Non-counting medal

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Under whs can a club just decide that a medal comp is a non-counter?
Entry fee charged, course has all greens in play.
Thanks and apologies if this has been asked before.

D-S

Visit site
This is from the CONGU Guide to Handicapping GB and I
“Rule 7.2b empowers a Committee, subject to the agreement of the National Association, to suspend the submission of scores for handicapping purposes if it considers course conditions to be exceptionally poor.”
This is the Rule for your info-
7.2b Other Actions
The Committee in charge of a competition may reserve the right to:

lDetermine that when course conditions are exceptionally poor, the submission of scores for handicap purposes should be suspended. The Committee should obtain approval from the appropriate Authorized Association when implementing such a suspension.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
“Rule 7.2b empowers a Committee, subject to the agreement of the National Association, to suspend the submission of scores for handicapping purposes if it considers course conditions to be exceptionally poor.”
7.2b Other Actions

lDetermine that when course conditions are exceptionally poor, the submission of scores for handicap purposes should be suspended. The Committee should obtain approval from the appropriate Authorized Association when implementing such a suspension.
Would a course frozen solid count as exceptionally poor..?
We've changed 2 Stableford comps to NQ in the last 4 days.
I don't know if permission was sought but to try and hold meaningful handicap counting competition in the current conditions is nonsense.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
7.2b Other Actions

KenL's post didn't seem to suggest the conditions were exceptionally poor

D-S

Visit site
Would a course frozen solid count as exceptionally poor..?
We've changed 2 Stableford comps to NQ in the last 4 days.
I don't know if permission was sought but to try and hold meaningful handicap counting competition in the current conditions is nonsense.
When my course used to play on frozen main greens (we tend not to these days) we had dispensation from the County to make competitions non qualifying.

patricks148

Global Moderator
Visit site
Quite a few clubs up here run NQ comes I winter, no issues at all. Most though are using mats from fairway and first cut. Though I think tain don't use mats, but it is a significantly shorter course with a couple par 4 turned into 3's

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
The comp is listed as being a qualifier but people who played said that it wouldn't be.
I'll know for sure tomorrow ones scores go onto records or not.

D-S

Visit site
If the greens were frozen solid first thing and they had no way of delaying the competition, I could understand that this could qualify as ‘exceptionally poor’ conditions.
I assume the course was of a qualifying length?

D-S

Visit site
"course has all greens in play."
All greens in play is just one aspect of course conditions. ‘In play‘ doesn’t describe their condition, they could have been frozen or waterlogged. Additionally the course could have been of the wrong length etc. There also could have been a local rule in place that rendered it non qualifying, ‘greens in play’ doesn’t cover all aspects and does not necessarily mean that the conditions are not ‘exceptionally poor’ as per the rule quoted.

IanMcC

Visit site
I would venture that many, possibly most, winter course set ups do not meet the criterea for qualifying comps.
I also think too many courses run qualifiers when they shouldn't.
Even on a perfectly maintained course, the greens are bobblier, the fairways muddier, and the rough more uneven.
No one hits it as long in the winter as they do in the summer either.
Why anyone would want to play in a qualifier between November and February is beyond me.

IanMcC

Visit site
Mid winter golf. Fresh air, exercise, losen the muscles. That's it.

Our course was frozen solid today. There was a comp. We didn't enter it, I hope it wasn't qualifying
Exactly my point. We run 3 comps a week, same a the Summer, but none of them are qualifiers because of the course conditions.
We get decent entries.
If they were qualifiers then we would get less than half entries, I reckon.