Rumour mill - new rules

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Based upon the rumour mill (fairly good source)

It seems that the only likely changes in the proposed new rules will be 20" will be one club length and dropping the ball will become place.

Colin L

Tour Winner
Visit site

It seems that the only likely changes in the proposed new rules will be 20" will be one club length and dropping the ball will become place.

Thanks for that Jim. Currently I am too concerned about trouble at t'mill over handicapping to be paying attention to the new rules :)

rulefan

Tour Winner
Visit site

Do you mean the 20" and 80" and low drop proposal will simply be 1cl and place?

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
My understanding was that the 20" and drop (virtually placing) will be one club and place. No mention was made of the 80".

My suspicion is that 20" and 80" will revert to one and two club lengths but dropping will still be required, perhaps from a greater height than one inch of air space. Placing changes the game signficantly - see Decision Misc./1

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
My suspicion is that 20" and 80" will revert to one and two club lengths but dropping will still be required, perhaps from a greater height than one inch of air space. Placing changes the game signficantly - see Decision Misc./1

It does, but these are company rules around dropping and redropping that the simplification that results from placing would cut a huge amount of rules, decisions and time (it can get painful watching the existing procedures in the hands of professionals!
The 1" drop wasn't the answer IMO.

rulie

Head Pro
Visit site
It does, but these are company rules around dropping and redropping that the simplification that results from placing would cut a huge amount of rules, decisions and time (it can get painful watching the existing procedures in the hands of professionals!
The 1" drop wasn't the answer IMO.

The stated purpose was not to change the game, just simplify the Rules and their application.

duncan mackie

Money List Winner
Visit site
The stated purpose was not to change the game, just simplify the Rules and their application.

Given the stated intention to simplify the rules it is inevitable that some elements of the game will change.

The rules are as they are to support the current game.

pogle

Head Pro
Visit site
Something drastic was needed to remove the confusion and potential for error that currently exists around when does a player re-drop and when not. The number of decisions needed to clarify (!) this is testament to the fact that it isn't reasonable to expect weekend players to know what to do.

Before the proposed rules appeared I was convinced we were going to move to an always place / never drop situation. I'm not sure whether what is currently proposed is better.