New Rules for Professionals?

Boomy

Visit site
Giant fans down every fairway (I don’t mean 8ft spectators, fans as in wind blowing devices) (and not as in the American wind blowing devices that shout “mashed potato” and “in the hole” from 480yards) - they really don’t seem to cope too well with a bit of wind ? Narrowing the fairways and growing the rough would work at a lot of courses, but isn’t possible at them all - it either needs a premium on accuracy or a limitation on ball distance (and possibly making it harder to control spin with them too)
D752FF75-DC59-476A-B404-0F37EC517A8E.jpeg

Junior

Tour Winner
Visit site
Add a premium on accuracy by growing rough , and, make the maximum amount of loft allowed 56 degrees, thus making short-game more creative and bunkers proper hazards.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
On one hand I like the approach of making the course tougher (kinda seems like the 'natural' defense) although on the other hand, it takes weeks, even months, to prepare a course for a Tour event and that means all the rounds played by the amateur members/visitors etc in the preceding weeks would also have to be played on a course that's unduly tough, just so the course is 'fit' to hold a tour event

Just make 'tour ball/s' that perform to certain specs
(they could still have diff grades for the various tours)

benjo09

Visit site
Maybe I'm the odd one out but one of the reasons I enjoy watching pro golf is seeing what the pros can do with the same equipment as me. Yes sometimes it can be good to see them struggle but I also have nothing against them going low. Just shows what great athletes they are IMO.

Backache

Assistant Pro
Visit site
There is no such thing as side spin. Balls can only spin on one axis. How the spin axis is aligned to the balls direction of travel is what shapes its trajectory.
Surely when the axis is not parallel to the direction of travel we call it side spin?

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
Maybe I'm the odd one out but one of the reasons I enjoy watching pro golf is seeing what the pros can do with the same equipment as me. Yes sometimes it can be good to see them struggle but I also have nothing against them going low. Just shows what great athletes they are IMO.

If they do bifurcate with the ball (which seems the most sensible route to take), there will be nothing stopping you buying the "Pro ball" to see how you can do with the same equipment as them.

Slab

Occasional Tour Caddy
Visit site
So what would the elite amateurs use if they qualify for a pro event like The Open?

Whatever the designated ball is for that tournament/tour I suppose. They could have a PGA or ET tour ball but nothing to stop them using diff spec ball in different countries/climates I guess
(they could even have different ball specs for different climates within same tour. So they could use ball x in New York but ball y in Nevada)

Golfnut1957

Visit site
Whatever the designated ball is for that tournament/tour I suppose. They could have a PGA or ET tour ball but nothing to stop them using diff spec ball in different countries/climates I guess
(they could even have different ball specs for different climates within same tour. So they could use ball x in New York but ball y in Nevada)

If that is the direction we are heading then what is to stop the PGA Tour from designating a PGA Tour ball that fly's even further and has less side spin with which the pro's can hit 450 yards. Then the USGA/R&A ball would only be used at professional events sanctioned by them. The Open, US Open and Ryder Cup.

wjemather

Visit site
Fewer clubs, smaller clubheads, bladed irons and a shorter, spinnier ball would all hugely improve the pro game by restoring the premium on ball striking and shotmaking (and course management), while bringing many of the features of original course design back into play.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
If that is the direction we are heading then what is to stop the PGA Tour from designating a PGA Tour ball that fly's even further and has less side spin with which the pro's can hit 450 yards. Then the USGA/R&A ball would only be used at professional events sanctioned by them. The Open, US Open and Ryder Cup.

Although they don't like being at their beck and call, the PGA recognises the the benefits of complying with the sport's rules bodies.
But if things start going too far against their own and their players wishes then I guess it's a case of watch this space.

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
You don't need formal bifurcation. Just introduce Local Rules or Terms of Competition (a la One type of ball Condition or the new OOB LR) which can be utilised by any committee.

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
You don't need formal bifurcation. Just introduce Local Rules or Terms of Competition (a la One type of ball Condition or the new OOB LR) which can be utilised by any committee.

I totally see what your saying and you make a very good point but don't you think the R&A and USGA would prefer something more definitive and solid in place? I would think if they are going to look at clubhead CC (is there any mention of MOI changes?) and a change to the ball they would want definitive rules to cover this and not leave it to a local rule or term of competition.

Obviously you're in a position of farm ore authority but thought it makes an interesting question

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site
I totally see what your saying and you make a very good point but don't you think the R&A and USGA would prefer something more definitive and solid in place? I would think if they are going to look at clubhead CC (is there any mention of MOI changes?) and a change to the ball they would want definitive rules to cover this and not leave it to a local rule or term of competition.

Obviously you're in a position of farm ore authority but thought it makes an interesting question
I wish I did have some influence but I believe the OOB LR and 46" drivers are pointers.

sweaty sock

Hacker
Visit site
Ive said it numerous times before, but I'll try again.

If players hitting it shorter, but more accurately, with a premium on ball striking due to the penal rough, on courses we can all play, with little to no obsolescence in the historic great tracks.

Why not watch the LPGA/LET.

It provides this every week. Yet no ones cares...

I wonder if we reframed the distance debate as "Way's to make the Men play more like the Women" it might gain more traction...

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
The downside with introducing penal rough is the effect it has on club members of the host course as it's a long term decision to let the rough grow (or help thicken it) for an event in town for just one week. Consider what effect that would have on your own game and pace of play if it happened at your club. Would you really appreciate looking for so many balls every week in the build up to the tour event?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I totally see what your saying and you make a very good point but don't you think the R&A and USGA would prefer something more definitive and solid in place? a change to the ball they would want definitive rules to cover this and not leave it to a local rule or term of competition.

There has always been the 'conforming balls list' which is used at pro and top amateur events

phillarrow

Visit site
There are so many different ways to restrict the current trend for bombing drives and then dealing with wherever it ends up - narrower fairways, more penal rough, more use of OOB for tournament play etc. - that I don't actually believe it's necessary to bring in bifurcation. (Personally, I'd just make a local rule for pro tournaments that the gap between 320 and 400 yards on each hole is OOB!)

However, if this is the route they choose to go down, then I'm all for it. Anything to make it more of a game for the best ball strikers, rather than biggest hitters, is a positive in my view.