Not my finest moment.

badgermat

Club Champion
Visit site
Thanks all, I feel marginally less bad now. Still a bit annoyed that I lost my temper, but somewhat validated by people responses here.

In the end, as much as being hit into is rude and potentially dangerous, having a ball land close to you is something of an occupational hazard of playing golf. Approaching it with a degree of equanimity makes everything is a whole lot more agreeable.

bm

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Some have suggested it was a failed forum "hit" and money might have changed hands. Sadly the messages got mixed and I hit the shot instead of a competent player

There were no "competent players" in the group , evidenced by the fact they were all at the back of the green searching for, and eventually finding, the "lost" ball.

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site
It happened to us at Formosa , Auckland when we were there on our honeymoon , playing as a two ball there was a four ball behind us who drove into us twice, we stepped to one side and let them pay through as they were on buggies, From observing them their general etiquette was extremely poor and their accents definitely from across the "Pond" !!
Whilst playing out there for 6 years nevers saw or heard of folks driving into others .

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
There were no "competent players" in the group , evidenced by the fact they were all at the back of the green searching for, and eventually finding, the "lost" ball.
I meant in the group waiting (well over the five minutes) to then take out the trouble maker with a laser like shot. Instead they gave the task to a numpty like me who could only stick it inside three feet of the hole

Chico84

Visit site
I think what you did was fine. No chance of hitting them but making it clear that what they did was not only out of order but dangerous too.

Whilst I’d like to think I’d be level headed enough to do something smart like write on their ball or tee it up if I were in your position I’d probably have picked it up and very visibly thrown it into the bushes. Having nearly had my baby diughter in her buggy hit whilst we were walking on Wimbledon Common (another can of worms there!) I’m fairly intolerant of idiots who can’t wait a few moments to take their shot safely.

Last edited:

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I meant in the group waiting (well over the five minutes) to then take out the trouble maker with a laser like shot. Instead they gave the task to a numpty like me who could only stick it inside three feet of the hole

The group being shot at had to find someone who could spell properly so that we didn't look stupid writing "knob" on the ball ?

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Slow play, no matter how frustrating, is absolutely never an excuse to start hitting balls when other players are still even remotely within reach. Mistakes happen, but this sounds deliberate actions.

I think your response whilst an over reaction is entirely understandable, PW vs Driver you are not endangering them either.

D

Deleted member 1147

If they were still in the teeing ground, and saw you hit it back, then they were in a position to see that you were there.
As such they have no leg to stand on in this argument.
You showed restraint on the first two holes, and then quite understandably had enough.

Griffsters

Hacker
Visit site
Thanks all, I feel marginally less bad now. Still a bit annoyed that I lost my temper, but somewhat validated by people responses here.

In the end, as much as being hit into is rude and potentially dangerous, having a ball land close to you is something of an occupational hazard of playing golf. Approaching it with a degree of equanimity makes everything is a whole lot more agreeable.

bm

I agree with this, I think most of us as golfers have been nearly hit by a ball (or hit) or been the player who has nearly hit another person. In the overwhelming majority of these cases it is a bad shot or misjudgement and there is genuine concern and apologies given or received. For me that is end of story, it does and will happen no matter how much we don't want it to.

Doing it knowingly and deliberately (as appears in this case) is a whole other level of stupid tho.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
Stamp on it, tee it up, write on it, kick/throw it away, pocket it, swap it or hit it part way back, all seem pretty reasonable and not endangering anyone after a 3rd instance of being hit into when you’re clearly in sight

I’d like to think I’d go for tee it up or stamp it down but I’ll only know if it happens to me

AmandaJR

Money List Winner
Visit site
We had this a few weeks ago and David wanted to smack it back at them or into the trees but I put it on a tee peg instead - did feel a bit lame but less controversial I suppose. They did keep back after that. I'm going the sharpie route next time! I have trod on and kicked balls into the rough in the past.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I think what you did was fine. No chance of hitting them but making it clear that what they did was not only out of order but dangerous too.

Whilst I’d like to think I’d be level headed enough to do something smart like write on their ball or tee it up if I were in your position I’d probably have picked it up and very visibly thrown it into the bushes. Having nearly had my baby diughter in her buggy hit whilst we were walking on Wimbledon Common (another can of worms there!) I’m fairly intolerant of idiots who can’t wait a few moments to take their *** safely.
Christ, sounds disgusting! Remind me never to go there! :LOL::poop:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
I’ve never heard anyone trying to justify hitting into a group in front before! Shocking behaviour
Re the OP, it sounds to me like you reacted quiet mildly. I’ve reacted in a less reserved way before
I've done it. Not deliberately mind. But got to the tee - and not knowingly having any group in front off me - and as I couldn't see a group in front on the fairway (never mind within range) - I whacked off my tee shot. For two guys to appear from the woods on the right hand side as my ball went whizzing past them. Their bags/trolleys had been just out of sight at the edge of the trees. I got a load of abuse from a distance...I shrugged - fair enough as they weren't to know I couldn't see them or their gear.

Mind you when I got to the green and they were on the next tee and one of the pair launched a tirade of abuse at me - and, despite my apologising, it continued. Well. My response was simply stating that I thought it unacceptable and inappropriate for that sort of language to be used on the golf course. I have since made quite regular nodding greeting to him - but he has not acknowledged or returned my 'reaching out' - and the incident happened about ten years ago.

Some folks.