Nextdoor

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I thought I as reasonably clued up, but had never heard of nextdoor, the local neighbourhood app, until today when I got a letter, and actual letter, from my local neighbourhood organiser.

With everything else out there, is there really a benefit to this? Does anybody use it?

D

Deleted member 18121

I thought I as reasonably clued up, but had never heard of nextdoor, the local neighbourhood app, until today when I got a letter, and actual letter, from my local neighbourhood organiser.

With everything else out there, is there really a benefit to this? Does anybody use it?

I've used it for 6 months or so.... Apart from this forum is the only "social media" I use.

It has good aspects to it in terms of reporting crime issues, (ie a street not a million miles from me had 4 breaks ins on boxing Day morning).

But all too quickly people started using it for posting pointless things about their day out or their dinner etc. But as with most things it just becomes a whingefest every time someone has fireworks or a bonfire or wants to setup multiple speed awareness groups to go out and catch those nasty people doing 33 in a 30...... My patience for it wears very thin.

But in occasion, it has been helpful especially when selling things or giving stuff away for free.

Billysboots

Falling apart at the seams
Visit site
I've used it for 6 months or so.... Apart from this forum is the only "social media" I use.

It has good aspects to it in terms of reporting crime issues, (ie a street not a million miles from me had 4 breaks ins on boxing Day morning).

But all too quickly people started using it for posting pointless things about their day out or their dinner etc. But as with most things it just becomes a whingefest every time someone has fireworks or a bonfire or wants to setup multiple speed awareness groups to go out and catch those nasty people doing 33 in a 30...... My patience for it wears very thin.

But in occasion, it has been helpful especially when selling things or giving stuff away for free.

I’ve had a brief look and binned it off for the reasons you cite. Much like the local Facebook pages, it simply attracts those who moan incessantly about bad parking, dog ?, and want to know local refuse tip hours but can’t be bothered to use a search facility. And woe betide anyone who lets a firework off outside of the allowable times of 7.00-7.03pm on 5 November - they are castigated as though they are the devil incarnate.

Community pages can be a great source of information if used for their intended purpose, but invariably they are merely a vehicle for whiners. Nextdoor seems to be yet another.

Lord Tyrion

Money List Winner
Visit site
I’ve had a brief look and binned it off for the reasons you cite. Much like the local Facebook pages, it simply attracts those who moan incessantly about bad parking, dog ?, and want to know local refuse tip hours but can’t be bothered to use a search facility. And woe betide anyone who lets a firework off outside of the allowable times of 7.00-7.03pm on 5 November - they are castigated as though they are the devil incarnate.

Community pages can be a great source of information if used for their intended purpose, but invariably they are merely a vehicle for whiners. Nextdoor seems to be yet another.
I'm pleased to hear that local Facebook pages around the country are all the same ?. You missed off the request for the absolute best tradesman, no cowboys or shirkers, out there who only charge an hourly rate of £2.50, no more.

Banchory Buddha

Visit site
I'm pleased to hear that local Facebook pages around the country are all the same ?. You missed off the request for the absolute best tradesman, no cowboys or shirkers, out there who only charge an hourly rate of £2.50, no more.
:ROFLMAO:
Very true, although in that respect I'm lucky, I'm on Royal Deeside, it would be too gauche to mention remuneration dahling :p

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Id take one at £25 currently some of the quotes were getting :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

as for op, signed up but found it of little use, didnt have enough local people so get posts from a far wider area which kind of defeats the purpose of the site for me

SocketRocket

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
I find it particularly good when I've lost my cat, someone has a burn-up, there's dog ? down my road, I need to know when the tips open or someone parks across my driveway. Other than that a complete waste of time.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
Was on it for 6 months. Absolutely no useful information. I asked for a couple of tradesmen details - not a pip. Dropped out 12 months ago.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm registered on it. Originally I thought it might be useful for finding a local plumber etc but you can't really trust the recommendations anyway. It's mainly for comedy value now - you get some brilliant moans on there sometimes. Saw one guy trying to get a petition to stop Deliveroo drivers from using his road. :ROFLMAO:

Neilds

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'm registered on it. Originally I thought it might be useful for finding a local plumber etc but you can't really trust the recommendations anyway. It's mainly for comedy value now - you get some brilliant moans on there sometimes. Saw one guy trying to get a petition to stop Deliveroo drivers from using his road. :ROFLMAO:
We ‘use’ it for pretty much the same reason. We always have a chuckle when the same few people moan about the roads and new homes being built

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
We have a WhatsApp group for our road. It seems to be mostly used by those with young kids either giving away stuff they no longer need or looking for stuff. But it’s proving a god-send at the moment for any desperately in need of a RLF test and not able to find any…there is always someone in the street able to fill the need. We also use it for more general road stuff..organising get-togethers; sharing news; asking recommendations for tradesmen, restaurants etc…and asking for cars to be moved to leave or create space for deliveries etc.