Monitoring Players On The Course

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd say we have more issues with members turning up and just walking out to the first tee when its quiet without informing the pro-shop or someone in the bar. Big health and safety issue if no-one knows you are out on the course.
I'd never considered this a health and safety issue before. I must admit I do it all the time and I often go for a walk without telling people as well.

Wolf

Visit site
I'd never considered this a health and safety issue before. I must admit I do it all the time and I often go for a walk without telling people as well.
I'm with you on this, I'm failing to see the health and safety behind a member going straight out without telling someone their on the course as a H&S issue. I do it all the time and me telling the pro I'm out there doesn't make me any less likely to get hit or do something that may injure myself or am I missing the point of the H&S issue of it...

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm with you on this, I'm failing to see the health and safety behind a member going straight out without telling someone their on the course as a H&S issue. I do it all the time and me telling the pro I'm out there doesn't make me any less likely to get hit or do something that may injure myself or am I missing the point of the H&S issue of it...
Put the word "personal" in front of "H&S" and it's clearer.

If you head off anywhere where a) you might have an injury, and b) there is minimal likelihood of chance discovery, then there's a risk to be considered. Given the demographic of most golf clubs, I'd suggest the risk is heightened over some other places. But whether that risk is enough to warrant a "procedure", is a debatable point.

And if you have a procedure where you report to the pro-shop on going out, then it would be rather incumbent to be also reporting that you're back. Else it's pointless. I wonder how many do that (or would do)?

Hackers76

Visit site
We have a starters hut that doubles as a halfway house which is manned from 7:30 until 1pm on weekends only. This covers the first hole of our blue and silver 9’s and the 9th of silver. Start of the gold 9 is very close to the main car park and is usually used as a second 9 to silver so easy to see if someone try’s to cut in when busy. So weekends we are pretty well covered but weekdays if you wanted to you could easily sneak on.

We also have an 18 hole short golf which doubles for foot golf. This used to be patrolled by a marshall in summer evenings too but that has stopped. Entry to this is next to the driving range where the coaches are but I have never known them check anyone.