Not my finest moment.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hard not to react, don’t think you did anything wrong to be honest but always likely to provoke a confrontation.

I tend to be a bit more passive aggressive about it. Teeing the offending ball up - although that’s best when they’ve hit too soon on a blind shot. I’ll probably do the sharpie thing some day....

Played a driveable par 4 yesterday (very driveable - I just hit a hybrid onto the green). Very slow day, waiting every shot so group behind were waiting. We holed out but before I even got off the green there was a shout of “fore” from behind. Gits couldn’t even give us another 30 secs to get clear. I was raging and all for confronting them but, what’s the point? I’d only have got more worked up and ruined my day.
Just don’t understand that when you are waiting on a slow day.
It’s just arrogance.
It actually puts me off if there are people in my sight line.
I have been hit and hospitalised and it’s not nice.

Sats

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Don't be too hard on yourself. Very easy to analyse the situation calmly and taking our time. You reacted emotionally (not blaming btw) and made a decision within seconds. You probably were thinking when not if during that round when one of their balls was going to hit your wife or yourself - and I think in that situation you'd hit a stinger about gentlemens height straight at them.

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
It’s always dependant on the situation.. is there a gap in front of you, or not. If not the groups behind need to be patient. If there is, then they should have asked if you could let them through, politely, if you had not noticed you had lost time to the group in front. However just hitting a few sighters and then over your heads was poor form. Did you react poorly, yeah bit emotional. Should have pulled the phone out and called the pro shop, held everyone up and made sure they were insured for that kind of stuff... no insurance and you can have artistic licence to make a massive fuss. ( although I dunno if insurance would pay out if you had been hit! )
I am all for ejecting people who are dangerous, but I am all for forgiving genuine mistakes. We do need to get tougher on this behaviour. I disagree with kicking golf balls and the like as well. If you feel in danger report it to the club, ultimately they are responsible for the behaviour of the members and green fees ... and they can apply the disciplinary process.

D

Deleted member 16999

It’s always dependant on the situation.. is there a gap in front of you, or not. If not the groups behind need to be patient. If there is, then they should have asked if you could let them through, politely, if you had not noticed you had lost time to the group in front. However just hitting a few sighters and then over your heads was poor form. Did you react poorly, yeah bit emotional. Should have pulled the phone out and called the pro shop, held everyone up and made sure they were insured for that kind of stuff... no insurance and you can have artistic licence to make a massive fuss. ( although I dunno if insurance would pay out if you had been hit! )
I am all for ejecting people who are dangerous, but I am all for forgiving genuine mistakes. We do need to get tougher on this behaviour. I disagree with kicking golf balls and the like as well. If you feel in danger report it to the club, ultimately they are responsible for the behaviour of the members and green fees ... and they can apply the disciplinary process.
Did you read the op or are you answering in general terms?

The reason I ask is that the incidents happened on the first 3 holes.

Swango1980

Visit site
Did you read the op or are you answering in general terms?

The reason I ask is that the incidents happened on the first 3 holes.
Also, the OP said his wife was waiting for green to clear when it first happened. And also said it was a very busy day with slow groups everywhere. So, it would suggest there was no gap in front.

D

Deleted member 16999

Yes and yes... as stated patience is required. As stated let the club deal with it.
Patience by who? Him and his wife were at risk on the first 3 holes!

If he’d of said they were on 7,8,9 or 12,13,14 etc I’d understand what you were trying to say, but there is absolutely no excuse when it happens on the 1st.

Fabia999

Visit site
I wouldn't of hit it back personally but I think about it everytime. I'm loving the stories about lashing the ball away so keep them coming :LOL::LOL::LOL:

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
they sound way out of order, but i suspect not unheard of on public courses, no recourse i suppose.

i'd have kept there balls or chucked them in the rough at least

harpo_72

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Patience by who? Him and his wife were at risk on the first 3 holes!

If he’d of said they were on 7,8,9 or 12,13,14 etc I’d understand what you were trying to say, but there is absolutely no excuse when it happens on the 1st.
All of them

ScienceBoy

Money List Winner
Visit site
Back before COVID sicking a tee in the ground near them was good enough to to signal it’s too close without interfering with their ball. Not sure what is OK these days as it’s not easy to communicate with them unless you end up close enough to ask if they can hold back for 15 more yards or so.

Bunkermagnet

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I think after the third time, they wouldn't have found their ball as it would have been carried someway down the fairway and dropped in the next bin I came across. If they asked if I picked it up, the reply would have been "what the ball that landed in front of us?.....oh that one"

Last edited:

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I wouldn't hit it back as I don't think two wrongs make it right and also I can't guarantee at the moment my shot back would go straight. I feel for the OP and it was downright arrogant of group behind. Not sure what the answer would be but definitely don't think the OP should beat himself up for acting in the heat of the moment. If it was only three holes in then a call to the shop and say you've nearly been hit (maybe over egg it a tad if necessary) wouldn't entail a long buggy ride for a staff member surely

birdyhunter

Visit site
Always carry an old Penfold Ace so you can discretely swap it with the ball played by the kn0b who could have seriously injured your wife.

You never know, they might even get a penalty for playing the wrong ball :)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Writing "knob" on the ball is always the answer and I know people who've done it ??

If people vacate the green and don't leave a bag or any form of knowing all of the group are searching for an errant ball how would any responsible golfer, who asked his fellow playing partners if it was safe to play, know the said group hadn't moved on

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
If people vacate the green and don't leave a bag or any form of knowing all of the group are searching for an errant ball how would any responsible golfer, who asked his fellow playing partners if it was safe to play, know the said group hadn't moved on

A weak and feeble excuse for putting lives at risk ??

Leftitshort

Visit site
I’ve never heard anyone trying to justify hitting into a group in front before! Shocking behaviour
Re the OP, it sounds to me like you reacted quiet mildly. I’ve reacted in a less reserved way before