new irons - your assitance please

golf_bug

Head Pro
Visit site
I am thinking about a new set of irons.

Been playing for nearly 2 years now and my current irons are MX19s. I am striking teh ball ok at the moment and am slowly chipping away at my handicap, so am thinking I may benefit from a club with a bit more workability.

Have been offered £120 for my MX19s by Golfbidder and want to limit spend to £200, making budget £320 on Golfbidder.

Possibilities I have been looking at:
- MX25s - forged but still a game improver iron....will it last me over the next few years in my quest for a single figure hcp?

- Titleiss 775s - these are cheap, but not that old tech. Forged, but probably more of a player club than MX25s. Will they be too hard to get on with initially?

Any advice greatfully accepted. I have not ruled out sticking with the MX19s, but quite frankly I fancy a change!!!!

Cheers
golf_bug

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Honestly? I can't see the point.
What you have is ideal...get some new irons if you want new irons but don't do it on some "idea" to somehow change your game. The Titleists you mention are really not for anyone looking for help from a club (they are conventional irons, hardly G.I.) and although exceptionally good, might be a step too far. Why not get a nice friendly set of Mizunos aimed at mid h'cap (8-18?). I can "work" the ball with Super G.I. irons if I want......no problems, but I only do it when I have to.
Like I say to folk with "easy-to-use" irons, until you are hitting every ball flush and straight, why make things harder for yourself?

HomerJSimpson

Hall of Famer
Visit site
I agree with Dave. If you really want to improve then I'd suggest looking at getting a couple of decent wedges with the right bounce to suit your course and in particular the bunkers. If you can get a decent short game your handicap will fall as you scramble

golf_bug

Head Pro
Visit site
cheers guys.
Its not really that the MX19s are bad, I just feel I would benefit from a better club as my ball striking has improved considerably over the past few months.
I'll give it some further thought.

RGDave

Money List Winner
Visit site
Its not really that the MX19s are bad, I just feel I would benefit from a better club as my ball striking has improved considerably over the past few months.

I'm not anti the idea (despite my post). There has been a lot of talk on here about "feel" and forged vs. cast irons and all sorts, and we mostly go round in circles with this stuff.

f.w.i.w. I enjoy playing with less G.I. irons than my h'cap might suggest. Although the mid irons in my set are certainly G.I. the short ones are bog standard cavity type.

I carry a big bertha 4 iron for tight tee shots and tactical lay-ups (and shots between 5 and 3!!). It is offset and colossally forgiving with an MPF of over 1,000. This is way more than the 600 or something of my Mizunos. What I do know is that a good shot is a good shot, regardless of club, but a peach with my Mizunos is really satisfying in both flight and result, whereas the big bertha is not the same....it just kind of "goes there" without fuss; I never know if it's any good or not.

I you are accurate with short clubs (8/9/PW) then a sweet shot with a club closer to a proper players iron is going to feel good, fly good and give you confidence. I couldn't see myself ever playing with a full set of X-20s or big berthas....

Why not have a go with a few of the more muscle-backed clubs and see for yourself. If I was custom building a set for myself I'd probably have half mp-52s (7-PW) and half mx-950s (4/5/6)....I do think a progressive set is probably the best of both worlds.

golf_bug

Head Pro
Visit site
well after my pitiful round today I am thinking a move to more of a players club might be a step too far. I'll stick with the MX19s for the timebeing and maybe take the plunge if I can get my hcp down to around 12 this year (currently 16.0).

I actually think I may benefit more from an electric trolley. I was absolutely drained walking up the last today....it can't help my game!

kentish

Visit site
Dont buy anything untill youve had them out on the course.
I know only some will let you take them out,but find one and save yourself the ag.
cheers