Oh No!!! Help Needed!!

Scott1505

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Went to the range last night after a lesson last week and am in the process of making some big changes to my setup. Got 100 balls and hit the first 80 or so better than i have ever hit the golf ball including chip and pitch shots. For the last 20 or so i decide to finish off chipping into a net. Then it happened!! Shank after shank. Decided to get another 20 balls to try and work this out my system but i couldn't. Now with a medal tomorrow (fingers crossed) i will not be able to sleep tonight with fear of shanking it all over the place. Is there any simple tips to help with this?

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
Hi Scott,I feel your pain.
As the medal is tomorrow and you have no time for a lesson beforehand I would suggest you get back down to the range and do this.
After you have addressed the ball step back an inch or so so you are addressing the ball slightley towards the toe of the club.
Then, when you make the stroke, try and keep your leg action down to a bare minimum.
Think of the shot as just arms and shoulders only keeping your lower half quiet.
HTH :)

Scott1505

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Thanks for the reply. WIll try and get to the range tonight for a few balls to put my mind at rest. I jjust don't know where it came from as was hitting the ball so well.

drawboy

Tour Winner
Visit site
You could also try putting a headcover to the right of your right foot in a straight line back. Then make sure you put the clubhead over it on the backswing thus making sure you do not get inside the line too much. Worked wonders for me.

T

thecraw

Who did you go to for lessons?

I played yesterday Scott, the course was OK, a bit wet underfoot but otherwise not too bad at all. Today I believe they had 18 winter greens on due to this mornings frost. TBH a day of no traffic is what the big greens need, especially 4,5 12 and 13 which are saturated.

Good luck in the morn, I'll be in bed, I'm nightshift this weekend.

Scott1505

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bobmac thanks for the advice. Medal was cancelled but went for a hit round the winter greens thankfully no sign of the shanks moved the ball further towards the toe and tried to keep bottom half of body quieter and felt the contact was much cleaner as well so happy days.

Craw have a friend who gives me some lessons just at the range at world of golf. Although last week when we were there the pro came and gave us some hassle as he claimed we were taken business away from them. :D

Course was very wet with large puddles on some of the greens must have been a fair bit of rain friday night! Will try again next week.

n8dog

Club Champion
Visit site
to be honest i get this quite a lot, u finally think you have worked it out then 'it happens', you start to shank. However i have realized that i am hitting too many balls at the range (100 balls is a lot more than in a normal round)so i think my muscles just get tired, maybe the same for you?

play off 11.7

Callaway FTI 9.5 x-stiff Grafalloy Prolaunch Red
titleist 906f4 18.5 stiff aldila vs proto 85s
ping s59 tours 3-pw s400
Ping Tour W 50* s400
cleveland cg10 54* s400
scotty cameron studio design 1.5

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Funnily enough I tend to get mine at the start of a range session when everything seems out of synch. Once I get loose the problem tends to go away. However recently they stayed with me until I got a lesson and found out my balance was off and I was swaying instead of turning. Since November 20th I have been in full shank remission

n8dog

Club Champion
Visit site
Im getting worried, we may be using the word 'shank' too often, i think we had better stop before we put the curse on ourselves. Think positive thoughts and imagine the ball flying towards the pin :D

play off 11.7

Callaway FTI 9.5 x-stiff Grafalloy Prolaunch Red
titleist 906f4 18.5 stiff aldila vs proto 85s
ping s59 tours 3-pw s400
Ping Tour W 50* s400
cleveland cg10 54* s400
scotty cameron studio design 1.5