW and reach straight away for the 60. It takes quite a bit of skill, practice and time to get experienced enough to pull off all these shots with a high lofted wedge.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
I will use my 56 more times than not unless it's a bare lie and then dependent on the distance or if there is anything to get over, I'll use either my 52 or 60 as they have much lower bounce than my 56.

davemc1

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was getting pretty handy with my 51* from my last set. The 50* ive swapped it with is not going so well, so ive dropped down to pw. Now its coming hotter off the face. Really considering throwing the 51 back in, but as the only practise I get is out on the course, then I'll never improve with it. Ill keep it in for the winter, see how it goes.

I can manage to get to get chips to land soft, but id love to be able to give it a whack and get it to check.

Tiger

Money List Winner
rub-of-the-green.blogspot.com
Interesting thread. My choice of shot often depends on the lie but I play three chip shots with three different clubs.

- On the fringe (chip/putt) 7 iron
- standard chip PW
- short sided or need more loft 58

Jake O'Reilly

GM Staff
www.golf-monthly.co.uk
turkish you say due to time constraints you don't have the time to learn different shots with all your clubs, but surely it's much quicker to learn one swing (technique and length) and then switch clubs for different distances, than it is to learn how to hit one club further, shorter, higher and lower and hone in all those techniques and swing lengths?

Personally I switch between 7-PW for straight forward chips, then go to wedges for anything short sided. Only time my set-up would change would be when I need to throw one up in the air over something.

One Planer

Global Moderator
Visit site
This is an interesting one.....all the instruction I read says to get the ball rolling as quickly as possible on the green, so if you can use an 8i/7i, then do so. However, pretty much 99% of the low golfers I play with chip with a 56 or higher degree wedge.

Incidentally, I use a 7i as I am pants with a wedge.

This is me, with a slight proviso.

After a short game lesson with my pro, he gave me a different slant on club choice for this shot.

He advises you base the club selection on how much grass you have to clear before you get the green.

As an example, If you're just off the fringe, use a mid iron. The loft will clear the fringe and get the ball rolling quickly.

If you have quite a bit of grass to clear before getting to the green, use a wedge.

Practice to get your won distances dialled in.

There are certain circumstances where I will take different clubs. Like chipping on to a severe down or up slope.

I've found this works really well for me.