Old Course hotel St Andrews

grumpyjock

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Was in St andrews last week for our wedding aniversary, and spent 2days at the hotel.
The Old Course was magnificent even with the rain and the wind.
Cant say the same for the hotel its starting to show its age and could do with some TLC, dont get me wrong the service and facilities were first rate especialy the new rooftop hottub and the new terrace overlooking the 17th tee (if a bit expencive at £9 for at G&T).
Sitting watching the games being played and some of the golf shots attempted was intersting to say the least, do people realy think that they can match the shots of the leaders of golf.
I watched one lad attempt a shot of 180yds with a PW and wondered as it landed 50yds short.
I know my game is not the best but I do know how hard to hit a golf ball.
Back to the hotel and the food, with a full Scottish fry up with Porridge to start and fried Haggis, White pudding and sweet pudding you need to walk the 4 miles of the course to gain a space for lunch.
The Links club house overlookig the 1st tee of the New Course served the best lunch, Soup of the dat followed by a club sandwich and chips sets you up for the afternoon game over the links.
All in a mark of 9 out of 10 for the hotel you only lost 1 for the tempting bowl of chocolates at the front reception.
What to be said about the courses, well it was an experience not to be missed and while I may have played more demanding course it will stay with me for the rest of my little life.
But just think when you are held up on your course that at the Old Course a 4ball goes out every 10 mins from 6am to dusk, yes there were even players going out as the light was gloming and playing up to the burn on the 18th when it needed flash to take their photographs.