New handicap system

Tonythetiger

Visit site
Hate this new handicap system. I queried at our golf club if our senior championship should be played off scratch. I was told no. Full handicap. You can guess the rest. Our new champion is off 33 and it just doesn't seem right to me. I am not that good myself but I believe a championship should go to the best golfer not the best handicap. Am I being discourteous ?.

Imurg

The Grinder Of Pars (Semi Crocked)
Visit site
Our Senior Championship is a Full Handicap Medal
We know that before we enter.
If you knew it was a handicap comp before you entered then you have to accept the outcome.
If handicaps at your club are flawed due to the new system and players not entering enough cards then the club need to get to work and make sure all entrants have an up-to-date index.
Oh, and welcome to the Forum;)

Tonythetiger

Visit site
Our Senior Championship is a Full Handicap Medal
We know that before we enter.
If you knew it was a handicap comp before you entered then you have to accept the outcome.
If handicaps at your club are flawed due to the new system and players not entering enough cards then the club need to get to work and make sure all entrants have an up-to-date index.
Oh, and welcome to the Forum;)
Thank you.

Smiffy

Grand Slam Winner
Visit site
Hate this new handicap system. I queried at our golf club if our senior championship should be played off scratch. I was told no. Full handicap. You can guess the rest. Our new champion is off 33 and it just doesn't seem right to me. I am not that good myself but I believe a championship should go to the best golfer not the best handicap. Am I being discourteous ?.
????????

doublebogey7

Head Pro
Visit site
I too struggle with linking the word championship to handicap golf, but I guess it's entirely up to your competition committee. If you don't like it, then mount campaign at your club to oust the current committee with those that are like minded.
Could you explain please, what it had to do with WHS.

BiMGuy

LIV Bot, (But Not As Big As Mel) ?
Visit site
I always thought 28 was too high and that that 18 should be the maximum HC for comps.

But it’s not the fault of the WHS. It’s the fault of whoever decided to increase the HC limit.

IanM

Journeyman Pro
www.newportgolfclub.org.uk
Lots of clubs have a gross and net competition for their "Club Championships."

The Champ is lowest gross.

I won the handicap comp in the Club Championship at my club once. I have never thought of it as a win as a Club Champion.

I don't think you're being discourteous. It's just maths.

Last edited:

GG26

Challenge Tour Pro
Visit site
Whilst higher handicaps can enter and win divisions, board comps at our place have a max handicap of 28 for the winner.

To me club championships would suggest the best gross. Ours is and rightly is the most prestigious. Sadly, I’ll never win it, but the handicap system gives me the opportunity to win the other competitions.

PhilTheFragger

Provider of Entertainment for the Golfing Gods 🙄
Visit site
No. Bit if it was scratch golf then it would definitely be won by a decent golfer rather than a possi le bandit.

Amazing as it may seem, not all high handicap players are bandits, and to infer so is poor.

As others have said gross @ net prizes are the way forward, so have a word with your committee

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site

You are. You have one opinion, others have another. And you are comparing apples and oranges. Net and gross competitions. Each has their role. Nothing at all wrong with a 33 hc winning. Congratulate them heartily on their fine win.

Tonythetiger

Visit site
Amazing as it may seem, not all high handicap players are bandits, and to infer so is poor.

As others have said gross @ net prizes are the way forward, so have a word with your committee
I did not infer that at any time. Whilst looking at our honours board it is noticeable over previous years that all the championship winners were very good golfers but it is now possible to win this with a handicap of 54 and I am sorry but this doesn't ring right with me. Where has the challenge gone to try and improve or just sit back and say oh well that's another crap card this week and I might get another shot back.

Backsticks

Assistant Pro
Banned
Visit site
I did not infer that at any time. Whilst looking at our honours board it is noticeable over previous years that all the championship winners were very good golfers but it is now possible to win this with a handicap of 54 and I am sorry but this doesn't ring right with me. Where has the challenge gone to try and improve or just sit back and say oh well that's another crap card this week and I might get another shot back.
Nothing wrong with winning it with a 54 hc. Of course they were lower before - the limit was 28. Winning a hc competition is nothing about improvement. Its about scoring the best relative to your handicap.