Newbie driver & wood advice

Hardguy007

Visit site
Hi all.

Total newbie here so go easy on me. I’m looking for advice on a good 3 wood and driver for a novice (me). Looking probably 2nd hand as I’d rather have a good, cheaper, older club than a new lesser club. Budget say £60 each. I’ve the mindset too that a Calloway or titelist club is better than a Slazenger. I know that’s silly but that’s just me. Been looking on eBay the past week but I’m still none the wiser. Hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. Thanks, James.

BubbaP

Occasional Player of Golf
Visit site
Likely there will be many opinions, as a novice you won't really know what will suit, so good to not spend too much.
My suggestions would be good quality, but maybe less fashionable, so used & previous models can be found at decent prices.

Wilson staff D300 or D200
Benross HTX

Oops!

Hacker
Visit site
Hi,

I'd consider myself to be an "advanced beginner" and had the same problem not to long ago.

I kept looking literally everywhere for "very forgiving" clubs which were (are) suitable for high handycaps as well. Some providers (f. e. golfbidder) even apply additional informations ("handycap 0 - ...") - I appreciated that very much !

That way I found my Ping G15 woods (and irons), and I'm quite happy with them !

But please bear in mind that club developement hasn't stopped (2017) and that there is a strong possibility that there are better options available today - good luck !

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Bear in mind that I am certainly not an expert , but an experienced and not particularly good golfer, but if you are a very near novice my advice would be forget the driver and just go for a three wood.
Once you learn how to hit it decently you will have more of a feel for what club suits and then you can go and try a few. It'll save you money and not do your golf any harm. (If I was getting a fairway wood and a driver I would start with a five wood)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Bear in mind that I am certainly not an expert , but an experienced and not particularly good golfer, but if you are a very near novice my advice would be forget the driver and just go for a three wood.
Once you learn how to hit it decently you will have more of a feel for what club suits and then you can go and try a few. It'll save you money and not do your golf any harm. (If I was getting a fairway wood and a driver I would start with a five wood)
Good advice and Golfbidder would definitely have a large range from a lot of manufacturers and each club has a description including shaft flex (perhaps an R - regular) to start with unless you swing with excessive speed

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
Not silly at all. Ping drivers are probably the easiest to hit, if you go for an old G20 or G15, maybe get one with 12° of loft as the slightly higher loft will make it a bit easier as well. Same brand for woods really, the 'G' ranges are designed to be as forgiving as possible. Can't really go wrong with them. I use G25s and a G30 myself. Had a G15 driver years ago which was very good, I only sold it on because it was 10.5° and I wanted higher loft at the time.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
My advice to a new player is forget the driver for now.
Buy a good ping, Taylormade ,Titleist 3 wood and learn to hit that.
When you can hit that straight most of the time then look for a driver.
At first you will hit the 3 wood almost as far as a driver because it’s loft takes a bit of side spin out of the shot.
Driver is a different animal and even good players havnt tamed it years into the game.

rookiesteve

Hacker
Visit site
Hi all.

Total newbie here so go easy on me. I’m looking for advice on a good 3 wood and driver for a novice (me). Looking probably 2nd hand as I’d rather have a good, cheaper, older club than a new lesser club. Budget say £60 each. I’ve the mindset too that a Calloway or titelist club is better than a Slazenger. I know that’s silly but that’s just me. Been looking on eBay the past week but I’m still none the wiser. Hoping you guys can point me in the right direction. Thanks, James.

Benross come in pretty cheap second-hand even for their more recently made clubs, definitely worth a look on the likes of eBay or Gumtree.