No Returns - WHS

Old Skier

Tour Winner
Visit site
The current system typically required players to submit 3 "proper" scores (so to speak), before players could enter match play competitions. Perhaps some clubs put even bigger restrictions on entry to these, such as playing a minimum number of club comps? If there was clear evidence, then the Committee could always review handicaps for players cleaning up in match play comps.

I don't think that was a bad way to do it. Having players guess their scores instead just doesn't feel like it is better, in my view.

The min 3 cards, as far as I can see, apart for initial HC had disappeared. It will be up to clubs conditions of comp to decide on.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I can confirm that scores can be be returned for handicapping if four players play together regularly (eg every Monday morning) but play a 4BBB match. Providing they pre-register, all putt out and play in conformance with the RoG (eg. no advice to partner).

USER1999

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
This explains why some Americans never hole out, but seem to be putting a card in. They obviously knock it to a couple of feet, and pick up, adding one to their score. Seems odd to me. I have seen many people 4 putt from 2 feet.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
However CONGU has a different version of 3.3

3.3 When a Hole is Started But Player Does Not Hole Out

When a player starts a hole but does not hole out for a valid reason, subject to
other provisions set out within the Rules of Handicapping, the player must record
their score as appropriate for the situation and depending on the format of play,
for example, net double bogey or zero Stableford points.

Notes:
1. If the format of play does not allow a player to pick-up their ball before holing
out, for example an individual gross score or net score stroke play
competition, the player will be disqualified from the competition.
2. In a Maximum Score format of stroke play, there may be situations where a
player has not reached their net double bogey score before reaching the
maximum score as determined by the Terms of the Competition. In such
cases, the player should record either a net double bogey or zero Stableford
points (see Rules of Golf, Rule 21.2).