Non-counting medal

D

Deleted member 31467

Why when the competitions are really well supported?

A lot of players really do not worry about poor weather and wet grass. I know there are a lot of fair weather only golfers around and to some extent I would include myself but it is only when it is heavy rain that I will not play.

Our open Winter knockout is exactly that - a winter Open and players are expected to play in all weathers. If the course is open then the rounds go ahead. I once refereed the final which was played on 18 temporary greens.
I was responding to a post about the course being frozen solid not a bit of wet grass.

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
I don't see at all understand why you think SG or any other body outside of club committees should mandate one-off season. I am like most places Scottish golf courses vary greatly in how they play across the year, but doubt whether most links are any less playable across the winter, when they will be slightly softer, that the middle of the summer when they are fast and running. In fact some err will play easier in winter.
My course certainly does. Softer, often less breezy and rough all cut back.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Yeah it's part of the problem, I think SG have looked at conditions on links courses and thought what's the issue, but inland it's a nonsense.

What problem? If some clubs can't run qualifying competitions and members of some clubs seldom or never have the conditions in which they would want to put in a general play scores, that's no reason for denying clubs and players who can from doing what they can when they can. There's no problem, no issue that I can see.

Last edited:

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I was responding to a post about the course being frozen solid not a bit of wet grass.

Frozen solid, as it is like now, our course is closed on health and safety grounds.

When there is just generally frost over a few days with slightly hard ground we do not even got to temporary green

What is the difference, in golfing terms, between a course being solid because it is frozen and a course which is solid due to extreme drought (as experienced last summer)?

D-S

Visit site
What is the difference, in golfing terms, between a course being solid because it is frozen and a course which is solid due to extreme drought (as experienced last summer)?
Chalk and cheese; you could hold greens in the drought conditions, when they are frozen the ball either bounces 30 feet in the air or skitters across and over the back - I could bounce a ball up and down on a frozen green, no way could I do this on even the driest summer green.
Bunkers are perfectly playable in a drought but almost impossible to escape from especially if there is any sort of lip.
Also the sort of bounces you get on summer fairways versus frozen muddy ones are totally different, far more random.
Slightly firm ground fine but frozen solid is a totally different thing.
Your course might close on H&S grounds when it is frozen solid but many don't and a number also keep their main greens on.

Last edited: