Old equipment versus new.

two-clubs

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I have recently started playing again after a lay off of quite a few years so my irons and woods are 10+ years old.

Would I be likely to see much difference if I upgraded to current clubs? My current clubs are listed below which I get on ok with but I keep wondering if I'm losing out by not playing with current tech.

Has anybody else been in this situation and found improved performance when ditching the old and buying the latest stuff?

Rooter

Money List Winner
Visit site
This question will divide opinion I reckon. Some will say, play more, get some lessons with your current set up. Then once you are "better" get fitted for new maybe.. Others may say upgrade now!

I saw on twitter the other day a guy who was using a square Nike driver (I forget the model, but was abut 5 yr old) gained 41 yards by switching to a brand new driver...

I suppose the key question is, are your current clubs not giving you something you need? Or are you just tempted by new shiny stuff?

lyden

Head Pro
Visit site
I saw on twitter the other day a guy who was using a square Nike driver (I forget the model, but was abut 5 yr old) gained 41 yards by switching to a brand new driver...

The Nike sq machspeed was short at the time but the design apparently made it more forgiving and straighter.

I don't think new gear will make you a better player but it may give you a bit more confidence and possibly a tad more distance.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
MX20s are still great clubs, so no need to change then - unless the shafts no longer suit.

Plenty of love for BB 3 woods

R540 was a really good Driver too. Only issue might be that it could be non-conforming. If the face has 2 sets lines, 1 around the outside and another around the centre then it's conforming. If no lines in centre, then it's non-conforming - in which case, not usable in competition. Driver technology has moved on quite a bit too. There are more forgiving heads around. G15s can be picked up quite cheaply (though some go for quite a bit more). I've also seen a couple of Cleveland drivers advertised on here. As a user, I can recommend the SL290 and they are great value - Fish may still have one available.

One thing that you might also consider is a hybrid - to replace 3/4 iron. Hybrids have become really popular and for good reason. Great for long iron replacements, off tee and enen from quite long rough - some designs better than others from rough. Lots of variety, so check a few out and pick the one that feels right

Last edited:

two-clubs

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

I quite like the irons, when I flush it out of the middle they're beautiful, can't even feel the ball off the face. The driver is quite well house trained too - it's just that everything I read about lately is longer, straighter, more forgiving and and ........

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
I don't see any need to change any of that equipment. Maybe add to them with a hybrid and a wedge, but even that's not urgent. Just enjoy what you're doing and you can upgrade piece by piece at some point in the future. Unless you have cash to spare, in which case, knock yourself out and enjoy the spree...

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
I currently have to take an extra club over people with modern irons. I have a set of MP-57s, not very old but well used, I take a 6 when people with more recent irons take a 7. I can though out hit them with my modern driver vs their modern driver.

3 wood I have noticed less difference however and I can hit long irons better.

If you are really struggling to get the ball up, even after lessons, then a new set will work. Lessons first, then new clubs to take advantage of the improvements.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
If you are coming back to the game I'd look at making sure the grips were ok and then investing in a few lessons. Once you get going again, decide if you can afford to upgrade and then shop around