NRs in medal

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I played my first medal at the weekend and looking at the results I was surprised at the number of NRs returned. From 120 entries, 19 either NR’d or didn’t return a card. Is this high or just normal practice in a medal?

Mandofred

Visit site
I played my first medal at the weekend and looking at the results I was surprised at the number of NRs returned. From 120 entries, 19 either NR’d or didn’t return a card. Is this high or just normal practice in a medal?
I would say that is a bit high. From 120 I would expect up to 10...., but....the leaves are falling and causing havoc. When you hit a shot that "should" be fine but just can't find it in the leaves, sometimes people just say to heck with it...especially if they don't have a good round going (I've certainly done it).

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Seems normal yeah. In my club they tend not to have medals in winter, it switches over to more Stablefords, probably to avoid the higher number of NRs caused by poor conditions (balls lost in leaves, plugged etc).

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Seems normal yeah. In my club they tend not to have medals in winter, it switches over to more Stablefords, probably to avoid the higher number of NRs caused by poor conditions (balls lost in leaves, plugged etc).
It was the last medal of the year, delayed 2 weeks due to weather so course wasn’t in great condition as greens had been hollowed tined the previous week. Maybe this contributed to the high number

D

Deleted member 3432

We regularly get between 40 and 50. When the wind is up people just get sick of looking for their ball in the heather and gorse.
2 or 3 in the group hitting provisional every hole gets boring very fast and well as slowing down play to a snail's pace so NR is common sense in my opinion.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Have none of your clubs at least tried out the Maximum Score version of medals which was designed to reduce - or completely eradicate - the incidence of NRs.

D

Deleted member 3432

Have none of your clubs at least tried out the Maximum Score version of medals which was designed to reduce - or completely eradicate - the incidence of NRs.
Net double bogey is maximum score surely?

Picking up just speeds up play....

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Net double bogey is maximum score surely?

Picking up just speeds up play....

For a maximum score medal to be a QR, the maximum is 5 over par. One blow up hole still allows a score to be posted (net double bogey for handicap purposes still applies).

Canary_Yellow

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
No medals in winter at my place.

I’ve NRd in a couple of medals and still ended up with a handicap cut due to high stableford points (but an unfortunate lost ball ending my medal score).

I always put my score in even if I didn’t finish one or two holes.

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
Isn't that what Stableford is for though?

Medal is medal ?‍♀️

Not really. Let's say an 18 handicapper manages to put 3 OOB from the tee on a par 4, his score will be recorded as a 9 and he can continue playing to score his best on the remaining holes. There should be no need for him to say "stuff it", tear his card up and stop trying.

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Nowt wrong with NRing a hole and carrying on in a medal, still lots of golf to be played even if your score isn’t in the comp anymore.

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
You need to be clear here as to what you mean by Non Return.

Not submitting your card at all is a big no no.

Having a mare and picking up but continuing on from the next hole is no issue. We are all amateurs and can have a mare, whats the point in scoring an 11 on a hole to hold everyone else up? Or having to return to the tee box because you've lost a ball unexpectedly.

At our club, if you fail to submit your card at all then you are banned from entering the next competition. It has drastically reduced the number of non returns of cards

rosecott

Money List Winner
Visit site
No I got it 100% straight away, it's capping a score.
Perhaps a fair idea for new players in the new higher handicap categories, but hopefully they would never introduce it to proper medal competitions.

They have - at the discretion of the club.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
No I got it 100% straight away, it's capping a score.
Perhaps a fair idea for new players in the new higher handicap categories, but hopefully they would never introduce it to proper medal competitions.
And that's just what it says.
The maximum score form of play is unlikely to be used for elite play, but it may be useful in many other contexts, such as for beginners or golfers who are less skilled or experienced. More generally it could be used at club level and day-to-day play when pace of play is a particular concern.

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
You need to be clear here as to what you mean by Non Return.

Not submitting your card at all is a big no no.

Having a mare and picking up but continuing on from the next hole is no issue. We are all amateurs and can have a mare, whats the point in scoring an 11 on a hole to hold everyone else up? Or having to return to the tee box because you've lost a ball unexpectedly.

At our club, if you fail to submit your card at all then you are banned from entering the next competition. It has drastically reduced the number of non returns of cards
About half were NRs and the rest DQ for no t handing in a card. Not sure what the ‘punishment’ is for no card

Coffey

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
About half were NRs and the rest DQ for no t handing in a card. Not sure what the ‘punishment’ is for no card

That is not too bad. As we moved from handing in a physical card to online score entry our numbers for not returning a score was about 20/25 per comp out of about 140 people. This just couldn't go on so the punishment had to be brought in. We now see about 2 or 3 which is a great result.

Tommy10

Visit site
A lot of NR's at our club this season but the golf manager sent a mail out saying it was affecting CSS, so from now on if you don't enter a score you are DQ'd