Next US Ryder Cup captain

Severiano798488

Club Champion
Visit site
With Nick Faldo already installed as Europe's skipper for the 2008 Ryder Cup, the PGA of America is shortly to announce who will captain the US team at Valhalla in Kentucky.

Names being banded about in the US media are Paul Azinger, Corey Pavin and Fred Couples - who would be your choice? The Americans certainly need an injection of something to transform their fortunes. Could it be Azinger or Pavin, two of the more gung-ho members of the infamous US team that triumphed at the 'War on the Shore' in 1991?

Azinger's famous remark that "we whupped the Iraqis and now we've won the cup back" lingers in the memory. Disgraceful it may have been, but that kind of attitude was certainly successful and has been lacking from recent US teams. He's also had a long and fierce rivalry with Faldo, which dates back to the 1987 Open at Muirfield. If I was an American he'd be my choice. Obviously if he gets the job though I hope he fails miserably.

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I'd give Tom Lehman another go - he did nothing wrong (some of the outfits were rank but that was it) he just got risible backing from his big guns

Other than him Azinger is a good choice - he likes a bit of healthy competition

...not sure about 'Crazy' Pavin

PaulOHagan

GM Staff
Visit site
Zinger is a sure fire thing so i here- i think he will do a good job-seems to have the respect of his fellow players!

FergusB

Hacker
Visit site
Azinger would do a good job, he's got a lot of passion. It's a shame he won't be going up against Seve as Captain. Just picture it: Seve wouldd be coughing through his opening speech, making claims of Zinger switching buggies half way through the friday fourball's without informing the opposition. It would be classic.

Also. If Azinger's Captain and in the unlikely (and horrifying) event that the US win could you imagine his celebrations? If his ridiculous high-5 session at the Belfry is anything to go by I reckon he'd probably have some sort of routine rehearsed. He does a leapfrog over a crouching Phil Mickelson into forward roll then up for three star jumps and a cartwheel.

swingstar1

Assistant Pro
Visit site
says on a US website that he's the man and about to be announced - anyone know how him and tiger are supposed to get on?

FergusB

Hacker
Visit site
Was it Azinger that had a go at Tiger when he first turned pro because Woods said he would win by the end of the year?

muttleee

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Dunno but I remember that some pros got a bit peeved at Earl Woods when Tiger first turned pro with 7 qualifying events left on the money list that year, because he said that if you give Tiger 7 chances to win a tournament, he's going to win 1 of them. As it turned out, he won 2 of them. :)

furyk_or_unique

Assistant Pro
Visit site
... back to the US captain debate, Zinger's the obvious choice though it would have made good sense to give ol' chicken-neck Lehman another go (remember his bizarre neck-twitching when he won the open at Lytham?)

More to the point, why did wily old veteran Hale Irwin never get the nod - a steely competitor if ever there was one. Has he upset the powers-that-be in the States somehow, perhaps as a result of racing round the crowd high-fiving in a tight-fitting pair of scarlet slacks in the 1990 US Open???