New to the forum. New to golf.

chip barm

Club Champion
Visit site
Hi everyone. As i said, I’m new here and new to golf generally. I thought I’d ask some advice if that’s ok? Up until last week, I’d been to the driving range a handful of times over the years and played a course once. Last week I hit a few balls at the range again, then the following week played 18 holes with a pal, borrowing a spare set of clubs. I really enjoyed it. So much so, I’m contemplating buying my own clubs. I don’t want to spend a ton of money because I’m just getting going really but I want something that will still be useful in a couple of years. My problem, is the conflicting advice I’m getting from people of varying skill levels. Mates of mine say buy a set from Sports Direct, with a bag etc. One such set is the ‘Dunlop Tour Steel and Graphite Golf Set’ at £120. It’s appealing and I’ll be up and running immediately using clubs that are probably more than enough for my ability. Other people however, seem to think I should invest in good second hand irons. I've been doing a fair amount of research and found a set of black dot Maxfli Revolution irons 3-PW for around £100 but I’ve been told these clubs will be too advanced for me. Genuinely have no idea what to do now. I can hit a ball, no worries. My swing is pretty good i've been told. I don't force it or try and knock the skin off the ball. I'd just like to take the next step and need to know what you think is the best route for me. For example, assuming I’m still enjoying playing in two years, will the cheap new clubs be good enough for my hopefully advancing game or will the good second hand clubs stunt my development? Sorry for all the questions. Bet you've been asked this stuff a million times.

Last edited:

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Welcome to the madhouse :)

Personally would go the second hand route, you'll get more for your money and you wont outgrow them as fast.

Plenty of decent cavity backed iron sets available for £100 or under. Add a wedge putter and maybe a 3 wood and you'll have more than enough to get started. Can add a driver and a hybrid at a later date.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORKA-GS5-...633864?hash=item41ae544a48:g:8OMAAOSw7FRWbqB-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADAMS-A4R...647581?hash=item25b792e5dd:g:HbwAAOSwUuFW1XvF

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-GOOD...739019?hash=item41ab5af48b:g:LYQAAOSwBw5XRDaN

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Welcome to the madhouse :)

Personally would go the second hand route, you'll get more for your money and you wont outgrow them as fast.

Plenty of decent cavity backed iron sets available for £100 or under. Add a wedge putter and maybe a 3 wood and you'll have more than enough to get started. Can add a driver and a hybrid at a later date.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ORKA-GS5-...633864?hash=item41ae544a48:g:8OMAAOSw7FRWbqB-

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ADAMS-A4R...647581?hash=item25b792e5dd:g:HbwAAOSwUuFW1XvF

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/VERY-GOOD...739019?hash=item41ab5af48b:g:LYQAAOSwBw5XRDaN

This would be my suggestion as well, plenty of options out there on the likes of ebay and people on here are happy enough to help you make sense of it all.

Set of used irons and a wedge somewhere between 54-58 with over 10* of bounce. Will make next to no practical difference how used iron heads are as well, can easily go back 10 years just so long as the grips are decent

Odvan

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Welcome along.

Forgive me but forget your golf questions, your username has made me want one.

You can't be from down south, they have chip baps/rolls/muffins. Where are you based and looking to play?

And re your clubs, I started out about 4 years ago now. Deliberately invested in a new decent set of Mizuno Game Improvement irons (JPX HD 800s) so that I'd not 'back out', I was determined to play as I'd jacked in footy. I've moved onto other irons recently and so will be shifting these on soon but scour eBay, there's some good bargains to be had but if you do get the bug, you'll soon be spending again :D

D

Deleted member 21258

Welcome.

I started golf and bought a complete cheap set from Argos(cant remember the make), had them for about 5-6 months only played a few games and the head fell off the shaft on one of the irons! Took it back to argos and as they didn't have any stock got a refund.

I them bought second hand set for the same money which lasted me a few years before trading them in for a new set of x14s that I still have many years later.

When I was trying to get my daughter playing, I bought a very cheap set of new imported ebay(whoops) irons(not a particular make)...she didn't play almost with them, but my wife did later, however last year(after say 50 rounds of use max), the heads on two of irons broke, due to either bad materials or bad casting, as it was near the hosel/attachs to the head. She only hits a driver 150yards max and normally tops/thins the ball, so these were not taking much abuse.

Therefore I would agree will what was said above 100% buy from a respected place (shop to individual) and get a good quality genuine second hand set for the same money.

chip barm

Club Champion
Visit site
Welcome along.

Forgive me but forget your golf questions, your username has made me want one.

You can't be from down south, they have chip baps/rolls/muffins. Where are you based and looking to play?
haa. Yeah i know what you mean. It was nearly dinner time and i needed a golf-style username. Based in Manchester so will be looking to play in and around the North West really. Thanks for the advice, fundy and Hosel Fade. i'll have a look at those ebay links later. Sounds like second hand is the way to go then.

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
haa. Yeah i know what you mean. It was nearly dinner time and i needed a golf-style username. Based in Manchester so will be looking to play in and around the North West really. Thanks for the advice, fundy and Hosel Fade. i'll have a look at those ebay links later. Sounds like second hand is the way to go then.

Bring me 4 chip barms, and you can come to our course for free.

Vinegar first, then salt, brown sauce on the first two, the other two with no sauce.

Strike cola or pineappleade from the "alpine" man, then we're good to go.:thup:

Welcome BTW, loads of good lads in the NW.

Tashyboy

Please don’t ask to see my tatts 👍
Visit site
Al do it for three chip barms.

That aside I would not touch the dunlops for a gold pig. Deffo second hand the way to go, but and a massive but look out for fakes, that's another story.
Nothing wrong with second hand at all.

welcome to the nut house.

Face breaker

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Was gonna suggest as 'DarrenWilliams' has already that 'Callaway X' irons are probably a good starting point, you can pick a half decent set up on 'EBay' for around the 100 mark and as long as you choose carefully (look for tidy ones) they'll still be serving you well in a few years time...

jusme

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
I doubt you will ever find a golfer who will recommend buying a complete set from Argos/direct Golf etc. They are utter rubbish and for about the same money you can buy second hand from Ebay. For this you will get clubs from a few years ago (that performance wise are as good as those selling new today) that when new would cost 5/6 times what you can get them for now. Spoilt for choice on Ebay. If your looking for something specific I doubt you will be short of offers even on here! We all have too many clubs :)

Dornenglanz

Hacker
Visit site
I've been playing a whole month! Picked up a set of highly regarded second-hand cavity-backed, forged game improvement irons for £60. Added a putter from the for sale section for another £30. I had a 3W but I've stopped using it for now, and on the recommendation of my pro, added a 4H and some wedges. Total expense less than £200, and I could easily have done without the 4H (which I bought new, at a discount).

Pretty much everyone I've spoken to has recommended second hand. Ebay is full of things, but Golfbidder also seems to be considered worth a look.

Good luck!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Welcome along. I'd look second hand as others have said but I'd definitely be looking at a series of lessons too and get the fundamentals looked at to make sure it is as good as people say for a beginner. That's not meant to be disparaging but often newbies get told this sort of thing by people trying to encourage them. Get the grip, posture and alignment sorted and it makes it much easier. Enjoy getting into golf and enjoy the forum

chip barm

Club Champion
Visit site
Welcome along. I'd look second hand as others have said but I'd definitely be looking at a series of lessons too and get the fundamentals looked at to make sure it is as good as people say for a beginner. That's not meant to be disparaging but often newbies get told this sort of thing by people trying to encourage them. Get the grip, posture and alignment sorted and it makes it much easier. Enjoy getting into golf and enjoy the forum
thank you. yeah that's a really good idea. i'll look into it.