New to the forum. New to golf.

chip barm

Club Champion
Visit site
I was recently introduced to a new delicacy that had somehow passed me by in my youth in Wigan. The "Chip-shape barm". Ever heard of it??
nah never heard of that. it never made it over to warrington either i don't think, where i spent my youth. pea wet made me laugh though! nobody really knows what that is and when you tell them they always pull the same face. it was great over your chips. they were always reluctant to give you loads, fearing they'd end up with a solid block of dry peas! :D

bluewolf

Money List Winner
Visit site
nah never heard of that. it never made it over to warrington either i don't think, where i spent my youth. pea wet made me laugh though! nobody really knows what that is and when you tell them they always pull the same face. it was great over your chips. they were always reluctant to give you loads, fearing they'd end up with a solid block of dry peas! :D
Ok, so imagine your dads on his way back from his job down the pit at lunchtime. On his way back he stops at the chippy and buys a large bag of chips and 2 buttered barms. Once home he proceeds to make a lovely chip barm. He then lightly squeezes the chip barm from the top. Then, he scrapes off all the chips onto the 2nd buttered barm.

What you're left with is one glorious chip barm and one barm that still bears the imprint (and grease etc) of the chips it once so lovingly held. This barm was for the young child who just wants to eat lunch with his working Dad.

Ladies and Gentlemen, I give you, The Chip Shape Barm..... :D

fundy

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
Ok, so imagine your dads on his way back from his job down the pit at lunchtime. On his way back he stops at the chippy and buys a large bag of chips and 2 buttered barms. Once home he proceeds to make a lovely chip barm. He then lightly squeezes the chip barm from the top. Then, he scrapes off all the chips onto the 2nd buttered barm.

What you're left with is one glorious chip barm and one barm that still bears the imprint (and grease etc) of the chips it once so lovingly held. This barm was for the young child who just wants to eat lunch with his working Dad.

dont let anyone ever tell you northerners are weird ;)

Liverbirdie

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site

Did you get an action man deserter, as well?

chip barm

Club Champion
Visit site
Mizuno JPX 850 Irons XP105 steel shafts regular or stiff flex. I've seen them online at £420 5-PW. Clubhouse Golf Direct have them at £299 on sale or 4-PW for £349. Is this as good a deal as it appears and are these clubs too advanced for a beginner? I don't want to be one of those tossers who have all the stuff and can't play see.

Hosel Fade

Tour Rookie
Visit site
Mizuno JPX 850 Irons XP105 steel shafts regular or stiff flex. I've seen them online at £420 5-PW. Clubhouse Golf Direct have them at £299 on sale or 4-PW for £349. Is this as good a deal as it appears and are these clubs too advanced for a beginner? I don't want to be one of those tossers who have all the stuff and can't play see.

Think its a case of they are technically not for beginners specifically but it just depends how much you practice

Alucard

Blackballed
Banned
Visit site
Hi everyone. As i said, I’m new here and new to golf generally. I thought I’d ask some advice if that’s ok? Up until last week, I’d been to the driving range a handful of times over the years and played a course once. Last week I hit a few balls at the range again, then the following week played 18 holes with a pal, borrowing a spare set of clubs. I really enjoyed it. So much so, I’m contemplating buying my own clubs. I don’t want to spend a ton of money because I’m just getting going really but I want something that will still be useful in a couple of years. My problem, is the conflicting advice I’m getting from people of varying skill levels. Mates of mine say buy a set from Sports Direct, with a bag etc. One such set is the ‘Dunlop Tour Steel and Graphite Golf Set’ at £120. It’s appealing and I’ll be up and running immediately using clubs that are probably more than enough for my ability. Other people however, seem to think I should invest in good second hand irons. I've been doing a fair amount of research and found a set of black dot Maxfli Revolution irons 3-PW for around £100 but I’ve been told these clubs will be too advanced for me. Genuinely have no idea what to do now. I can hit a ball, no worries. My swing is pretty good i've been told. I don't force it or try and knock the skin off the ball. I'd just like to take the next step and need to know what you think is the best route for me. For example, assuming I’m still enjoying playing in two years, will the cheap new clubs be good enough for my hopefully advancing game or will the good second hand clubs stunt my development? Sorry for all the questions. Bet you've been asked this stuff a million times.

Hi Chip Barm, I am also new to this website and I just came across your question and in my opinion the second hand route is definately the way to go.

I started up again and bought a set of Ping Eye 2 irons (the best clubs that ping ever made) in my opinion and I am out hitting everyone at the golf course with them on my return to the game with 20 years out.

Do not fall into the manufacturers trap of selling you expensive new clubs and remember that in the old days there were only Blades and all new players had to learn to hit them as there was no choice but they learned to hit them by grooving a good repeatable swing.

My advice it to see your local pro and see if he has some cheap second hand clubs for sale, even half a set will do and take some lessons with him.
I am sure then he will let you trade the clubs back with him against a newer set should you feel you require one in the future.

I have just purchased a set of Slazenger SB-02 forged blades from the early 1990s and like the Ping eye 2s (which are cavity backs) from the same era they are also great for me.

I could have spent 2 or 3 grand on a set of Miuras and I could not hit the ball any better. I also have an old set of Tiger Shark Great Whites with the gilled backs and they are great too. Old clubs perform just as well as new ones provided the shafts and the grooves are in good order.
Lessons from a good teaching pro before you develop bad habits are the key and then you will be able to hit any clubs and you will be in a better position to decide for yourself what you want. all the best with your golf.

Last edited:

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
haa. Yeah i know what you mean. It was nearly dinner time and i needed a golf-style username. Based in Manchester so will be looking to play in and around the North West really. Thanks for the advice, fundy and Hosel Fade. i'll have a look at those ebay links later. Sounds like second hand is the way to go then.

Hey I am based in Stockport and just joined Hazel Grove, I am relatively new to golf too so if you ever fancy a game just give me a shout.

Danny

Robertoe

Hacker
Visit site
Hey guys,
New to the forum and new to golf. I'm getting to the age where contact sports are pretty much over now for me (36-years-old), but I've always had decent hand-eye coordination and I'm looking at taking up golf. Can anybody recommend a Golf Club around Altrincham/Cheshire where I could get lessons?
Thanks
Rob

SteveW86

Head Pro
Visit site
I have my old set which I could sell you.

Pretty much brand new Taylor made Rocketballz. I have 4-pw and also 3 and 5 wood, with regular flex shafts. I have a pretty much brand new lightweight mizuno carry bag too. Everything you would need bar a putter to get started. Not looking for a lot of money, don't want to see them taking up space in the garage so someone else may as well have them.
Let me know if you're interested or want any pics

Dannyj1984

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hey guys,
New to the forum and new to golf. I'm getting to the age where contact sports are pretty much over now for me (36-years-old), but I've always had decent hand-eye coordination and I'm looking at taking up golf. Can anybody recommend a Golf Club around Altrincham/Cheshire where I could get lessons?
Thanks
Rob

Google get into golf, there is a search on there for local clubs doing beginner groups etc. I did mine at Hazel grove in Stockport and I've now joined the club. But if you don't wanna travel that far I'm sure one of the clubs near you will be running beginner courses

Chip barm is also in Manchester so could meet up for a beginners round somewhere local once you are a bit more confident 👍🏻

Danny

Karl102

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hey guys,
Thanks
Rob

A few on here went to Jason Dransfield Didsbury but I think he has moved. Our pro at Lymm is good and there are a few in Warrington with good reputations such as Adrian Fryer at Tru Fit.....

NWJocko

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wtf is "Pea Wet"!!!????

if you want a full set of irons look at less fashionable, but good quality, brands like Adams, Cobra, Bridgestone etc aswell on eBay.

D

Deleted member 1740

Wtf is "Pea Wet"!!!????

if you want a full set of irons look at less fashionable, but good quality, brands like Adams, Cobra, Bridgestone etc aswell on eBay.

Pea wet is the juice off the peas over your chips.

It's a delicacy from St Helens. Wrong 'uns

Qwerty

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wtf is "Pea Wet"!!!????

Its like a Jus for Chips, mainly found in and around Bolton and Wigan at lunchtime.

Sounds like you've been missing out on a Lancastrian Delicacy - Chip Barm Pea Wet & Scraps :thup:

[video=youtube_share;fglEmRE19q0]http://youtu.be/fglEmRE19q0[/video]