New Titleist SM7 wedges

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
I had a demo and fitting for the new Titleist SM7 wedges this afternoon. Yep, the were lovely and some slight visual differences from the SM 6 AND 5's that I currently use. Are the worth £130 each? They didn't seem to do anything that my current ones don't! Also, the fitter said that they at optimum use for 75 rounds - after which they lose 10% spin! I'm not planning to change.

Any one else had a go?

Hobbit

Mordorator
Visit site
Looked at them on Monday, along with the SM6's in the rack next to them that were up for sale for less than £70... I'd rather save £60 and buy the SM6

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
People must be buying them or they wouldn't bring out new ones each year but really why? They are pretty much the same since SM4 (apart from aesthetics)

madness to think you buy 3 wedges and it's close to £500

Andy

Tour Winner
Visit site
People must be buying them or they wouldn't bring out new ones each year but really why? They are pretty much the same since SM4 (apart from aesthetics)

madness to think you buy 3 wedges and it's close to £500

Guy on Facebook groups today flogging a PXG wedge for £575. Madness no matter how good it looks.

turkish

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Guy on Facebook groups today flogging a PXG wedge for £575. Madness no matter how good it looks.

PXG stuff is hideous looking too!!!

If I had unlimited funds I would like to the the JP wedges experience but really off the counter Vokeys, clevelands, macdaddys etc are good enough for anyone. Like all clubs they fire out a lot of jargon with regards grooves and grinds etc but for us amateurs there will be little difference from one year to the next

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
PXG stuff is hideous looking too!!!

If I had unlimited funds I would like to the the JP wedges experience but really off the counter Vokeys, clevelands, macdaddys etc are good enough for anyone. Like all clubs they fire out a lot of jargon with regards grooves and grinds etc but for us amateurs there will be little difference from one year to the next

I can understand finding a grind or bounce dependent on your home course, type of bunkers etc but after that I totally agree. Once you have say a 58 SW with 8 degrees of bounce and it works on your course there seems very little reason to be changing them. Again are we really going to notice that big a trade off in control once the grooves get a little worn.

mhwgc

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I had a demo and fitting for the new Titleist SM7 wedges this afternoon. Yep, the were lovely and some slight visual differences from the SM 6 AND 5's that I currently use. Are the worth £130 each? They didn't seem to do anything that my current ones don't! Also, the fitter said that they at optimum use for 75 rounds - after which they lose 10% spin! I'm not planning to change.

Any one else had a go?

Where did you go for the fitting, were you able to hit off grass or mats?

chrisd

Major Champion
Visit site
Where did you go for the fitting, were you able to hit off grass or mats?

I did it at my own club in Kent. Most of the fitting was off a mat in the practice bay but I did hit some 60* shots off grass as part if the Trackman number crunching