oblivious self-entitlement

G

guest100718

i quite like the idea of captains getting free rounds. its a nice touch.

if he was spoken to rudely over the phone that is also a poor show.

no excuse for the captains toys out of the pram tirade.

yh I thought golf was all about the tradition, seems like some want to pick and choose what that means.

maxpeck

Hacker
Visit site
For me, that attitude typifies everything that is wrong with golf. So someone is a club captain, fail to see how that is special and deserves anything different.

Someone is taking golf, and probably most things a bit too seriously.

Jacko_G

Blackballed
Visit site
For me, that attitude typifies everything that is wrong with golf. So someone is a club captain, fail to see how that is special and deserves anything different.

Someone is taking golf, and probably most things a bit too seriously.

Agree, attitudes at a lot of "traditional members clubs" leaves a lot to be desired. The gentleman in question has been told "no" instead of accepting that he's acted like a child and taken to the internet to vent. Absolutely pathetic. I hope his club are embarrassed by his actions, actually I'd be looking to strip him of his much coveted title.

shortgame

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Wonder if he became captain out of self interest (all those free rounds on top courses, parking space, free meals etc) or for the benefit of the club and its members... hmmm

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
:whistle:

Sham Castle isn't even the best course in Bath!!!!

I was going to say there's no way Sham Castle is the 2nd best course in the South West! I could come up with a list as long as my arm of better courses, but the immediately obvious question is which of Saunton and Burnham and Berrow is Bath better than?!

EDIT: A quick bit of google stalking quickly reveals his identity, and he is indeed the club captain of Bath Golf Club. I suppose if we're just discussing the hypothetical question of entitlement, that's not really relevant! A quick read about him reveals he's done some really good things for some really good causes, not a bad person, I'm sure, but a bit of a misjudgement!

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 17920

I see on tripadvisor the post is no longer on it.

Wonder if Mr Captain has had a talking to :D

Doon frae Troon

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
At my old course local Captains/Greenkeepers/Pros got a free pass, everyone else paid.
I cant tell you the amount of rows I had with other attempted freeloaders.

The best example was the captain of a distant 9 hole course with 120 members who was bedside himself when my staff said he had to pay.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
One of our previous Captain's upset a lot of the past Captains when he saw this as opportunity to play as many courses as he could fit in whilst he was in office. He became a bit infamous throughout the region apparently.

Robster59

Tour Rookie
www.eastrengolfclub.co.uk
I've never asked for a free round when I go somewhere. I was given a free round at one club when I asked if there was any concessions (not a freebie) for a visiting Captain but I wouldn't have been offended if they had said no.

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm another who thinks that the tradition of captains getting courtesy of other courses is quite a nice thing. But it should be used sparingly - not least because captains should be spending a lot of their period of office representing the club at matches & events and so on. Anyone going round bagging courses is a bit of an a*se and deserves to be told so.

And if a club feels it can't participate in offering courtesy, then that is for them to decide and fair enough.

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I see on tripadvisor the post is no longer on it.

Wonder if Mr Captain has had a talking to :D

Possibly, although worplesdon could ask for it to be deleted as he isn't entitled to submit a review if he didn't actually play there!

Funnily enough, he'd posted a review of bath golf club on there in 2016, but it must have slipped his mind that he was a member / captain elect. Oops.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
I'm another who thinks that the tradition of captains getting courtesy of other courses is quite a nice thing. But it should be used sparingly - not least because captains should be spending a lot of their period of office representing the club at matches & events and so on. Anyone going round bagging courses is a bit of an a*se and deserves to be told so.

And if a club feels it can't participate in offering courtesy, then that is for them to decide and fair enough.

Spot on all round.

I used my letter of introduction precisely 0 times in 2015; last thing I wanted was to play more golf! On the other hand I believe it's a good tradition, but for that reason it shouldn't be abused.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
I think its a nice touch to have Captains courtesy, Most do a great job and deserve a bit of a reward for in most cases years of service to the club. But the good ones rarely use it. When a guy i play with a lot was our Club Captain, i asked him if he had any chance to use his courtesy over his 2 years? No never had time was his reply

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site

Spot on all round.

I used my letter of introduction precisely 0 times in 2015; last thing I wanted was to play more golf! On the other hand I believe it's a good tradition, but for that reason it shouldn't be abused.

I used mine once. I wrote to the club and asked if their captain would like a game, capt and vice 'v' capt and vice. Had a fantastic day and have played several times since on different away days to different courses, long past our Captains year.

Sweep

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I like the tradition of courtesy rounds for visiting Captains. However, when I was Captain I never had the time to play away from my own club.

D

Deleted member 16999

I think it’s a nice tradition that should be maintained were possible, going by guys I’ve known, and the responses on here, it should be granted for the 12 months after you finish the role, giving 99% of them the oppportunity to use it.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I was going to say there's no way Sham Castle is the 2nd best course in the South West! I could come up with a list as long as my arm of better courses, but the immediately obvious question is which of Saunton and Burnham and Berrow is Bath better than?!

EDIT: A quick bit of google stalking quickly reveals his identity, and he is indeed the club captain of Bath Golf Club. I suppose if we're just discussing the hypothetical question of entitlement, that's not really relevant! A quick read about him reveals he's done some really good things for some really good causes, not a bad person, I'm sure, but a bit of a misjudgement!

Someone once told me "that you can go through life doing no wrong and the first time you do, that's what you will be remembered for". Unfortunately for Mr Bath. This seems to be the case.
Thought the response from the club was excellent.
Think the captains freebies is excellent but 300 plus requests for free rounds, can a club really afford that. any club. I have had one freebie this year at the Nottinghamshire ( our course was hosting Notts PGA or summat), it was fantastic. Wonder how many requests they get. Gonna ask our secretary tomorrow to see how many we get a year.

oh ah just remembered, the bloke who told me the " go through life bit" he got remembered for being caught nicking out of a supermarket 😳

londonlewis

Tour Rookie
www.golfdrawer.com
I wasn't aware club captains often get a freebie to play other courses and I don't see why they should. They should pay like the rest of us.

Putting a poor review on Tripadviser is churlish and the response is excellent.
I wouldn't be put off playing somewhere with this Tripadviser review anyway. I'd see through it as someone holding a grudge.