Not a Tiger fan boy but......

• Thread starter Deleted member 18588
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 18588

As the title suggests I have never really been a massive fan of Tiger.

Obviously I admired and respected his achievements but something about him meant my admiration was a little subdued.

However, his performance last night means I now view him in a different light.

Imagine how, as the greatest player of his era, he must have felt after his 10 at the 12th. Embarrassed, humiliated, angry, any or all of the above and many would have effectively chucked in the towel or even made an excuse and walked in.

I don't know if it was professional pride, respect for the tournament and the game of golf or some other inner motivation but to then birdie 5 of the remaining 6 was, for me, up there with any of his high profile achievements.

Respect to Tiger!

Mandofred

Visit site
Never been a fan myself.....but in these last few years he's growing on me a bit and he's coming across a lot friendlier. Yeah....pretty classy all the way round yesterday. Just wanted to play the Hamlet cigar song there for a little bit....

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah, it was an incredible response. The main reason he won everything there is to win is that mental aspect, never-say-die and always willing to fight with every fibre of his being.

Made better for me as well because one of my mates had a bet on round 2 for BDC, Rahm & Woods to get 5 birdies each, and Woods was the one that let it down. So when Woods showed he was capable of getting 5 birdies in 6 holes it gave us an extra stick to beat him with. :LOL:

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Not sure I can go down the route of 'celebrating' his response - but I absolutely do recognise and welcome signs of acceptance and humility on this occasion that have not been that evident in times past.

sunshine

Visit site
I think Tiger got distracted on 12. DJ sent Paulina to go and watch Tiger. DJ is smarter than he looks

ccec865ed23d3e73b34ae3aed97cd1ec

PJ87

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Maybe he should play angry more lol he's been so happy since he came back. Angry tiger kicked the course Into touch

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
Great response, and as another who has never been a Tiger fan, I’m really warming to him off the course.

His post round interviews always used to be very analytical bordering on clinical, but these days he seems more chatty, much more at ease and it almost seems as thought he is enjoying himself.

Now, if he could just smile occasionally on the course.........

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Totally agree with the OP. Could have walked in with a back injury or simply got it round but he was magnificent on the final holes. I am not a Woods fan, and have been critical on here in the past but that took a lot of strength both mental and physical. Hopefully its not a major problem and just a spasm. Looking at the Tiger on Thursday he seemed so loose and in control with a great tempo and towards the end of Saturday and Sunday looked like the Tiger we've seen a lot of and really strugglin

Visit site
It was Tiger who managed to get me interested in golf 20 years ago. My father had always said "don't get involved in golf.....waste of time".
Thanks to Tiger, I'm loving it as much now as when I started.
Thus I still find myself egging him on to succeed even after yesterday's meltdown on 12. What an incredible competitor he is, and golf is where it is today thanks to him.
Those Rolex adverts crediting Tiger were fabulous. Did you see the crowds following him in that overhead shot of him walking up the 18th at East Lake to take his 80th win? No other player commands his following. He is simply "box office", and I take my hat off to him, especially after the disaster on the 12th yesterday.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
It was Tiger who managed to get me interested in golf 20 years ago. My father had always said "don't get involved in golf.....waste of time".
Thanks to Tiger, I'm loving it as much now as when I started.
Thus I still find myself egging him on to succeed even after yesterday's meltdown on 12. What an incredible competitor he is, and golf is where it is today thanks to him.
Those Rolex adverts crediting Tiger were fabulous. Did you see the crowds following him in that overhead shot of him walking up the 18th at East Lake to take his 80th win? No other player commands his following. He is simply "box office", and I take my hat off to him, especially after the disaster on the 12th yesterday.

Definitely box office. That doesn't please some people of course but he is still capable of some flashes of brilliance. Sadly I don't think he's body is going to last a lot longer so for those that do like or admire him, enjoy it while it lasts

williamalex1

Money List Winner
Visit site
Definitely box office. That doesn't please some people of course but he is still capable of some flashes of brilliance. Sadly I don't think he's body is going to last a lot longer so for those that do like or admire him, enjoy it while it lasts
I sadly agree with your thoughts that his the body won't last . In the green jacket presentation I thought his face and neck looked kind of frail skinny and old :cry:.
Wish I had his Problems :ROFLMAO:

The Fader

Visit site
Love him or hate him (I'm on the Love side of the equation) I don't think anyone can reasonably deny he hasn't been the single most important factor in taking golf to where it is now in terms of skill levels, popularity and financial rewards.

At his peak he was almost untouchable - I heard the commentators say that DJ's win rate of 10% was unbelievable - Tiger was at 25%.

His "slump" was mainly self inflicted and it was during that time that a lot of today's best players started to establish themselves without the "Tiger fear factor" inhibiting their progress.

His finish on Sunday was just Tiger being Tiger - squeezing every last effort out to achieve the lowest score possible. He can still do it in short bursts but whether he has a 72 hole Major run in him is getting more unlikely but everyone said that before April 2019! Maybe he can tempt the genie out of the bottle one more time?

He may not have eclipsed JN's Major win tally but for me he stands at the very top in the GOAT rankings.

TigerBear

Visit site
For me he's the sole reason why I picked up a club and why I always had an interest in golf.

Still life in the old cat yet and I think he has a few major surprises still to come for us all! ;)

Ethan

Money List Winner
Visit site
I am not a particular fan of the man, but he is clearly one of the two contenders for GOAT.

I think Sunday showed both sides of him at once. The 10 would never have happened at his peak, his powers are clearly more unreliable nowadays. He did come back great, although he wasn't contending for anything except personal pride. The interview with Cara Banks on Sky did not mention the 10 at all. I suspect she had been asked not to go there, so it was a bit softball. Pity, it would have been an opportunity for a bit of humility or self-deprecation from Tiger.

You may remember the press conference where Seve was asked how he had 4 putted. His answer was " I miss, I miss, I miss, I make".