New membership in Surrey / Hampshire / Berkshire border (Camberley) - any ideas?

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Hi all,

I'm a member at Hoebridge GC in Woking, Surrey. The course isn't in great shape at the moment, as well as a few other frustrations with the course setup, so I have decided to look elsewhere for a membership.

I've Googled clubs and enquired about prices, but I know other members are the best way to get the low-down about a club.

My biggest gripe is playing in the winter - I play all year through, I'd like to join a dry-ish course. Ideally less than £2k a year!!!

Anyone have any suggestions?

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
Best draining courses I know in the area are mine and Hankley Common. Hankley is within your annual budget but the joining fee is well over £5,000. Have a feeling there is a healthy waiting list as well. Liphook is good as well, and good access down A3. Annual memberships in our area are around £1750. Ours is £1595, plus £75 bar levy.

I probably play more in the winter than in the summer, as my course drains so well. Relatively flat, but with nearly all greens raised. You will get the idea on Monday. ?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
We have been open at Royal Ascot all winter (when other local courses like Mill Ride or Windlesham have been shut or reduced) and greens in particular in great condition. We spent significant money from the Red Bull air race in improving drainage especially on the back nine and it's made a significant difference. It is a open club with a number of weekend and weekday roll ups so easy to get a game and a full competitive diary as well. PM me if you have any specific questions

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
I played Hoebridge last Summer and it was great. Has it gone downhill since then?
The course hasn't recovered from the summer of 18. This summer was good, the greens were good, but now the wet is here there's a lot of long patches of grass in amongst bald patches. The 9th green is a great example, as is the 2nd green. 1 foot off the green and it's a gamble if you're on a bald patch with thick grass behind the ball, or just on a bald patch of muddy clay, or in thicker than fairway/ 1st cut rough... it's infuriating. The greens are so damp, there is little point in putting, we're giving 3 foot gimmes' because genuinely the ball will bobble offline from 1 or 2 foot from the hole. I wish I took pics last weekend, some of the greens were like miniature mountain ranges.

Plus, as a member, the course are piling on the societies etc (last Friday there were 6, last Saturday there were 4) so it's tough to get a good tee time even with 10 day advanced booking, and of course with that footfall from non-members / non-regular players as societies often are, the course gets damaged. Buggies galore, in this weather, rips up fairways etc. Even with white lines painted around a 20 foot no-drive / trolley zone around the greens, they are ignored, so it's pretty awful.

This is happening more and more, and it's just become too many negatives to the positives... so it's time for a change!

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
Farnham is generally very well draining (a couple of areas take a little longer to drain in very wet conditions if there is run-off from neigbouring fields - but we are still talking a day or two max and not weeks) and so we can play every day of the year - other than when there is snow on the ground :)

We are doing some exciting new bunker build and bunker re-modelling work on four holes at the moment - and IMO the changes and additions will enhance the look and the challenge of the holes. Our experience of doing a lot of similar work over the last two years is that the bunkers come into play very quickly - so I'd expect them to be in play by start of next season - if not soon after.

We're also building three large new tees on our practice grounds - each of the three tees incorporating artificial turf for when we need to give the grass a rest. This will compliment our large chipping area and indoor swing studio.

Happy to take you round if you fancy a knock and look-see. It's also a great members club, and is well in your budget.

@richart will try and coax you to Blackmoor - but Hampshire hey ;)

Foxholer

Blackballed
Visit site
If you want quality all year round golf in this area, then the only option is one of the sand-based (heathland) courses. The likes of Camberley, Farnham Blackmoor and a few others should be within budget and relatively close. Those that are on 'Bagshot Clay' (like Windlesham) are likely to be challnging for greenkeepers to maintain for 'proper' golf in winter.

I'd suggest you take SILH's offer up! Not played it myself, but I can vouch for the quality of Blackmoor and Camberley.

SwingsitlikeHogan

Major Champion
Visit site
If you want quality all year round golf in this area, then the only option is one of the sand-based (heathland) courses. The likes of Camberley, Farnham Blackmoor and a few others should be within budget and relatively close. Those that are on 'Bagshot Clay' (like Windlesham) are likely to be challnging for greenkeepers to maintain for 'proper' golf in winter.

I'd suggest you take SILH's offer up! Not played it myself, but I can vouch for the quality of Blackmoor and Camberley.

I've not played Camberley (another sad omission surely to be rectified next year) - but I've played Blackmoor a few times (though not for a few years now) and think we measure up well against it.

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
I've not played Camberley (another sad omission surely to be rectified next year) - but I've played Blackmoor a few times (though not for a few years now) and think we measure up well against it.
Having been a member of both clubs, Farnham for over 20 years and Blackmoor for over 12 years, I think I know which I prefer !!!! ? ?

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site

Camberley is not unfortunately, the joining fee is £2500 to start with!

dufferman

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
Farnham is generally very well draining (a couple of areas take a little longer to drain in very wet conditions if there is run-off from neigbouring fields - but we are still talking a day or two max and not weeks) and so we can play every day of the year - other than when there is snow on the ground :)

We are doing some exciting new bunker build and bunker re-modelling work on four holes at the moment - and IMO the changes and additions will enhance the look and the challenge of the holes. Our experience of doing a lot of similar work over the last two years is that the bunkers come into play very quickly - so I'd expect them to be in play by start of next season - if not soon after.

We're also building three large new tees on our practice grounds - each of the three tees incorporating artificial turf for when we need to give the grass a rest. This will compliment our large chipping area and indoor swing studio.

Happy to take you round if you fancy a knock and look-see. It's also a great members club, and is well in your budget.

@richart will try and coax you to Blackmoor - but Hampshire hey ;)
Thank you for the offer, it may be a little too far - as Rich said, I'm playing Blackmoor Monday so I will be able to gauge driving distances etc then!

Jonnoj

Visit site
You should definitely look at Guildford, probably the best all year round course in the area that doesn’t require heavy joining fees etc. Subs are similar to most in the area and it’s a fun course to play regularly, I should know as I’m there every week!

richart

Major Champion
Visit site
What about West Byfleet. Think there are a couple of members on here that can advise on winter conditions. Nice heathland course, and probably within budget ?

idiotdogbrain

Visit site
I notice Puttenham doesn't come up that much when Surrey is talked about - I really enjoyed playing there as a junior but that was 25 years ago! Is there a reason it doesn't get a lot of love? Membership fees don't seem too bad and iirc it's on sand so should drain well?

D

Deleted member 15344

Out of the courses mentioned - Hankley is lovely but Blackmoor wins for me , course is lovely , very playable , always seems great in the winter , a lot of work done on the clubhouse which looks great now and members really nice ?