New to the forum - looking for new club in Surrey

Jackooo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Welcome to the forum. I've played a fair few of the courses in Surrey, especially in the area of Merrist Wood. Although I haven't played Merrist recently I used to play regularly and found it an OK course. Being honest I thought it was a bit soulless and can suffer in the winter due to water retention. Around that area you have the three W's, Woking, Worplesdon and Woking which are top, top notch...but at a high price! The same can be said of tracks such as Hankley Common and Hindhead, the latter I know is just as excellent in the winter as the summer. In your area, Windlesham is good, Pine Ridge is nice but is a public course, the same with the Downshire and Blue Mountain in Bracknell. Traditions in Pyrford is another public and busy course, flat but ok. Nearby is Pyrford which is more private, with a bit more features. There are the main driving range courses Silvermere and Hoebridge, which again are public and busy. Guildford is more private, hilly and a good course when wet. Not far from Merrist is Hurtmore on the A3...a short course and very public. Nearby is Milford, which is less busy for a semi public course and a good tack. West Surrey is close by and is a private course. Nice course but heavy in the winter.

Hope that helps.

Wow thanks for the great reply! I notice you live in Godalming; can I ask where you play?

I have been looking at Guildford as they have a great offer on at the moment: £355 for my age annually, they have dropped the joining fee as a 125th year anniversary offer.

Hindhead is a beautiful course, however slightly further that I would like.

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
Plenty of choice for very good courses in Surrey - and quite a few great ones too!

Camberley Heath on your doorstep is classy but full of classic old-fart members.

Merrist Wood is an adequate trak, if not as classy as CH, but is attached to the Golf side of a local Uni, so plenty of 'young and aggressive', if temporary, players there.

Could well be a good idea to play a few ans decide which best fits your requirements.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Wow thanks for the great reply! I notice you live in Godalming; can I ask where you play?

I have been looking at Guildford as they have a great offer on at the moment: £355 for my age annually, they have dropped the joining fee as a 125th year anniversary offer.

Hindhead is a beautiful course, however slightly further that I would like.

I was a student member of Guildford in mid-late 1980's but had to resign as they wanted 895 student membership! :eek: That was in the days when they were private and rolling in it. Now they are less so. I would go and have an explore of Guildford (public right of ways all through it) and check the state of it, as I've heard mixed reports about the condition and importantly, the future of the club.

I haven't been a member of a club since Guildford, hence the reason I've played lots of the courses in the area. I mainly play Hindhead as a guest and also because my teaching Pro is there. For me its the best around because of the privacy, state of the course, particularly during winter and the wet. Granted its not cheap, but they do occasionally have special offer open days.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
How far are you from Leatherhead (don't know Surrey that well!)? I have played Tyrrells Wood quite a few times and it is a lovely course. http://www.tyrrellswoodgolfclub.com/ If I lived locally I could see myself joining there. That's not to take anything away from Camberley, it is a great course. But Tyrrells Wood might be a bit cheaper? Always seems a decent club atmosphere whenever I have gone there.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Mill Ride isn't too bad although another that can get rather boggy. As detailed elsewhere their parent company have gone into receivership although Mill Ride itself isn't affected. I've enjoyed playing it and it does represent a decent test. Of course, Royal Ascot is cheaper, there are a number of forum members that play there (so you'll always get a game) and I'd be happy to show you round :thup:

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Played Guildford a few years ago, and thought it not a bad course. For the money they want to join I would be tempted. Drains well so good for all year round golf, and the hills shouldn't be too much of a bother at your age ! Might be worth seeing if they will let you play the course first before commiting

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Nope. I've already said the greens look a mess even though they putt well enough if not up to your speed requirements Smiffy. Its young and improving year on year and offer a good challenge especially the par 3's
Homer. You have a terrible memory mate. We were talking about "hidden gems" about 3 months ago and you nominated Royal Ascot. Surely you can't have forgotten?????

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Mill Ride is not a bad course, suspect it can get very muddy in wet times.

The member I played there with is leaving to join Camberley. One of his main reasons is the greens at Mill Ride are not very good. I only played there once and they were not too bad - member told me that they were the best they have been all year!

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Homer. You have a terrible memory mate. We were talking about "hidden gems" about 3 months ago and you nominated Royal Ascot. Surely you can't have forgotten?????

You have to keep the faith and yes I do think its an underrated course. Sadly it was at its peak about two years ago when we had the last GM day there and the greenkeeper lost the plot from there. Thankfully the rumour is he's lost his job now too and so we can pray they get to work on them and get them back this year. If they do recover then I'd argue that it could be classed in that category.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Mill Ride is not a bad course, suspect it can get very muddy in wet times.

The member I played there with is leaving to join Camberley. One of his main reasons is the greens at Mill Ride are not very good. I only played there once and they were not too bad - member told me that they were the best they have been all year!

Out of interest, does Camberley operate a booked tee policy all day every day or are there times when you can rock up as a member and just go out?

TXL

Q-School Graduate
Visit site
Out of interest, does Camberley operate a booked tee policy all day every day or are there times when you can rock up as a member and just go out?

There are members roll ups on Monday & Wednesday mornings. There is a mega rollup on a Friday - referred to as the Friday Greedy. Saturday there is a rollup that starts at 1pm in summer but earlier when the days are shorter.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
You have to keep the faith and yes I do think its an underrated course. Sadly it was at its peak about two years ago when we had the last GM day there and the greenkeeper lost the plot from there. Thankfully the rumour is he's lost his job now too and so we can pray they get to work on them and get them back this year. If they do recover then I'd argue that it could be classed in that category.

Homer

with all due respect. You could transport the greens from Augusta and put them on Royal Ascot mate and it still wouldn't be a "hidden gem". Sorry