Ilkley

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Yeah, Headingley is probably up there but not so long ago it was £50

Since they put the big board at the entrance saying "Host of the English Amatuer Open" - green fees have risen very steeply.

I know they have introduced a joining fee and membership is full, so maybe a strategy to discourage visitors?
Yes, those Clubs who are moving their courses to another level are also doing so with Membership fees and Green fees.
!0 years ago I was a Country member at Seaton Carew for just £310.... it's now £700. However I'm playing there tomorrow in thier Senior Salver for just £35 (was £30 last year & £25 & £20 the years before that)
Other than Close House & Rockcliffe it must be the most pricey golf in the NE...... & membership is Full.

Mandofred

Visit site
Practice round there yesterday, very pleasant course. Flat. 15th par 3 is nice. Most greens have a decent amount of movement which I like. Played decent until the last 3 holes....+8 on just those 3. Absolute meltdown. Think I was probably +5 or +6 at that point. Younger guys in front of us (all constantly waiting on a 4 ball in front of them) were having a practice round since there is a round of the 1st teams from whatever division earlier in the day before our senior comp. Nice location though...along the river with the hills on both sides of the valley.

LincolnShep

Head Pro
Visit site
Yeah, Headingley is probably up there but not so long ago it was £50

Since they put the big board at the entrance saying "Host of the English Amatuer Open" - green fees have risen very steeply.

I know they have introduced a joining fee and membership is full, so maybe a strategy to discourage visitors?

Slightly embarrassing that they misspelled their sign. Maybe the increase in fees is to pay the signwriter to make the correction.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Yes, those Clubs who are moving their courses to another level are also doing so with Membership fees and Green fees.
!0 years ago I was a Country member at Seaton Carew for just £310.... it's now £700. However I'm playing there tomorrow in thier Senior Salver for just £35 (was £30 last year & £25 & £20 the years before that)
Other than Close House & Rockcliffe it must be the most pricey golf in the NE...... & membership is Full.
Seaton is only £1055 for full adult membership (although full). If you want extortionate in the NE try Wynyard, £1350. They really are trying to become top tier.

2blue

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Seaton is only £1055 for full adult membership (although full). If you want extortionate in the NE try Wynyard, £1350. They really are trying to become top tier.
Must say I didn't expect that. It's the cost of 'gated-village' exclusiveness I guess rather than quality golf, when the county's best parkland course is £950. If you can afford it Seaton is outstanding value though you will lose a fair bit of golf due to wind rather than ground conditions which are very, very good already in the season.

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Must say I didn't expect that. It's the cost of 'gated-village' exclusiveness I guess rather than quality golf, when the county's best parkland course is £950. If you can afford it Seaton is outstanding value though you will lose a fair bit of golf due to wind rather than ground conditions which are very, very good already in the season.
I've mentioned this on here before, but it's worth a repeat.

Two or three years ago, Seaton offered a winter membership for £200, half the members of all the parkland courses around here took up the offer and inundated the course. There was hell on, with a very disgruntled permanent membership barely able to get on their course. The offer was never repeated 😁