Offset clubs (help with aim)

Wooky

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi all.
I am a little confused.
I have always struggled to hit my hybrids, the face is quite offset at address.
If I try to square the face at address, my grip becomes overly strong & the resulting shot is usually a low hook.

But, if I set up with a nice neutral grip at address & with the face of the club closed (slightly pointing left) by the time I have shifted my weight during the swing & arrived at the impact position, I seem to naturally square the face up, resulting in a nice high straight shot.
Is this correct?
Does anyone else have the same issue?
Thanks.

Spuddy

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Hi all.
I am a little confused.
I have always struggled to hit my hybrids, the face is quite offset at address.
If I try to square the face at address, my grip becomes overly strong & the resulting shot is usually a low hook.

But, if I set up with a nice neutral grip at address & with the face of the club closed (slightly pointing left) by the time I have shifted my weight during the swing & arrived at the impact position, I seem to naturally square the face up, resulting in a nice high straight shot.
Is this correct?
Does anyone else have the same issue?
Thanks.

Anyone who swings a regular club back square will need to start an offset one slightly closed as one of the purposes of the offset is to help people who would normally have an open club face at impact to keep it square... I think!

Thexindi

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Anyone who swings a regular club back square will need to start an offset one slightly closed as one of the purposes of the offset is to help people who would normally have an open club face at impact to keep it square... I think!

Yes something like that I think too

the_coach

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
any iron either offset or not folks should be looking to aim the leading edge (bottom line of the clubhead) & the grooves at 90º to the direction they want the ball to start on, the ball/target line, then themselves (shoulders etc) parallel left of that target line
{as a generalization the shoulder line will have little ways more of an influence on the path of the swing, shoulders more of an influence than the foot line, while how the hands are placed, their orientation, on the handle will have more of an influence on the face angle of the club}

offset irons, face & leading edge set back from the shaft were developed to provide a little ways help for folks to deliver the hands first with a forwards leaning shaft so have a slight downwards AoA, ball first true after at strike.
as the offset with shaft set back allows the hands at address to be little ways ahead of the ball so give folks a little help to hopefully at impact return hands ahead a ways easier

the other thing that should translate to help 'slicers' some is with an offset iron this also places the center of gravity further away from the shaft so it's a ways easier to get the ball 'up' in the air, plus the face being that little ways back of the shaft gives folks a split second more time in a swing motion to square up the face

if the face has to be aimed left at set-up, closed, to have a straighter flight that's really due to the nature of the swing motion issue, with that face angle at address being really a compensation to whatever those issues in the swing are

if you aim any face angle left this also lowers the static loft of the club at address

balls flight at impact, it's starting direction is most influenced by where the face is looking at strike the lower the club face loft the higher percentage of the starting direction is down to face angle

lower loft of a driver where the face angle is 'looking' at strike is around 80-85% responsible for what line the ball starts of,f on with a say a 7i's face angle being approx 70+% responsible for ball starting direction

delc

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
any iron either offset or not folks should be looking to aim the leading edge (bottom line of the clubhead) & the grooves at 90º to the direction they want the ball to start on, the ball/target line, then themselves (shoulders etc) parallel left of that target line
{as a generalization the shoulder line will have little ways more of an influence on the path of the swing, shoulders more of an influence than the foot line, while how the hands are placed, their orientation, on the handle will have more of an influence on the face angle of the club}

offset irons, face & leading edge set back from the shaft were developed to provide a little ways help for folks to deliver the hands first with a forwards leaning shaft so have a slight downwards AoA, ball first true after at strike.
as the offset with shaft set back allows the hands at address to be little ways ahead of the ball so give folks a little help to hopefully at impact return hands ahead a ways easier

the other thing that should translate to help 'slicers' some is with an offset iron this also places the center of gravity further away from the shaft so it's a ways easier to get the ball 'up' in the air, plus the face being that little ways back of the shaft gives folks a split second more time in a swing motion to square up the face

if the face has to be aimed left at set-up, closed, to have a straighter flight that's really due to the nature of the swing motion issue, with that face angle at address being really a compensation to whatever those issues in the swing are

if you aim any face angle left this also lowers the static loft of the club at address

balls flight at impact, it's starting direction is most influenced by where the face is looking at strike the lower the club face loft the higher percentage of the starting direction is down to face angle

lower loft of a driver where the face angle is 'looking' at strike is around 80-85% responsible for what line the ball starts of,f on with a say a 7i's face angle being approx 70+% responsible for ball starting direction
I personally hate offset clubs, because I find them difficult to aim and they tend to turn my natural slight draw into a hook. Fine if you're a slicer I suppose!

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Sound like alignment and swing plane.

Throw down some alignment sticks and repeat to get a constant plane.

I know the difference for me is my swing plane, I start the ball slightly right so need to come in neutral or just from the inside to not miss right.