On course monitoring system

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
The clear issue is that there is not enough 9 hole course or 9 hole comps to suit those who don’t have the time to play 18. In any case, all those whinging about it being 15mins slower are all doing so over a post round beer in the clubhouse so its not as if they’re off anywhere afterwards either.

This… it always is.

Here’s a really extreme idea, if the group in front is losing pace and holding you at the same time what about asking to play through. If we’re big enough to moan about it they just have a polite word “ guys, you’re losing pace on the group in front. Not sure if you’re in a match or anything but any chance of calling us through or picking it up a bit as people are backing up behind us”

Ok it’s not a techy way of doing it but it’s relatively simple and pretty functional.

Reactions: AAC

Golfnut1957

Visit site
If it is in place to predominantly impact visitors then there better be a fairly robust system for collecting the tags back in, plus once you have identified the slow visitor what next, educate them? Ban them from visiting?
It is not going to change behaviour at a members club unless those identified as miscreants are tackled on an individual basis. My own club tackles every issue with an email to the general membership, this once included a known cheating problem. Slow play is tackled in the same manner and of course they are just ignored by the slow players as it is never them and always someone else.

Also, I noticed the website claims that the system helps track and identify unauthorised players. Don't understand how it could do that if you don't have a tag

I agree, if an unauthorised player is on the course they won't be getting tracked so there will be no data. They could spend all day out there in theory.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I agree, if an unauthorised player is on the course they won't be getting tracked so there will be no data. They could spend all day out there in theory.

Only once they learn how to dodge the sensors that track tagged & untagged humans walking around the course

sunshine

Visit site
RFID is what is used on trains and buses I think? So players would have to tap in on each tee? Can’t see that happening ?.

Might as well spend the money on drones to fly over the course and patrol the fairways. They could provide live footage of traffic for the course ranger / pro shop. Could even fit the drones with a laser to zap the slow coaches.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
RFID is what is used on trains and buses I think? So players would have to tap in on each tee? Can’t see that happening ?.

Might as well spend the money on drones to fly over the course and patrol the fairways. They could provide live footage of traffic for the course ranger / pro shop. Could even fit the drones with a laser to zap the slow coaches.

Ooo this I like :sneaky:
Armed drones seems like just the dealy doodad that Marshals have been lacking in the ongoing fight against pace of play (y)
I also think that broadcasting 'intercepts' to the big screen in the clubhouse can only increase the takings at the bar as folks stay on to see the field come in :LOL:

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Only once they learn how to dodge the sensors that track tagged & untagged humans walking around the course
Sensors all over the course? Now that would be an expensive system, and we can't even afford to fill our bunkers with decent (any) sand.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Sensors all over the course? Now that would be an expensive system, and we can't even afford to fill our bunkers with decent (any) sand.

I only had a brief wander into the website but I got the impression that sensors were placed strategically rather than all over
But I'd agree, a course with tight budget for sand probably wont be dallying in this kind of venture anyway

Mandofred

Visit site
I can't see the electronic system working. Most clubs know the slow culprits (or the ones that won't let people through).....some effort just needs to go into zapping people. Some people still think it is normal to play a 3 hour round.....it isn't. Anything over 4 starts making me twitch though.....it's typical for me to be sub 4 and I usually start just before 11am.

We have a choice at my club....pay the £1200 for the year up front (which I do), or £700 and then £5 each time you play. Some people like that system....I'm not one of them. They evidentely have been cracking down on people who paid the £700 but haven't been paying the £5....if the rumors are true, at least 3 people have been banned for a couple of months and if it happens again they are kaput for good. I think there are more that they haven't caught. But.....it's just asking to be abused. Golfers are just like the rest of the world, some are trustworthy, some aren't.

New rules from 1 Aug. You must pass through the pro shop and let them know you are heading out for your tee time. You must let the pro shop know if you plan to submit a casual card (which I do a lot). The idea is to stop the people who aren't paying, and to keep an eye on what people are wearing, mentioning pace of play etc etc.

I just think they should keep the payments simple. 5 day, 7 day member and maybe weekend only.....pay up at the beginning of the year (or monthly). At my last club it was getting silly.....they had 5 day, 6 day, 7 day, 1 day and I think a few other types of membership.....I think they went back to the simple memberships for this year.

I'm getting really fed up with people not raking the sand......almost tempted to volunteer and stalk/lurk around in the trees and try to video people.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
I can't see the electronic system working. Most clubs know the slow culprits (or the ones that won't let people through).....some effort just needs to go into zapping people. Some people still think it is normal to play a 3 hour round.....it isn't. Anything over 4 starts making me twitch though.....it's typical for me to be sub 4 and I usually start just before 11am.

We have a choice at my club....pay the £1200 for the year up front (which I do), or £700 and then £5 each time you play. Some people like that system....I'm not one of them. They evidentely have been cracking down on people who paid the £700 but haven't been paying the £5....if the rumors are true, at least 3 people have been banned for a couple of months and if it happens again they are kaput for good. I think there are more that they haven't caught. But.....it's just asking to be abused. Golfers are just like the rest of the world, some are trustworthy, some aren't.

New rules from 1 Aug. You must pass through the pro shop and let them know you are heading out for your tee time. You must let the pro shop know if you plan to submit a casual card (which I do a lot). The idea is to stop the people who aren't paying, and to keep an eye on what people are wearing, mentioning pace of play etc etc.

I just think they should keep the payments simple. 5 day, 7 day member and maybe weekend only.....pay up at the beginning of the year (or monthly). At my last club it was getting silly.....they had 5 day, 6 day, 7 day, 1 day and I think a few other types of membership.....I think they went back to the simple memberships for this year.

I'm getting really fed up with people not raking the sand......almost tempted to volunteer and stalk/lurk around in the trees and try to video people.
Covered just about everything there;)

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site
This… it always is.

Here’s a really extreme idea, if the group in front is losing pace and holding you at the same time what about asking to play through. If we’re big enough to moan about it they just have a polite word “ guys, you’re losing pace on the group in front. Not sure if you’re in a match or anything but any chance of calling us through or picking it up a bit as people are backing up behind us”

Ok it’s not a techy way of doing it but it’s relatively simple and pretty functional.
I could sit down with you over many beers and relay 101 stories of how that goes wrong ???

People are far too touchy these days

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I could sit down with you over many beers and relay 101 stories of how that goes wrong ???

People are far too touchy these days

(Insert) em! They are complete aware of their pace of play and pretend they are not. The more frequently they are requested to move aside the more obvious it will become that they are the issue!

My double partner will openly tell others in the group that we are losing pace on the group in front and it’s bad form to not calm those behind through. It needs to be the normal and clubs need to grow and pair by addressing repeat offenders. If you are notoriously slow, are known for being slow and refuse to speed up, a restrict on peak time slots shot be imposed. It’s not all about speed golf but more about reasonable pace of play.

Rant over…. I’m off to meditate!

sunshine

Visit site
This… it always is.

The problem with this is that many men (yes it is always men, usually on the senior side) seem to think that letting another group through is a sign of weakness. Asking to play through is an insult to their manhood and provokes a hostile reaction.

When I’ve been held up by women it generally seems to be down to a lack of awareness.

There are of course exceptions to this.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
(Insert) em! They are complete aware of their pace of play and pretend they are not. The more frequently they are requested to move aside the more obvious it will become that they are the issue!

My double partner will openly tell others in the group that we are losing pace on the group in front and it’s bad form to not calm those behind through. It needs to be the normal and clubs need to grow and pair by addressing repeat offenders. If you are notoriously slow, are known for being slow and refuse to speed up, a restrict on peak time slots shot be imposed. It’s not all about speed golf but more about reasonable pace of play.

If I am in a group that is losing it's place and I can see the group behind waiting, and that we are losing our place is simple down to our general speed of play, I have no qualms letting my companions know that we have to speed up a bit. None whatsoever.

Jigger

Club Champion
Visit site

Oh I agree. For instance we were shaking our heads at the rangers on our course spending way over 3mins to look for someone’s ball rather than pushing them on.