Non-counting medal

KenL

Tour Rookie
Visit site
If the whole course is frozen solid with no possibility of holding greens guarded at the front by bunkers or obstacles, with concrete bunkers and ridiculous bounces- do you still believe the course should be qualifying and competitions run as such?
I certainly don't. Golf is a lottery then.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Our course (NE Scotland) is non qualifying from 1st November until end of March. Mats on closely mown and can be used in bunkers (they are generally solid all year!) and much of the period we are on winter greens. Even on summer greens it wouldn’t qualify due to the bunker rule!
There will be many parts of the world (much of Canada) that cannot play ‘Qualifying’ golf throughout the year
Most states in the USA have non-qualifying periods as well. Utter pigheadedness from Scottish Golf not to implement the same in Scotland

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Surely frozen solid courses is one of the reasons that certain parts of the world have an ‘off season’ when it is highly likely that sub zero temperatures will prevail for extended periods.
Of course Canada and many northern USA States 'close down' because they are under 5' of snow.

D-S

Visit site
Of course Canada and many northern USA States 'close down' because they are under 5' of snow.
Yes of course, but the course would then be shut anyway, so no need for an 'off season'.
I assume the reason for an 'off season' is that the course maybe be open but, though the right length and on real greens, that it would be deemed unsuitable for qualifying golf.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
More to the point why would anyone be stupid enough to enter a competition in those conditions ?

There are many days at our club whereby if you want to play you have to enter the comp particularly Saturday medal days and seniors comps because they are so well supported regardless of the conditions.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
Largely yes, but like say the Scottish highlands, it's not constant, and you wouldn;t be out anyway in 5' of snow. But when there's no snow you could play but it's in the inactive season so would never count, whereas here the authorities have decided they always will, even though for long spells courses are virtually unplayable

Here's the USA list https://www.usga.org/content/usga/h...ctive-and-inactive-season-schedule-25489.html

Swango1980

Visit site
Largely yes, but like say the Scottish highlands, it's not constant, and you wouldn;t be out anyway in 5' of snow. But when there's no snow you could play but it's in the inactive season so would never count, whereas here the authorities have decided they always will, even though for long spells courses are virtually unplayable

Here's the USA list https://www.usga.org/content/usga/h...ctive-and-inactive-season-schedule-25489.html
Is there an "on season" in the Scottish Highlands?

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site

I don't see at all understand why you think SG or any other body outside of club committees should mandate one-off season. I am like most places Scottish golf courses vary greatly in how they play across the year, but doubt whether most links are any less playable across the winter, when they will be slightly softer, that the middle of the summer when they are fast and running. In fact some err will play easier in winter.

D-S

Visit site
I would assume the rationale behind the concept of an off season is for jurisdictions where it is mandatory for players to enter a score for virtually every round played.
In areas where courses are open but frozen solid for months of the year, it is perhaps easier to ‘shut down’ handicap golf centrally rather than relying on individual clubs to take responsibility.
If for some reason a course doesn’t ’turn it’s tees off’, then in the US and Canada you are compelled to enter your card even if the course is a frozen lottery unless action is taken by someone to prevent it.
This would undoubtedly lead to some odd scores being posted on records. A ‘reduction onlyk PCC might be an idea to circumvent this but you need 8 scores for PCC to kick in.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I don't see at all understand why you think SG or any other body outside of club committees should mandate one-off season. I am like most places Scottish golf courses vary greatly in how they play across the year, but doubt whether most links are any less playable across the winter, when they will be slightly softer, that the middle of the summer when they are fast and running. In fact some err will play easier in winter.
I don't think they should at all, but the HAVE, that's the issue here

D

Deleted member 31467

There are many days at our club whereby if you want to play you have to enter the comp particularly Saturday medal days and seniors comps because they are so well supported regardless of the conditions.

Then more fool your club for running competitions in those conditions.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
Most states in the USA have non-qualifying periods as well. Utter pigheadedness from Scottish Golf not to implement the same in Scotland

I don't quite get this. What would be the purpose of and justification for preventing players from returning scores for handicapping when conditions allow? Both the weather and the types of courses are so variable in Scotland - even in the North East - prohibiting the return of scores would prevent players from maintaining their handicap when it's possible to so. To what end? It makes far more sense to leave clubs to determine when to run competitions and decide when their courses are fit for the return of a general play score and give everyone the opportunity to put one one when possible.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I don't quite get this. What would be the purpose of and justification for preventing players from returning scores for handicapping when conditions allow? Both the weather and the types of courses are so variable in Scotland - even in the North East - prohibiting the return of scores would prevent players from maintaining their handicap when it's possible to so. To what end? It makes far more sense to leave clubs to determine when to run competitions and decide when their courses are fit for the return of a general play score and give everyone the opportunity to put one one when possible.
Do SG require clubs to conform to the last sentence in D-S's post #4?
The Committee should obtain approval from the appropriate Authorized Association when implementing such a suspension.

It seems to be a very restrictive requirement

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Then more fool your club for running competitions in those conditions.

Why when the competitions are really well supported?

A lot of players really do not worry about poor weather and wet grass. I know there are a lot of fair weather only golfers around and to some extent I would include myself but it is only when it is heavy rain that I will not play.

Our open Winter knockout is exactly that - a winter Open and players are expected to play in all weathers. If the course is open then the rounds go ahead. I once refereed the final which was played on 18 temporary greens.

D-S

Visit site
Do SG require clubs to conform to the last sentence in D-S's post #4?
The Committee should obtain approval from the appropriate Authorized Association when implementing such a suspension.

It seems to be a very restrictive requirement
I agree, my quote was a direct cut and paste from the CONGU guide to handicapping.
It would seem to be an unnecessary administrative step for a club to have to phone the County on the morning of a competition to gain approval for making it non qualifying.
In reality our County does not receive such requests regularly but I am sure clubs are making such decisions independently (and correctly in my view).

D-S

Visit site
Why when the competitions are really well supported?

A lot of players really do not worry about poor weather and wet grass. I know there are a lot of fair weather only golfers around and to some extent I would include myself but it is only when it is heavy rain that I will not play.

Our open Winter knockout is exactly that - a winter Open and players are expected to play in all weathers. If the course is open then the rounds go ahead. I once refereed the final which was played on 18 temporary greens.
Are the competitions always qualifying, even when for example the course is frozen solid?