On course altercations.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
I’m a very quiet, conservative and patient man and like to avoid confrontation. (I’m 5ft 6” so usually end up on the floor) But this year I’ve lost my **** with peoples etiquette, usually to the detriment of my own etiquette twice this year.
Anybody else have experience of on course fisticuffs and golf bags at dawn?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I’m a very quiet, conservative and patient man and like to avoid confrontation. (I’m 5ft 6” so usually end up on the floor) But this year I’ve lost my **** with peoples etiquette, usually to the detriment of my own etiquette twice this year.
No never.

You can’t let someone’s ignorance affect you.
Think you will need to give details as to what upset you so much.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site

Nope. If it was that bad I'd either walk in and leave them to it, or carry on in my own little world and ignore them and their shenanigans and if issues persisted back at the 19th make sure everyone knew how poor their behaviour and etiquette was

HampshireHog

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Once walked back down the fairway to have a word with a player in the group behind who seemed to think it was acceptable to hit his ball into the green before our group had cleared it. Didn’t lose it but it’s only time I felt the need to pull someone up on etiquette.

Jamesbrown

Head Pro
Visit site
Once walked back down the fairway to have a word with a player in the group behind who seemed to think it was acceptable to hit his ball into the green before our group had cleared it. Didn’t lose it but it’s only time I felt the need to pull someone up on etiquette.

This happened to me and a friend today. Their tee shots and their second shots to the green. It was a slow day today with us waiting for a fourball infront most of the way round.
One of their balls happened to land on the fringe then in my hand then into an adjacent field. He wasn’t happy about it and I wasn’t happy with their conduct. Resulted in some expletives and face to face action.
After that it was an awkward wait for the green to clear on the next hole.

DCB

Visit site

Did something similar during a mixed foursomes open when someone in the group behind drove the ball into our group as we played our second shots. The idiot who drove caught one of the ladies in our group on the fly as she was preparing to play a shot. I walked back to the tee to be met with a variety of excuses for the incident. Suffice to say, the individual knew exactly what would happen if a ball came remotely close to us again. He sent his wife to find out how the injured lady was once we were all back in the clubhouse, he didn't even have the decency to come over and ask himself.

ademac

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Played a packed course a fews years back, waiting for green to clear and a ball came whistling by us from the tee of the hole we were playing, gave them the benefit of the doubt. The green finally cleared and we all peppered the flag, reached the green in good time and set up to putt out, another ball from the group behind was hit and rolled onto the green we were putting on.
By this point I was getting a bit miffed at the situation but thought better of it.
The next hole was a par 3, we got to the tee and the group in front were just reaching the green so we could go no quicker, the group behind who had been hitting balls up our backsides arrived on the tee before we could play. I politely asked if they could refrain from firing shots at us as we couldnt help the pace of play and the guy kind of agreed.
We then played our shots to the par 3 green and were setting up our putts when a ball from the group behind landed in the middle of us just missing us.
As much as I am not proud of what happened next I think the group behind got the idea!
Sometimes you cant just ignore it, sometimes you have to make a stand.

mikejohnchapman

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Maybe it's foresomes but we were playing a club match vs a local club and our opponents were not having a good day. On the 12th hole one of our opponents put his partner in a greenside bunker. Comments were exchanged, an argument ensured and this lead to a full scale wrestling match with the two of them rolling around on the fairway.

My partner and I stood there wondering what to do and when they eventually finished we continued the round. They didn't speak to each other for the rest of the round and when we won a couple of holes later they stomped off the course and were gone by the time we got in.

We didn't want to drop them in it so didn't say anything to their skipper but it was certainly a first for both of us.

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I have had a ball hit my bag over a blind hill (with a bell) from someone’s drive who knew we were in front

My mate said “chip it into the rough” I was a little cross so just completely launched it into a forest.. rang the bell and then we did have a good laugh when they spent 5 mins looking for their ball

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Playing In Florida, my female playing partner and I were paired up with a couple from Michigan. There was a couple in front of us who were very slow ( they looked like they may have been beginners) so we were held up over every shot even though they were a 2 ball and we were 4.
Coming to the turn we were putting on the 9th when a woman in the 3 ball behind us started yelling at us to get a move on. I said I would have a quiet word when they caught us up.
Waiting on the 10th the 3 ball behind came speeding up to us on their buggies. The two guys in their buggy seemed to hold back but the woman who must have been well into her 70’s leaped out of her buggy and started screaming at us and got right in the face of my playing partner. My PP quietly and calmly responded by pointing out that we couldn’t go anywhere as the two ball in front was holding us up. The woman screamed she was talking bull, so my PP just pointed to the couple ahead who were no more than 100 yards down the fairway, unable to play because of all the noise. This just made her even more mad and this old lady started squaring up to my PP! She was screaming at my PP (off 16) that she was a s@*t golfer who had no right to be in a golf course. It really looked like these 2 women were going to start punching each other, so I thought I had better intervene. Our other male partner beat me to it and told her in no uncertain terms where to go and to start behaving herself.
She slunk off back to her buggy but was still shouting at us as we were teeing off. My PP hit one 200 yards bullet straight down the fairway and the woman was screaming “see, I told you you were s@*t!

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Chesfield downs couple years ago now

3 ball.. we did the first half in 1 and a half hours

2nd half we met a group of gents who decided to take forever....

whole round then took 4 hours which would be fine if we hadnt taken 2 hours 30 mins on the back 9

we called the slow play number after 4 holes of not being invited through and then the marshall spoke to them.. didnt get let through and marshal said group behind we were the slow ones? how the hell they got that was beyond us..considering we had been held up for every shot since the 10th

ArnoldArmChewer

Tour Winner
Visit site
This happened to me and a friend today. Their tee shots and their second shots to the green. It was a slow day today with us waiting for a fourball infront most of the way round.
One of their balls happened to land on the fringe then in my hand then into an adjacent field. He wasn’t happy about it and I wasn’t happy with their conduct. Resulted in some expletives and face to face action.
After that it was an awkward wait for the green to clear on the next hole.

I had exactly the same a year or two back when I was playing a singles match at an away course, its unfortunate but sometimes things need to be said !!

inc0gnito

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Played a packed course a fews years back, waiting for green to clear and a ball came whistling by us from the tee of the hole we were playing, gave them the benefit of the doubt. The green finally cleared and we all peppered the flag, reached the green in good time and set up to putt out, another ball from the group behind was hit and rolled onto the green we were putting on.
By this point I was getting a bit miffed at the situation but thought better of it.
The next hole was a par 3, we got to the tee and the group in front were just reaching the green so we could go no quicker, the group behind who had been hitting balls up our backsides arrived on the tee before we could play. I politely asked if they could refrain from firing shots at us as we couldnt help the pace of play and the guy kind of agreed.
We then played our shots to the par 3 green and were setting up our putts when a ball from the group behind landed in the middle of us just missing us.
As much as I am not proud of what happened next I think the group behind got the idea!
Sometimes you cant just ignore it, sometimes you have to make a stand.

And that was?

ChrisB0210

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Had a slanging match a couple of years back at my then home Club with someone who was (and still is) a mate of mine! It was an open comp and unfortunately for my mate, his loudmouth son had told both me and one of my pp's that they were going to have a go at us over slow play, even though we weren’t slow and were keeping up with the group ahead.

They did this after all 3 of our group had had to wait for the group in front to clear a green before we could play in. It was unjustified and we responded with a few Anglo Saxon words stating our disagreement to what had been said.

Interestingly, the pp that had been given the same msg as me left the club shortly after and all was forgotten...

D

Deleted member 15344

I have had a ball hit my bag over a blind hill (with a bell) from someone’s drive who knew we were in front

My mate said “chip it into the rough” I was a little cross so just completely launched it into a forest.. rang the bell and then we did have a good laugh when they spent 5 mins looking for their ball

That’s really shocking behaviour - hitting someone’s ball away like that is both immature and pathetic. Did you even speak to the bloke and ask why he teed off ? Nothing funny about hitting a blokes ball away

sam85

Head Pro
Visit site
That’s really shocking behaviour - hitting someone’s ball away like that is both immature and pathetic. Did you even speak to the bloke and ask why he teed off ? Nothing funny about hitting a blokes ball away

Some guy posts that he has had the ball drove into him and you decide to only pick up on the fact he whacked the ball away. Immature and pathetic? Talk about an overreaction 😂😂

Tiger man

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site

Nothing funny about getting cracked on the head by a little white rock either. No excuse for running it up behind people, if someone is that impatient golf is probably not for them.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site

Fantastic bit of fishing! :whistle:
Well played sir!:clap: