one club for all chips or various clubs?

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

[video=youtube;2Ez8_BN4KpQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ez8_BN4KpQ[/video]

Old school chipping. Tried and tested. getting a bit annoyed of constant tips only preaching using the bounce. They always say, the old way means you will stick the leading edge into the turf. Newsflash for you, hitting the ball before the ground is needed on all full shots. If you can't manage that with a short club like a wedge then you will have no hope with a longer iron.

Two of the most important parts for me is the info @7m00s don't take the club way behind you and too low.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
I'll use whatever club is necessary, although I've never really practiced with anything more than a 5 iron...
Probably favouring the 54° at the moment gives enough control and I can vary the height/length but happy to go from 5-58° as required

evahakool

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
[video=youtube;2Ez8_BN4KpQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Ez8_BN4KpQ[/video]

Old school chipping. Tried and tested. getting a bit annoyed of constant tips only preaching using the bounce. They always say, the old way means you will stick the leading edge into the turf. Newsflash for you, hitting the ball before the ground is needed on all full shots. If you can't manage that with a short club like a wedge then you will have no hope with a longer iron.

Two of the most important parts for me is the info @7m00s don't take the club way behind you and too low.

Thanks for that Gary, that was really helpful, I could see all the things I'm doing wrong, I think I defanatly need to stand more upright in the shot,I think it's more or less what Bob and Pokerjoke were advising.

Good to see a vid.of it, with practice in shouldn't be to hard a shot to get used to,it's a good time to practice so come the start of the season I hopefully might be a bit more consistent.

Thanks again.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Thanks for that Gary, that was really helpful, I could see all the things I'm doing wrong, I think I defanatly need to stand more upright in the shot,I think it's more or less what Bob and Pokerjoke were advising.

Good to see a vid.of it, with practice in shouldn't be to hard a shot to get used to,it's a good time to practice so come the start of the season I hopefully might be a bit more consistent.

Thanks again.

Good one from pelz too.

[video=youtube;S2ueDwu2cXk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S2ueDwu2cXk[/video]

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
With no hazards or severe breaks to negotiate I will normally use a 7 iron bump from 10 /15 yards in.
Even further out depending on the type of course/greens and the conditions.
My lob wedge can go anything from 2 to 150 yards :mad:

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Bought a 50 Cleveland wedge a few months back and assumed I would use that around the green, but found after practicing that I got much better results using the 7I to bump and run. The 50 now only gets used if I need more height and I've got a 58 Cleveland to use when shortsided.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
If faced with a "normal" chip (is there such a thing as a normal one?) my "go to" club is usually my PW. I can adjust this to how I want to play the shot, either opening it up slightly to get a bit more height if required, or "hooding" it a little to get a bit more distance, and run on the ball.
Only if I have to get the ball up particularly quickly, or have very little green to play with, will I go to my gap wedge, or SW. I try not to use the SW too much though. I don't like it for chip shots.

Crawfy

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I grew up using my PW for everything around the green and I've pretty much maintained that approach, apart from long runners where I use an 8-iron, or a flop over a bunker..
For my PW (44deg) I move the ball in my stance/length of swing to manipulate the flight.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Just got this in my inbox today which is exact method the pro advocates...

http://www.revolutiongolf.com/instr...and-pitch-trajectory-gain-more-control-around

The only one I'm gonna be most reluctant I think is 7 iron low runners as I do think I'm ok with that shot but I will practice it with 58.

As Bob said though it's all about the practice- especially for distance control in my chips but definitely think there is merit in the one club method with less variables

D

Deleted Member 1156

Different people like to chip in different ways but personally I think 58 is too much loft. There is a big margin for error, I would use less loft.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Well this was my thoughts and still concerns me to be honest but I'm gonna put my trust in the pro for time being. If it's not working after a lot of months and practice I'll maybe change tact

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I use a 20 degree hybrid for chip and runs, and PW or SW for other chips. Did have a lob wedge, but never used it as I can just open up the face on my SW. I also use the Texas Wedge a lot especially around my own course, which generally has nice tight firm fairways.