New Rules - Summary

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
The R&A/USGA produced a handy summary chart which set out the major rules changes. (https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&s...QIAxAB&sqi=2&usg=AOvVaw2dn903nn6VqnJyynFksSL4). However it is obviously based on an early draft of the proposed changes (eg, amongst other things, it refers to 20/80 inches instead of 1/2 club lengths when referring to relief area).

Anyone know if they produced something similar based on the final approved changes? Got a link ?

I know all the changes are documented and relatively easy to find on line, but the summary chart was useful because it was easy to read, easy to print.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
There is an updated version of that summary chart of the major changes dated March 2018 (when the new rules came out) on the USGA website or it might be on the R&A website. It takes a bit of finding.

It is however the only the major changes and a trawl through the rule book produces about another 20.

If you cannot find it let me have an email address and I will let you have it. I have also done a chart of the other changes not on that chart.

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Colin's link does not take you to where you can find the chart.

It is weird but that is the webpage address shown

I got to it by doing a search for 'Summary Chart' on the USGG home page and one of the options shown is

Golf's New Rules: Resources Charts... Charts... Click here to access downloadable versions of our papers, charts, and infographics....
Rules and Decisions |http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/golfs-new-rules-resources.html

note it is not this one

Modernizing Golf's Rules: Resources Charts... Charts... This chart shows how definitions and key terms have changed in the proposed new Rules....
Rules and Decisions |http://www.usga.org/content/usga/home-page/rules-hub/rules-modernization/modernizing-golf-s-rules--resources.html

Scroll down to 'charts'

The link now works

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
Forgive me if I'm being dim but ...

ColinL's link - takes you to individual explanations of each change, but not to the "handy chart"
Jim8flog's post #6 - is "no longer available"
Jim8flogs further post #8 - has many links, but all (as far as l can tell), including a "handy chart", end up at explanations referring to (among other things) relief areas of either 20 or 80 inches in size.

Which, as we are going to continue with 1 club, or 2 club measurements, suggests to me fhat other items may well not be properly updated within those links/documents

All my searching keeps going round in circles and coming back to the same things with references to "inches" suggesting "old versions". (Or are fhe Americans being different to the UK, and continuing to use the absolute measurement in inches ?)

upsidedown

Tour Winner
Visit site

ColinL's link - takes you to individual explanations of each change, but not to the "handy chart"
Jim8flogs further post #8 - has many links, but all (as far as l can tell), including a "handy chart", end up at explanations referring to (among other things) relief areas of either 20 or 80 inches in size.

Which, as we are going to continue with 1 club, or 2 club measurements, suggests to me fhat other items may well not be properly updated within those links/documents

All my searching keeps going round in circles and coming back to the same things with references to "inches" suggesting "old versions". (Or are fhe Americans being different to the UK, and continuing to use the absolute measurement in inches ?)
USGA are using club lengths,

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

If you use the first link I gave in post 8 and not the second one (which I had pointed out in case your search took you to the wrong chart) you will find the March 2018 version of this chart by scrolling down to charts. This chart refers to one and two club lengths.

If you find a chart that says 20 and 80 inches you have used the wrong link

backwoodsman

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you use the first link I gave in post 8 and not the second one (which I had pointed out in case your search took you to the wrong chart) you will find the March 2018 version of this chart by scrolling down to charts. This chart refers to one and two club lengths.

If you find a chart that says 20 and 80 inches you have used the wrong link

I did pose the question as to whether l was being dim 😁 - seems l was!

Ta.

clubchamp98

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
So it says you must use the club you are going to use for the shot.
What happens if you drop in a divot or get a really bad lie .
Can you change clubs.?

How can it say it makes the drop area the same size for everyone as someone who plays clubs 3” longer has a bigger area than someone who plays 3” shorter than standard.

Or have I read it wrong. .?

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site
I'm taking the liberty of starting a new thread for
So it says you must use the club you are going to use for the shot.
What happens if you drop in a divot or get a really bad lie .
Can you change clubs.?
How can it say it makes the drop area the same size for everyone as someone who plays clubs 3” longer has a bigger area than someone who plays 3” shorter than standard.
Or have I read it wrong. .?

I'm taking the liberty of starting a new thread to answer. See Relief Area

Bruce Miller

Visit site
The new rules are the most major changes in the rules of golf in 30 years which came into effect in 2019. Most golfers want to know all the changes quickly and guides are easier to follow as official rules or charts have to be very accurate and complete which takes a lot of text.

Golfers seem to want to know how to handle the new "Penalty Areas - red and yellow" and the number of strokes involved in a penalty and the procedures. This 4 " x 6" guide has been #1 in Amazon sales in Golf Coaching.

If you can, please share this and help everyone learn the new rules. Thank you.