New irons....hitting dreadfully

davmar18

Visit site
I recently bought a new set (second hand) of some Wilson Staff D7 irons, from Golfbidder.
I was up until now using a set of Bay Hill irons that were given to me by a friend.
I researched online and these irons were rated as being great for beginners, and getting the ball in the air etc.
Honestly, I'm hitting terribly with them. Terribly.
They're undoubtedly better quality clubs than the Bay Hill ones. But I was hitting far straighter and further with them.

It's only been two range sessions so far, but they just feel so wrong.
I do think the lofts are different compared with thr Bay Hill ones, which might explain something.
The main problem tends to be hitting the ground before the ball, and also skewing it off to the right (I'm right handed).
Maybe theyre just too long for me? Theyre standard length and I am 5'6.
I'm wondering whether this is just me adjusting to new clubs... or are they just wrong for me?! I think Golf bidder will give me a refund if I send them back within seven days... so I might just do that.

Any advice here please? Thanks.

nickjdavis

Head Pro
Visit site
Well....lets address the length issue....when you compare like for like clubs....are the Wilsons longer than the Bay Hill irons? By how much?

jim8flog

Journeyman Pro
Visit site
*At 5'6" it could well be that the clubs are too upright for you so the heel is hitting in to the ground.

If recent means within 7 days of purchase remember golfbidder will take them back minus shipping costs.

*Worth doing a static fit on somewhere like ping.com to get a guide to the correct lie etc.

Crow

Crow Person
Visit site
It's just new clubs and wanting to see an improvement, you're probably trying too hard and not relaxing into your normal swing.

I switch clubs all the time (three rounds this week, using three very different sets) so am used to not worrying about what clubs I'm playing, but if you've been playing one set for a while and have just invested a chunk of money on new clubs then the desire for them to work can make you tense and play crap.

Orikoru

Tour Winner
Visit site
If you think the shafts are too long, there's an easy way to tell - just hold them an inch further down the grip and see if you hit them better then. 🤷🏻‍♂️

cliveb

Head Pro
Visit site
The most important thing to remember about golf equipment is that it's the tool holding the tool that makes nearly all of the difference.
Consider this: a PGA pro can pick up anyone's 7 iron and hit it better than its owner.

bobmac

Major Champion
Visit site
If you're hitting the ground before the ball, you may have too much weight on your right foot at impact.
Try the drill below. Hit the front ball but not the back ball.
If your not confident, replace the back ball with something softer....a headcover or a small rolled up towel.
That will help with a proper weight transfer

Hooker

Assistant Pro
Visit site
I think as it's golf bidder you should use the 7 day return while you can.

If you don't like the clubs when you first get them you are likely never going to like them.

I am the same height as you and I don't tend to like big headed clubs which are slightly longer designed for extra distance as they can feel unwieldy.

I suspect they are designed for your average person who is probably closer to 5'8?