Odyssey Backstryke

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Just been trying out the Odyssey Backstryke Dart putter on my putting mat at home. Weirdly with the natural forward press and shaft at back of putter, I seemed to be striking the ball with much more consistency. Anyone tried a Backstryke model out on the course back in the day and was it with success if so? Def going to try out myself on Friday when I next play as I love the feel indoors. Obviously didn't take off as Odyssey don't make them anymore, I am guessing that is to do with style as much anything else. If it goes well on Friday, tempted to throw it in the bag. Interested to hear thoughts

D

Deleted member 3432

Just been trying out the Odyssey Backstryke Dart putter on my putting mat at home. Weirdly with the natural forward press and shaft at back of putter, I seemed to be striking the ball with much more consistency. Anyone tried a Backstryke model out on the course back in the day and was it with success if so? Def going to try out myself on Friday when I next play as I love the feel indoors. Obviously didn't take off as Odyssey don't make them anymore, I am guessing that is to do with style as much anything else. If it goes well on Friday, tempted to throw it in the bag. Interested to hear thoughts

Ignore what anyone says about them. Putters are very personal, try it and if it works for you then put it in the bag.

My old pro had one which I tried and it was fine, rolled the ball nicely.

Not a good looking putter but plenty of popular putters are fugly so who cares as long as it works.

stevench

Club Champion
Visit site
I played the Marxman for a season or so. I can't say it performed any better or worse for me than a regular style mallet but I couldn't quite get past the looks.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Whenever I picked one up and had a play I found it a very stable putter.
If you create a lot of movement in the backswing this type of putter can help eliminate it.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
I had a backstryke sabertooth and likewise I thought it was fantastic.

Think I 3 putted twice in a round and it had to go though! 😂

Saving Par is spot on, it's a personal thing so stick with what works.

dankiz

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Been missing a lot from 10 foot and in recently although I have had the best summer overall ever, H/C down from 19 to 12. Interested to see if I can be more consistent in the scoring end. Will see how Fri goes

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
Yep played one for a while and still have it - wouldn't sell for sure! I tend to have my hands too far back at address and this stopped that. Putted pretty well with it (relatively) but then was fitted for an Odyssey Stroke Lab R Ball which I'm sticking with (currently).

Blue in Munich

Crocked Professional Yeti Impersonator
Visit site
Got a Tour Edge Hovercraft with a very similar shaft configuration. Works really well and would probably be in the bag full time if it wasn’t for the sole configuration and my habit of leaning on the putter on the green, not a good combination with that putter.

garyinderry

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Never really understood the fascination within the golf industry for offset putters.

Onset seems a much better idea. Mate had a backstrike putter and thought it worked well.

Tend to be drawn to center shafted putters these days with straight shafts. Suits my eye much better.

Blue in Munich

Visit site
Never really understood the fascination within the golf industry for offset putters.

Onset seems a much better idea. Mate had a backstrike putter and thought it worked well.

Tend to be drawn to center shafted putters these days with straight shafts. Suits my eye much better.

Right handed & left eye dominant?

Blue in Munich

Visit site
How do you know whether you are right eye or left eye dominant ?

Make a circle with your thumb & forefinger. Hold it at arm's length. Look through the circle at something on the other side of the room like a light switch or an ornament using both eyes. Shut each eye in turn without moving your arm. When you shut one of your eyes the object will remain in view, when you shut the other it will disappear from the circle. The eye that still sees the object through the circle when the other is closed is your dominant eye. (y)

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
That we are. Over the years I worked out that I seemed to put better with a centre shaft putter without realising why. Then I found out about eye dominance and lo and behold I’m left eye dominant 😁

What makes the centre shafted putter better for someone who is right handed & left eye dominant?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
That we are. Over the years I worked out that I seemed to put better with a centre shaft putter without realising why. Then I found out about eye dominance and lo and behold I’m left eye dominant 😁

Switched to a CS putter about 17 years ago. Went from a below average putter to being Harry Potter with his wand. Wouldn't dream of going away from a CS putter.