New to the forum - looking for new club in Surrey

Jackooo

Assistant Pro
Visit site
Hi there!

After taking a small break from golf to concentrate on my career I am now slowly getting back into it! I'm looking for a club to join in Surrey (I live in Camberley). I've been in contact with Merrist Wood GC who are offering a great intermediate membership package and at 23 year old fit perfectly into the 19-24 year old bracket.

Wondering if anyone has any other recommendations of courses in the area? Also if anyone is a member at Merrist Wood or have played there, what are your thoughts on it?

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
played camberley heath last year on a forum meet, if i was anywhere close that place would have my money at the drop of a hat, TXL is quite involved there so maybe worth pm'ing him,

Last edited:

Aztecs27

Money List Winner
Visit site
played camberley heath last year on a forum meet, if i was anywhere close that place would have my money at the drop of a hat, TXL is quite involved there so maybe worth pm'ing him,

This. In spades. If I lived in Camberley it would be an absolute no brainer. Awesome course.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
the only downside i found to the course was the company.... but i suppose you cant have everything :whistle:

I had the same problem.:whistle: Actually there is another downside, I CAN'T PLAY THE COURSE.

I was just going to go off in a sulk that you played there last week OS and didn't invite me.;)

Oddsocks

Ryder Cup Winner
Visit site
i wished rich, i liked blackmoor alot, but camberley.... i loved all the elevation changes, i think there is only about 4 flat holes.... and the beer was pretty good too ;)

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
Camberley Heath is, unfortunately slightly out of my price range.

You'd be more than welcome to wander down to Royal Ascot for a game. Our greens aren't great at the moment but the club have a plan in place to deal with it and it is a good test of golf. Don't get me wrong they putt ok but just don't look brilliant. No pre-booked times so you can just turn up and play whenever (subject to no comp being on)

Windlesham is worth a look but it does get wet in the Winter and its booked times. Downshire is a muni near Wokingham/Bracknell border and is good but gets very busy and again can be boggy in Winter. I guess it depends what your budget is, how often you plan to play etc

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I thought there is someone on here that is a member at Merrist Wood ? If you prepared to travel west, you could like at Farnham which I think does good deals, Oak Park or the Army Club at Farnborough.

Piece

Tour Winner
Visit site
Hi there!

After taking a small break from golf to concentrate on my career I am now slowly getting back into it! I'm looking for a club to join in Surrey (I live in Camberley). I've been in contact with Merrist Wood GC who are offering a great intermediate membership package and at 23 year old fit perfectly into the 19-24 year old bracket.

Wondering if anyone has any other recommendations of courses in the area? Also if anyone is a member at Merrist Wood or have played there, what are your thoughts on it?

Welcome to the forum. I've played a fair few of the courses in Surrey, especially in the area of Merrist Wood. Although I haven't played Merrist recently I used to play regularly and found it an OK course. Being honest I thought it was a bit soulless and can suffer in the winter due to water retention. Around that area you have the three W's, Woking, Worplesdon and Woking which are top, top notch...but at a high price! The same can be said of tracks such as Hankley Common and Hindhead, the latter I know is just as excellent in the winter as the summer. In your area, Windlesham is good, Pine Ridge is nice but is a public course, the same with the Downshire and Blue Mountain in Bracknell. Traditions in Pyrford is another public and busy course, flat but ok. Nearby is Pyrford which is more private, with a bit more features. There are the main driving range courses Silvermere and Hoebridge, which again are public and busy. Guildford is more private, hilly and a good course when wet. Not far from Merrist is Hurtmore on the A3...a short course and very public. Nearby is Milford, which is less busy for a semi public course and a good tack. West Surrey is close by and is a private course. Nice course but heavy in the winter.

Hope that helps.