No more Winter Rules.....

wjemather

Visit site
So we just had this email:

Dear Members,

Local Rule E-3 is now in place:
"When any part of a player's ball touches part of the general area cut to fairway height or less, the player may take free relief once by placing the original ball or another ball in and playing it from this relief area:
Reference Point: Spot of the original ball.
Size of Relief Area Measured from Reference Point: One scorecard length from the reference point, but with these limits:
Limits on Location of Relief Area:
Must not be nearer the hole than the reference point, and
Must be in the general area."

This Model Local Rule E-3 has replaced what was commonly referred to as preferred lies and there is no such term as "winter rules".
If conditions alter the rule above will be removed, it does not automatically apply until 1st May.

Just seems like another case of golf over-complicating things pointlessly. I imagine this will stay until May realistically, but instead of 'preferred lies' 'pick and place' or 'winter rules' we have to call it 'Local Rule E-3'. Political correctness gone mad! :LOL:
More a case of the author of this email having less than optimal understanding and passing that on to members.

MLR E-3 is 'Preferred Lies' (it is even called that in the official Committee Procedures) - nothing has changed.

And per @D-S, most scorecards are over six inches in length (tri-fold cards are about 10"), which makes the relief area not acceptable for handicapping.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So we just had this email:

Dear Members,

Local Rule E-3 is now in place:
"When any part of a player's ball touches part of the general area cut to fairway height or less, the player may take free relief once by placing the original ball or another ball in and playing it from this relief area:
Reference Point: Spot of the original ball.
Size of Relief Area Measured from Reference Point: One scorecard length from the reference point, but with these limits:
Limits on Location of Relief Area:
Must not be nearer the hole than the reference point, and
Must be in the general area."

This Model Local Rule E-3 has replaced what was commonly referred to as preferred lies and there is no such term as "winter rules".
If conditions alter the rule above will be removed, it does not automatically apply until 1st May.

Just seems like another case of golf over-complicating things pointlessly. I imagine this will stay until May realistically, but instead of 'preferred lies' 'pick and place' or 'winter rules' we have to call it 'Local Rule E-3'. Political correctness gone mad! :LOL:
Just as well score cards are still used.
Or it’s the length of your electronic device.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
I have measured the length of one of our scorecards but I'm scared of the backlash now...

I think you (& the club) are fine. The actual MLR E-3 text gives 6" as just one of the examples of specifying the size of the relief area. The Club could choose scorecard or even club length (y)

1728454504994.png

YandaB

Visit site
I think you (& the club) are fine. The actual MLR E-3 text gives 6" as just one of the examples of specifying the size of the relief area. The Club could choose scorecard or even club length (y)

View attachment 55313
True, but the GB&I Guidance on the Rules of Handicapping contains the following in "GH/1 Preferred Lies":
"Note: In GB&I Acceptable Scores may be returned only when the specified area is within six inches (15cms)."

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
True, but the GB&I Guidance on the Rules of Handicapping contains the following in "GH/1 Preferred Lies":
"Note: In GB&I Acceptable Scores may be returned only when the specified area is within six inches (15cms)."

Ah, good to know (I'm not covered by GB&I territory)
Makes me wonder why a club committee isn't allowed to override a RoG but a handicap committee is, it would seem :unsure:

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I imagine that realistically, they've said a scorecard instead of six inches because people don't carry rulers or tape measures around with them so they'd just be guessing what six inches is anyway.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I imagine that realistically, they've said a scorecard instead of six inches because people don't carry rulers or tape measures around with them so they'd just be guessing what six inches is anyway.
Yes but like everything in golf now it seems up to the individual club.
Some have a club length.
That would make more sense imo as we all have clubs with us 😉
Plus a club length is used for most other times when moving the ball from where it lies.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site

And just for kicks n' giggles, under MLR E3, Preferred Lies, you don't have to mark your ball before you move it within the relief area
(good practice obviously but not mandated)

But under MLR E2, lift, clean, replace (or to give it its newer name 'Cleaning Ball') you must mark your ball

D-S

Visit site
Yes but like everything in golf now it seems up to the individual club.
Some have a club length.
That would make more sense imo as we all have clubs with us 😉
Plus a club length is used for most other times when moving the ball from where it lies.
With the best will in the world, in England, if the club wants their scores to be acceptable for handicapping, it is not up to the individual club - they must follow the model local rule sent out by EG.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
With the best will in the world, in England, if the club wants their scores to be acceptable for handicapping, it is not up to the individual club - they must follow the model local rule sent out by EG.
Or what? How is that policed? If a club says their pick and place is a club length, and lots of people put GP cards in - who outside of the club would know?

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Dosnt that say 6” ?
Or does it say a score card both can’t be correct.?
So some clubs already not following the model rule.

Just reword the model rule to a clublength all over the world then at least something in WHS would be consistent worldwide.
A clublength is acceptable elsewhere in the world for handicapping I assume.

Springveldt

Visit site
With all the rain we've had up here in the last 2 days (with more to come before the weekend) I wonder how many local clubs will have this new rule on for the weekend and if any of them will remove it before May.

D-S

Visit site
Dosnt that say 6” ?
Or does it say a score card both can’t be correct.?
So some clubs already not following the model rule.

Just reword the model rule to a clublength all over the world then at least something in WHS would be consistent worldwide.
A clublength is acceptable elsewhere in the world for handicapping I assume.
No idea.

D-S

Visit site
Or what? How is that policed? If a club says their pick and place is a club length, and lots of people put GP cards in - who outside of the club would know?
Just like everything a club does, tee placement, number of temps, size of holes, local rules in place etc. etc.no-one goes around checking. However there are enough golfers who know the rules generally to bring issues to the attention to the club officials, then if the issues are serious enough they always can bring them to the attention of the County and they do.
For example we had a club locally who seriously flouted the rules of course set up last winter and still were accepting GP scores. This was brought to the attention of the County and subsequently EG had them delete all the GP scores entered over a two month period.
There is a degree of trust that rules and guidelines are followed as no one can go round and check every club every day, but sanctions can be imposed if rules are not followed.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Just like everything a club does, tee placement, number of temps, size of holes, local rules in place etc. etc.no-one goes around checking. However there are enough golfers who know the rules generally to bring issues to the attention to the club officials, then if the issues are serious enough they always can bring them to the attention of the County and they do.
For example we had a club locally who seriously flouted the rules of course set up last winter and still were accepting GP scores. This was brought to the attention of the County and subsequently EG had them delete all the GP scores entered over a two month period.
There is a degree of trust that rules and guidelines are followed as no one can go round and check every club every day, but sanctions can be imposed if rules are not followed.
Well, our scorecards are in fact 6.7 inches long, but I'm sure this won't be seen as a serious issue. 😛