one club for all chips or various clubs?

HickoryShaft

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use different shots depending on the length but more importantly how far to get it the the green and get it running or if it needs to get over anything between me and the green.

Typically if there is no hazard in front and I am not far off the green it will be between my 8 iron for a chip and run or PW for a bit more loft if the grass is thicker etc.

dewsweeper

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I use the club that will get the ball on the green and running in most cases.
More loft, if any change of level or bunkers between me and the flag.
Of course ,I am also an advocate of a hybrid for chipping in some circumstances but whatever you choose practise is your friend.

Region3

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
PW for most, a different club if i want to land the ball somewhere specific and the PW wouldn't give the right amount of roll.

Stuey01

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I use a 52 degree wedge for most of my chipping. I feel like I should practise to get better with a wider variety of clubs but I never do, so when I am out on the course the 52 gives me the most confidence.
I have a 58 that I am comfortable using if short sided or if a Hollywood flop shot is needed, I'll use this for pitching inside 70yards also.

selwood90

Head Pro
Visit site
Pretty much always my sand wedge for me 54* but if iv got a nice open green or if I'm in the mouth of the green prefer a 8i run. But contact seems to be an issue with this shot

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I teach both methods but prefer to use a range of clubs from 7-sw depending on the lie, the length of the shot and how much room I have on the green.
Generally, the nearer I am to the flag the more loft I use.
But no matter which route you take, it's all about practice

That's interesting Bob

The nearer I'm to the flag I tend to take less loft usually 7/8 iron, this a part of my game I really need practice as it gets frustrating knowing if I could chip with more concistancy I now I could get my h/down by a couple of shots.

What tips could you give me to practice ie ball position- feet - hands.
Thanks.

pokerjoke

Money List Winner
Visit site
That's interesting Bob

The nearer I'm to the flag I tend to take less loft usually 7/8 iron, this a part of my game I really need practice as it gets frustrating knowing if I could chip with more concistancy I now I could get my h/down by a couple of shots.

What tips could you give me to practice ie ball position- feet - hands.
Thanks.

The closer you are to the flag in theory you should be taking more loft for less roll out.
Taking a 7 or 8 iron close to a flag needs a very delicate touch.

I will use a 58 to a 5 iron depending on the amount of green to work with and looking for the best landing point to allow for a nice roll out.
My theory is always land it on the green if you can as your not trusting on a good bounce if your trying to land it in the fringe.
As Bob and others mention practice is key if you have the time.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
A chip to me is a short shot from around the fringe that spends most of the time on the ground.
Ball position is centre of a narrow stance, maybe one ball back, weight and hands forward and feel as if you are hitting down on the ball, maybe even taking a small divot after the ball

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
The closer you are to the flag in theory you should be taking more loft for less roll out.
Taking a 7 or 8 iron close to a flag needs a very delicate touch.

I will use a 58 to a 5 iron depending on the amount of green to work with and looking for the best landing point to allow for a nice roll out.
My theory is always land it on the green if you can as your not trusting on a good bounce if your trying to land it in the fringe.
As Bob and others mention practice is key if you have the time.

Thanks for the tips.

Practice time is not really a problem for me as I'm semi-retired,I've never been one to practice much but as I have stagnated between 16/18 over the past 5 years or so I feel it's time I need to practice more.

I will go out and practice with a p/w for a hour or so a few times a week to see how I get on.

Fyldewhite

Tour Winner
www.blackpoolparkgc.co.uk
Chip with my 54 all the time. I used to chip with a 9 iron all the time. Promotes consistency in my book by taking out one variable. Understand the principle of getting the ball rolling asap but the trade off is many more hours practice. I'd also say my chipping is one of the stronger parts of my game.

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
A chip to me is a short shot from around the fringe that spends most of the time on the ground.
Ball position is centre of a narrow stance, maybe one ball back, weight and hands forward and feel as if you are hitting down on the ball, maybe even taking a small divot after the ball

Thanks for the tips
I think I tend to put the ball forward in my stance and don't follow through enough leaving me short most times, and I've always had problems hitting down on the ball for this type of shot .

So would you advise to use a 7//8 iron for this shot or like Pokerjoke says take more loft?

Or maybe trying out the two and see what works best.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Evahacool - seen a good video this morning showing how to chip and talking about a few faults. Main one being people who take the club too much behind them and come in too shallow and flicking at it.

Will post it later.

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
use my 60* wedge for probably 90% of shots around the green. Used to try and use other clubs but don't practice so was inconsistent with all of them! Sticking to one has improved my short game as I'm used to it.

Most used other club would be PW for more run, on occasion 52* for the same shot if I'm a little closer.

If the grass was short enough to consider using a mid iron I'd just use a putter.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Interesting thread and like most have said I was always using different clubs. I'm gonna go with it this season and see how I get on.

The 7 iron putt approach was always mine for bump n runs and the one I'll be most reluctant to drop as the approach she showed was basically turning the 58 into a 7 iron with it back in stance for a low runner(but with more check)