NW or NE golf trip

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was looking at booking MacDonald Portal or similar for a Sunday driver deal next month but availability/tee times are pretty booked up for decent tee times so looking at just booking a Travelodge/similar and playing a round Sunday afternoon (12/1pm) and Monday. Not looking for around Leeds/Harrogate as I know that area well but looking for a couple of courses at around £30/40 per person within a 90 minute drive of Bradford for 3 mid 20's handicappers.

All suggestions welcome.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Keeping to the 90 minute drive limit, how about playing Richmond and Darlington? Both are decent courses, fine for those handicaps and prices should be well within budget. Stay in Richmond. It's only about 15 minutes between them, I know as I did it this year ?

There is a Premierinn at Catterick garrison about 1-2 miles from Richmond so a taxi into Richmond between 3 would be for nothing.

If you want to go further up then Ramside Hall is worth checking out. Don't play the Cathedral course there, no one likes it. Hopefully one of the Durham lads on here can suggest another course to go with the Prince Bishops course at ramside. Plenty of options, I just don't know which would be best.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Keeping to the 90 minute drive limit, how about playing Richmond and Darlington? Both are decent courses, fine for those handicaps and prices should be well within budget. Stay in Richmond. It's only about 15 minutes between them, I know as I did it this year ?

There is a Premierinn at Catterick garrison about 1-2 miles from Richmond so a taxi into Richmond between 3 would be for nothing.

If you want to go further up then Ramside Hall is worth checking out. Don't play the Cathedral course there, no one likes it. Hopefully one of the Durham lads on here can suggest another course to go with the Prince Bishops course at ramside. Plenty of options, I just don't know which would be best.

Did a Sunday driver at Ramside a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed with the newer course but rang earlier and the price/tee times didn't suit really. Tried to get through to Slaley but no answer.

I'll look into that suggestion. Cheers.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
Did a Sunday driver at Ramside a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed with the newer course but rang earlier and the price/tee times didn't suit really. Tried to get through to Slaley but no answer.

I'll look into that suggestion. Cheers.
Slaley has a bad reputation for incredibly slow rounds so I wouldn't put too much effort in there. If you are prepared to go that far have you looked at Matfen Hall? Nice course options, 3 x 9 holes, hotel has been refurbished and they have rooms to fill.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Stop in Durham (city). If you only play one course play Brancepth, in my opinion, the best in Durham. You could then play either South Moor or Beamish, but take your climbing boots, or better still Bishop Auckland, south west of Durham it would be on your route up.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Slaley has a bad reputation for incredibly slow rounds so I wouldn't put too much effort in there. If you are prepared to go that far have you looked at Matfen Hall? Nice course options, 3 x 9 holes, hotel has been refurbished and they have rooms to fill.

We really enjoyed Slaley but yes it was a 5 hour round which wasn't an issue as we are on a jolly.
I'll have a look at Matfen.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Stop in Durham (city). If you only play one course play Brancepth, in my opinion, the best in Durham. You could then play either South Moor or Beamish, but take your climbing boots, or better still Bishop Auckland, south west of Durham it would be on your route up.

Nice one, I'll look into that.

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Carden Park near Chester has 2 good courses and great accommodation. They do decent golf break deals..... much better than macdonald portal

Bratty

Princess Pouty (Queen of Fish Lips)
Visit site
Bondhay Golf Club was amazing when I played it (some years ago now though). 70 minutes from Bradford, according to Google.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
It may not be £ 30-40 each, but possibly £80 as a total - Cavendish (near Buxton) and Disley (not too far away) - both quirky Alistair Mackenzie courses, scenic, challenging in part, scorable in part.

Stay in Buxton, decent night out.

Marshy77

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It may not be £ 30-40 each, but possibly £80 as a total - Cavendish (near Buxton) and Disley (not too far away) - both quirky Alistair Mackenzie courses, scenic, challenging in part, scorable in part.

Stay in Buxton, decent night out.

Nice one, cheers. Hope you're well mate.

Just had an option given with Forest Pines which was originally where my mate's fancied so looking into that. If that falls through I'll mention these options on here but really appreciate the suggestions. Always good to hear reviews about courses you've never played or heard of.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
If that falls through I'll mention these options on here but really appreciate the suggestions. Always good to hear reviews about courses you've never played or heard of.
It is one of those areas where this place excels. I'd never heard of either of those courses before, would never have thought of Buxton. It's a new area for me, one I'll have a look at as well.