On-course signage

Capella

Journeyman Pro
blog.jutta-jordans.de
Ours is pretty good (also, the course is laid out in a way that it is difficult to take a wrong turn except for after our 16th hole where you have to walk along a public footpath and skip over a hole you already played to get to the next tee. The other course I play regularly is signposted pretty well as well (even though I find the course layout slightly more confusing, because they bought some additional land and added two holes, which made things a bit more complicated).

But I remember playing one of our neighboring courses for the first time which has next to no signage and we promptly ended up playing the 13th hole twice after taking a wrong turn. It was kind of funny, because my opponent and I both had never played the course before and we were like: "Oh, funny, that hole is almost the same as the other one with the water to the left ... " before we realized we had actually circled back. We then encountered a lady member who was stark raving mad because we had to cross over her fairway (even though we did not hinder her in any way) and when we told her what happened she was like: "How can anyone be that stupid? I never heard of that ... the course is totally simple and clear ..." I was really surprised. I think if a guest got lost at our course, I would a) go out of my way to make sure that they found their way okay and b) tell the office about it and suggest better signposting.

Oldham92

Hacker
Visit site
Our course can be a bit like that I suppose. The first tee goes away from the pro shop, then the second is to the left of the 1st green over a path/bridge of about 150 yards, but the 4th tee is directly behind the 1st green. Don't think there's a sign, the pro just tells people where it is before they go. Got to be times where he's forgot though surely

cookelad

Tour Winner
Visit site
Ours is mostly straight forward but there is still signage to guide you, and the tees are clearly marked - which still doesn't stop people coming straight out of the clubhouse and onto the 8th tee which runs parallel to the 1st.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
First time we played Aldenham, after the 9th green we turned right onto what we thought was the next tee and all teed off. Once we walked down to our balls I checked my GPS for my approach and worked out that we had accidentally teed off the 1st of the adjacent nine hole course they have. We should have turned left after the 9th green. There is normally a sign telling you that, but someone had knocked it over face down. :LOL:

I think the signage is decent enough at Haste Hill, nothing outlandish required though. Just an arrow saying next tee, and a clear marker on each tee saying what hole it is.

Fish

Banned
Visit site
Ours pretty much flows ok with very little distance between green to tee other than finishing on the 8th and going across the road to the 9th, but even then there’s no other place to go.

I played Moseley last week and didn’t have a clue where we were going, poor signs but so many crossovers nothing was obvious!

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
I played the 18th from the 16th tee box last week at Uphall GC. There was no map on the course card so a few other holes were absolute guess work.

I really enjoy courses with clear signage much better.

That would be one hell of a short hole, at most 50 yards!!!

CliveW

Tour Winner
Visit site
Spotted today on the 18th tee at Harburn Golf Club!

KRFIZgG.jpg

batchworth

Visit site
worst case I had was at Oak Park (Hampshire). I think we went from the 4th to the 15th, and then realised our error on the 16th tee. Apparantly on the 4th, we had to finish on the green and then walk part of the way back down the fairway and through a gap in the hedge to the 5th. A greenkeeper helped us out and did say 'oh it happens everytime with visitors' - but didn't sound like they were going to put any decent signs up to stop it happening.

D

Deleted member 1147

Ours isn’t good, I’ve seen people walk from the 1st green to the 15th tee.

To be honest, the way they hacked down the 1st hole I was glad😈🤣