On-course signage

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
What's the on-course signage like where you play?

Ours is.......well, crap really - or more to the point, it's non-existent.
We were out early this morning with a Visitor 3 ball behind.
They struggled on the 1st and lost a bit of ground so when they finished the 2nd we had finished the 3rd and were playing the 4th - out of their sight.
After playing our second shots we see them on the 16th tee. It's too far to shout and they were setting off so there wasn't much we could do.
Apparently, they played the 16th, realised they'd got it wrong and played the 2nd again - which isn't far from the 16th. It didn't impact play as there was nobody behind them for half an hour or so.
Just a couple of signs would go a long way to alleviating this sort of thing. Mostly, it's obvious where you go next as you can only see the next tee box but we have a couple of areas with a 2 tees and it's easy to make a mistake.

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played the 18th from the 16th tee box last week at Uphall GC. There was no map on the course card so a few other holes were absolute guess work.

I really enjoy courses with clear signage much better.

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

They struggled on the 1st and lost a bit of ground so when they finished the 2nd we had finished the 3rd and were playing the 4th - out of their sight.
After playing our second shots we see them on the 16th tee. It's too far to shout and they were setting off so there wasn't much we could do.
Apparently, they played the 16th, realised they'd got it wrong and played the 2nd again - which isn't far from the 16th. It didn't impact play as there was nobody behind them for half an hour or so.
Just a couple of signs would go a long way to alleviating this sort of thing. Mostly, it's obvious where you go next as you can only see the next tee box but we have a couple of areas with a 2 tees and it's easy to make a mistake.

Yours is the only course I can remember actually teeing off on the wrong hole!!! Pretty much the only fairway I hit all day too haha

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Which one?
Bet it was the 15th and you thought it was the 5th - we nearly did that first time we played there.

yeah was going to say 4th or 5th, absolutely ripped one down the longish hole that goes back on yourself only to realise it wasnt the right hole :( hit it in the trees off their 2nd time round obviously

Dando

Q-School Graduate
Banned
Visit site

When I played the zoo with you, you couldve done with a sign on the tee pointing to green! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Ours is reasonably good plus the score cards have a map.

We often have instances of visitors playing the 4th and then walking on the adjoining 12th tee (the 5th being across a road) after failing to see the signs.

I have also seen on group who finished playing the 11th and then walked on to the 5th and started to play holes they had already played.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Ours are pretty poor if I'm honest and I don't think we're alone in that. I know a lot of courses where there may be walks between certain holes and its very easy to end up on a wrong hole. The easiest thing (but they all come at a cost) is to put the hole number on each tee box. It should then be apparent if a mistake has been made before teeing off. Surely its worth the investment to improve signage by clubs to improve visitor experiences and get repeat visits

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Unless it is obvious, we have a sign pointing you towards the next tee. And every tee has a map sign which shows you the hole number, length, SI, and general layout of tne hole.

If you end up on and/or play the wrong hole, it ain't our fault.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Ours is pretty good to be fair but thankfully it is fairly obvious so not critical. Bad signage is a pet hate of mine. Ridiculously easy to resolve but many don't.

I played Rockliffe Hall last year, a course with delusions of grandeur, had millions spent on it. We struggled, often went wrong and had to walk back to locate the correct tee. I was near to the club manager afterwards and mentioned it and he said he didn't think it was a problem. I pointed out our 4 ball, including 2 club pros, had repeatedly struggled and considering the money spent, people employed there the few quid to have some signs put up was small fry. I have no doubt there are still no signs up ☹

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
old fashioned style links course you can see the next tee from most of the greens or its obvious where the next one is.

lossie has a few confusing cross overs between the new and the old

Wolf

Visit site
Ours isn't to bad to be fair any hole that needs you you point you in the right direction is sign posted. That being said though there is still a couple of holes where you could go wrong if you don't pay attention to what you do.

One of my bug bears is playing a course and having no idea where you're going.

Hacker Khan

Yurt Dwelling, Yoghurt Knitter
Visit site
It is a big bug bear of mine where you visit courses and you get to a green and there's no obvious path to the next tee and no signs. And you then spend a couple of minutes trying to find it. I played a course in South Wales once, it was raining, the course was empty and I literally gave up finding the 17th tee as I tried for 5 minutes and it was nowhere to be found. So I walked off.

Whilst it may not be deliberate, to me it often smacks of not really caring about the visitors experience as how much does it cost to put up a sign.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have a bridge over the environmental area from the 6th green and both the 7th and 18th are either side of the path. Fortunately we have very good signage on the tee boxes but there are times when our very small markers in the ground are overgrown with grass or lying on the floor where some member has knocked them with their trolley and not bothered picking it up

D

Deleted member 23344

When I rule the world, it will be a legal requirement for courses to have, on every hole (a) a sign with a map of the hole and the distances from each colour tee (b) a ball washer and (c) a bin. How difficult can it be?