Nottingham Golf

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
I'm thinking of booking a golf trip to the Nottingham area and playing Holinwell, Sherwood Forest, Coxmoor and 1 other.
Any suggestions of a 4th course, looked at a few of them and leaning towards Lindrick (played before) or Wollaton Park?
Would it be better to stay in Mansfield (less driving) or Nottingham (probably more nightlife), looking at the premier inns for a hotel and want pubs/restaurants within walking distance if possible?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, there may also be space for a few players especially if we go down the team open comps route in September.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I'm thinking of booking a golf trip to the Nottingham area and playing Holinwell, Sherwood Forest, Coxmoor and 1 other.
Any suggestions of a 4th course, looked at a few of them and leaning towards Lindrick (played before) or Wollaton Park?
Would it be better to stay in Mansfield (less driving) or Nottingham (probably more nightlife), looking at the premier inns for a hotel and want pubs/restaurants within walking distance if possible?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated, there may also be space for a few players especially if we go down the team open comps route in September.

firstly I live in the Mansfield area and if it’s a choice between Mansfield or Nottingham. It’s definitely Nottingham.
the three courses you have chosen are the best you will get. The Nottinghamshire is six miles from Notts. But me I would play Wollaston Park. I have played it twice and loved it. For gods sake keep away from the Stags.
re restaurants in Nottingham and pubs. You will be spoilt for choice. A pint on Ye olde trip to Jerusalem is a must.
let us know when you are going and al give a more up to date list.

Robin Hood

Visit site
firstly I live in the Mansfield area and if it’s a choice between Mansfield or Nottingham. It’s definitely Nottingham.
the three courses you have chosen are the best you will get. The Nottinghamshire is six miles from Notts. But me I would play Wollaston Park. I have played it twice and loved it. For gods sake keep away from the Stags.
re restaurants in Nottingham and pubs. You will be spoilt for choice. A pint on Ye olde trip to Jerusalem is a must.
let us know when you are going and al give a more up to date list.
I'll help out too, if wanted.
I have lived in Nottingham for over 30 years and played most of the courses.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
I'll help out too, if wanted.
I have lived in Nottingham for over 30 years and played most of the courses.

RH, I did think Ramsdale, but having said that, I would play Wollaton, Coxmoor, Sherwood and Hollinwell in that order. Have a couple,of looseness before the real misters courses. Plus if going back home after Hollinwell it’s 10 mins tops to the M1.

NJC, Ave just been asked re advise on Notts pubs etc, I can copy and paste if you get any nearer to booking. ?

SGC001

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Worsksop would be another option as wouldongcliffe, they'd be no further than lindrick which you've played Or may be travel to beau desert.

Lazkir

Head Pro
Visit site
I'd avoid Ramsdale, played it quite a bit recently. Not somewhere I'd really recommend, it has a few good holes but it's pretty 'meh' for the most part. Having said that, I don't rate Coxmoor that much either, nor it's new clubhouse. More like a council leisure centre to me, and the locals are so far up their jacksies it's untrue!

Swango1980

Visit site
I've played Bonhay and Rufford Park, and really liked both. Not played Ramsdale, but heard it is decent (but apparently very hilly?). I also like Oakmere Park, which is between Nottingham and Mansfield.

fenwayrich

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Don't stay in Mansfield!!! I'm Nottingham born and bred. It's not without problems, but it's a great city, some cracking pubs like The Bell and the iconic Olde Trip to Jerusalem. Apparently the nightlife's OK (not my cup of tea nowadays).

I'm a member at Wollaton Park, and I'm sure we would be happy to welcome you. We're not in the same league as Sherwood Forest and especially Hollinwell (Notts GC), and the lovely course at Coxmoor is also a notch or two above, but I think we hold our own with the other courses in Nottinghamshire. An added bonus is that even on a bad day, the scenery and the wildlife on the park make you happy to be alive. And we're about 3 miles from the city centre. If you come in October, watch out for the stags.

If not Wollaton, Worksop would be a good option, Lindrick as well, although it is more in the 'elite' variety. Beeston Fields is up the road from us and I always enjoy my annual battle with their greens. How about Kedleston Park on the outskirts of Derby, about a similar distance from Nottingham as the courses in the north of the county. Hosts Open pre-qualifying and easily Derbyshire's best course.

Wherever you go, enjoy it.

njc1973

Head Pro
Visit site
Thanks for all the suggestions, now looks like we will be playing Trentham on the way down from Heysham to break up the trip a bit, so that would be our 4th course.